Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"

A post to the Elite: Dangerous forums announces that Elite: Dangerous has entered the final frontier, as Frontier Developments' space combat game has left beta testing, and has entered the gamma phase, if not the gamma quadrant (thanks Dave). This paves the way for the game's planned official release on December 16th, as gamma is an infrequently used term for a release candidate. Here's word on the changes that mark the occasion
The first gamma build will be released in a little over an hour. People will be kicked from the server shortly . Here is the change log for the build:

• Playable area no longer restricted to beta bubble
  • Playable ship Python added
  • Playable ship Orca added
  • Kickstarter starting ships and locations added
  • Freagles added
  • Capital ship events added
  • Fix crash following docking and accessing starport services
  • Fix for multiple input devices not working - for example pedals and throttle from multiple input device controllers
  • Chances for USSs increased
  • Fix for cargo hatch not ejecting any cargo when malfunctioning
  • Workaround for AMD white lines issue
  • Check to make sure the target is this machine that this machine is ready to receive authority
  • New games account for fines, bounties, and permits
  • Added missing text strings for Federal and Imperial missions
  • NPC Comms in Another Castle Unidentified Signal Sources should now only display the new target destination rather than listing multiple destinations

View : : :
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes
Nov 25, 2014, 04:03
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 25, 2014, 04:03
Nov 25, 2014, 04:03

the framework/engine is staring to look pretty good. Cant wait till they put some game in this game. And put some multiplayer/coop in this too. But the framework is awesome. And cant wait till some modders get ahold of this. Imagine a starwars theme replacement.

Nov 24, 2014, 22:12
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 22:12
Nov 24, 2014, 22:12

There are still tons of USS points. I made some money doing that. I bought the hauler when I could afford it...didn't realize trading was slowed down.

Probably due to just being in a completely unfamiliar section of space. It's like that penny arcade comic of Mass Effect where they explain it's like learning how to swim. "That's good, now...just drown less."

Nov 24, 2014, 22:08
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 22:08
Nov 24, 2014, 22:08

Not sure how to find combat zones. I've had this issue with this game for awhile. In the early beta it was easy because Eranin and Dahan both had them, but they were 2 of the 5 or so systems available. Now it's a needle in a haystack. I was thinking the gal news thing would give hints as to where to look, but so far I haven't seen anything useful.

And the "weird" missions taught me how to use the improved galaxy map and station commodities.

Nov 24, 2014, 22:06
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 22:06
Nov 24, 2014, 22:06

All I got is a Sidewinder and 100 credit. I gotta figure out this money making thing. It wasn't an issue before just went out to the distress signals and started blasting away pirates. I don't even know how to refuel yet lol
Steam: SpectralMeat

Nov 24, 2014, 22:02
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 22:02
Nov 24, 2014, 22:02

There are still the missions to deliver X goods to Y station. But now there are faction gaining missions where you buy some food staple and give it away. I've done a few, but have no idea how many of these it takes to unlock the higher tier...the interface just puts a little blue up arrow next to whatever faction, but it still says "neutral".

I've been making money by scanning the systems in between the settled ones and selling the data. Then doing missions that aims my exploration in a different direction.

I'm not sure, I'm still figuring it out. The money curve seems to have been severely flattened. And like I said, I'm still trying to find a station to upgrade my hauler above 8 cargo slots. That seems to be the main thing holding me back.

Nov 24, 2014, 21:58
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 21:58
Nov 24, 2014, 21:58

So how do you start making money than if there are no combat zones, or how do you find them? I am not too sure about these missions yet. The ones I can take on are weird ones and the easy ones aren't available due to lack of standing with the faction.

Nov 24, 2014, 21:46
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 21:46
Nov 24, 2014, 21:46

Hmm, good point. I do recall right before the gamma update flying around Eranin and not seeing the usual combat zones.

On my hauler, I don't even have a gun mounted. When I get interdicted, I can jump before even taking 1 shield ring of damage.

I bought a heat sink after almost melting passing by a couple dwarf stars, though...kind of tells you what's more threatening at the moment.

Nov 24, 2014, 21:34
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 21:34
Nov 24, 2014, 21:34

Have they though or are we too close to the core systems to receive kill missions?

As for the nearly dead NPCs jumping, yes it frustrates the hell out of me. But when I've also managed to jump at 4% hull I can see that it's a realistic tactic.

Nov 24, 2014, 21:08
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 21:08
Nov 24, 2014, 21:08

I think pirating/bounty hunting is broken atm. Not really my thing, but the complaints I've heard from the forums are basically that pirating is impossible because it's so easy for ships to jump out after getting interdicted. The limpets that supposedly cause ships cargo bays to open fail 90% of the time and cost a fair amount of $$ for each reload. That in addition to all the gear you need to buy to scan cargo bays/warrants.

Bounty hunting would seem to be easier, since you just need to destroy the ship, but you still face the target jumping away almost immediately.

Unless you have a Cobra, you don't cause much of a mass-lock, making it even easier for the interdicted ship to escape.

Then again, Frontier have been balancing the betas (and gamma?) to focus on different areas of the game. Maybe this one is focused more on trading? All the missions to go kill things (except for criminal bosses really hard to find) have gone away.

Nov 24, 2014, 20:57
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 20:57
Nov 24, 2014, 20:57

Anyhow my night ended up pretty shite - my friend who is good at soldering came over to take a look at the usb socket on my EDtracker (homemade trackir) which had completely come off the Arduino Micro Pro taking two tracks with it. He arrived JUST when I should have started cooking for the family so we ended up having pizza. After a while everything was working, then we popped to the shops and spent too much on tat like normal.

Come home and just as my friend is leaving I realise the Edtracker is dead again, this time it works sporadically but I could see the problem joint. So scrape back the glue gun glue and resolder the dodgy connection. That's when it became clear the surface mount capacitors on the arduino had been through enough - as they started moving around the board.

So my EDtracker is dead and then it hits me. Buying pizza for my family or 5, my friend and his son cost as much as buying a complete, built, tested EDtracker from the guys who actually invented the thing.

Oh and bounty hunting is frustrating - half you're interdiction target's will vanish just as you start to get into range. Half the ships you interdict will jump at 30% health. You can't use anything but lasers on most targets or the ammo cost will equal you're bounty. Oh and never try bounty hunting in a developed system - either the local security force will arrive and hit you're target once meaning you get no bounty, or they'll just fly into you're fire and fine you for the privilege.

I've actually downgraded from a Viper to a Hauler simply because the hauling job is a steady income compared to a near bottom of the range viper trying to bounty hunt (had the money - not seen modules worth upgrading too)

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2014, 21:02.

Nov 24, 2014, 20:03
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 20:03
Nov 24, 2014, 20:03

Lorcin wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 18:49:
You can search? it's one of the tabs in the galaxy map. I did have to write down my path once - but that was only just after the gamma went live and server was unstable.

Hate to say it but I fear this game will get marked down because people are used to being spoon fed games now.

Yes you can search, but having missions end/expire while you are planning a route in galaxy map and checking if you can make the distances with a full load of cargo is annoying. Especially getting fined for that cargo.

Even the option to set your next jump just to place a symbol in your in-ship navigation so you can select your next jump easier after you've planned it. Going from system to system is easy, but when you've tracked a bunch of gold down 6 systems away from where you're needed to complete a big $ mission and have a heavy load limiting your jumps, it could help. This is the future in game, I think it is easier to have computer navigation than pen and paper.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Nov 24, 2014, 19:48
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 19:48
Nov 24, 2014, 19:48

The map is a lot more useful now... Maybe it was there before, but I don't recall seeing it, on the system view of any planet you can see it's import/exports. Makes figuring out where to source goods much more accessible. Also, in a port's commodity market, you can see where they import/export goods from/to.

Still trying to find a port that sells a bigger cargo hold. The game seems to be coming together now...not knowing what to do has me exploring just to see what's around, which feels kind of right. I'm also in an area of space where fish are sacred and illegal to be used as food, though most of the missions are asking me to find fish.

Nov 24, 2014, 19:21
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 19:21
Nov 24, 2014, 19:21

Lorcin wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 18:49:

Hate to say it but I fear this game will get marked down because people are used to being spoon fed games now.
yep my thoughts exactly

Nov 24, 2014, 18:49
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 18:49
Nov 24, 2014, 18:49

You can search? it's one of the tabs in the galaxy map. I did have to write down my path once - but that was only just after the gamma went live and server was unstable.

Nov 24, 2014, 16:48
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 16:48
Nov 24, 2014, 16:48

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 15:13:
You know I think the problem was I was looking for the station in the wrong system. The game started me up in some L3.. whatever system and the delivery was supposed to be made to a station in L3... whatever system so I was looking for the station on the left side in the menu but other than asteroid belts and planets I did not see the station there.
I ended up canceling the mission, I will try another one tonight.
I am pretty sure I needed to do a system jump but I didn't pay attention to what system I was supposed to deliver and what system I was in.
Most missions were paying like 1,000-2,000 credit this one was almost 4k so.

I wanted to go to SOL system too but it was too far and the computer didn't let me jump due to not enough fuel.
So yeah there are a lot of things I gotta learn before the game goes live.

My main gripe is travelling through multiple systems to get to a target. The galaxy map can be confusing, and the in ship system listing doesn't list connections so if you can't spot your target you're screwed. I wish I could type in the system I wanted in the galaxy map and have it plan my route rather than back tracking from my target to my current location, hoping I can make each system jump to get there. I have seen several station names that are similar to system names as well, I got lost once going to a wrong target, returned to finish the mission, a little too late and ate a HUUGE fine for illegal cargo.

I did not know SOL was available... making my trip to Earth tonight in my Cobra mk3 before the final wipe takes it away.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2014, 17:35.

Nov 24, 2014, 15:13
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 15:13
Nov 24, 2014, 15:13

Dacron wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 15:04:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 09:38:
By the way the gamma is pretty buggy, using TrackIR and mouse controls the menus are just all screwed up. TrackIR moves the menus around and I think it causes issues with the mouse. Even with the joystick controls in the menu the "enter" key doesn't register I actually have to hit enter on my keyboard. Hope that will get patched up because it is pretty annoying.
I also have to learn how to navigate the map, took on a mission to deliver some booze and I've had no clue where to go. Checked the mission blurb but couldn't find the station I was supposed to deliver to.

I only use the galaxy map for planning multiple system jumps, if it is a single jump mission I find it is much easier to use the menu on the left (the one with missions) to find the system your travelling to (if it is within your range, at the bottom of the menu with local planets/stations)... I have gotten 1 mission so far without a specific station to go to, it had a system listed so I tried the 3 stations in the system and finished it on the 3rd. It was a delivery mission as well (Fish I think).
You know I think the problem was I was looking for the station in the wrong system. The game started me up in some L3.. whatever system and the delivery was supposed to be made to a station in L3... whatever system so I was looking for the station on the left side in the menu but other than asteroid belts and planets I did not see the station there.
I ended up canceling the mission, I will try another one tonight.
I am pretty sure I needed to do a system jump but I didn't pay attention to what system I was supposed to deliver and what system I was in.
Most missions were paying like 1,000-2,000 credit this one was almost 4k so.

I wanted to go to SOL system too but it was too far and the computer didn't let me jump due to not enough fuel.
So yeah there are a lot of things I gotta learn before the game goes live.

Nov 24, 2014, 15:04
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 15:04
Nov 24, 2014, 15:04

By the way the gamma is pretty buggy, using TrackIR and mouse controls the menus are just all screwed up. TrackIR moves the menus around and I think it causes issues with the mouse. Even with the joystick controls in the menu the "enter" key doesn't register I actually have to hit enter on my keyboard. Hope that will get patched up because it is pretty annoying.
I also have to learn how to navigate the map, took on a mission to deliver some booze and I've had no clue where to go. Checked the mission blurb but couldn't find the station I was supposed to deliver to.

I only use the galaxy map for planning multiple system jumps, if it is a single jump mission I find it is much easier to use the menu on the left (the one with missions) to find the system your travelling to (if it is within your range, at the bottom of the menu with local planets/stations)... I have gotten 1 mission so far without a specific station to go to, it had a system listed so I tried the 3 stations in the system and finished it on the 3rd. It was a delivery mission as well (Fish I think).

Nov 24, 2014, 14:46
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 14:46
Nov 24, 2014, 14:46

Bundy wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 14:14:
Given that, there's gonna be another save game wipe before release.
Yeah that is fine, at least I gotta get used to the navigation and how to get around so I can start working on missions ones the game goes live.
I haven't played it since beta 1
Even docking was an issue last night, practice practice practice

Nov 24, 2014, 14:14
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 14:14
Nov 24, 2014, 14:14

Armengar wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 08:57:
The sheer fact that refunds are being offered at all is a plus.
Definitely since the other space game doesn't offer any. It will be interesting to see the drama from those $10,000+ backers when something they wanted to have in that game won't make it in.
Then Chris will give us a washing machine or clothes hanger for our hanger and it will be all good, like a Jedi mind trick.

Definitely still buggy. The game told me I have a ship parked in a station in this one system, so I go there and check it out. It's my eagle, all well and good. Then I notice another system is flagged as having a ship parked. So I check out the system view. Nope, no stations have a ship for me waiting. Galaxy map says otherwise, but there you go.

Also, it's going around the forums, some blokes have found an exploit available from the very start of the game that let's you create infinite credits. They're not sharing how, but in a couple hrs you can have the best ship in the game fully decked out.

Given that, there's gonna be another save game wipe before release.

Nov 24, 2014, 09:38
Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 09:38
Nov 24, 2014, 09:38

Armengar wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 08:57:
The sheer fact that refunds are being offered at all is a plus.
Definitely since the other space game doesn't offer any. It will be interesting to see the drama from those $10,000+ backers when something they wanted to have in that game won't make it in.
Then Chris will give us a washing machine or clothes hanger for our hanger and it will be all good, like a Jedi mind trick.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2014, 09:51.
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older