Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy

The Elite: Dangerous Newsletter #50 outlines a refund policy for backers of Elite: Dangerous, following firestorm that resulted from the announcement in their previous newsletter that there will be no offline mode in the upcoming space combat game. The newsletter has a Q&A with David Braben about this, as he explains that there will still be a single-player mode, that this doesn't make Elite: Dangerous an MMOG, and that they have regrets over not revealing they were "struggling with this aspect" sooner than they did. Since the community reaction includes demands for refunds, he explains how these are handled:

Will you give people refunds?
We have started responding to requests where there is a clear outcome:

• Those who have pre-ordered an Elite: Dangerous release version from our online store and have therefore not yet played the game are eligible for a refund.
  • Those who have already been playing the game online in the Alpha and/or Beta phases, regardless of whether they backed the project via Kickstarter or purchased access to Alpha and/or Beta through our online store, are not eligible for a refund.

We want to make sure we treat each person's situation with the thoroughness it deserves, and have contacted each of them to ask that they bear with us over the next few working days if their circumstances do not fit either criteria above as we look into individual requests.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

155. 4/1? Nov 23, 2014, 19:26 Ant

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 12:29:
How about renaming Blue's News to Boo Hoos?
Maybe on April 1st beside the boring Pink News.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

154. Re: Open Elite? Nov 21, 2014, 13:00 jdreyer

TheVocalMinority wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 07:09:
Came across this the other day, haven't played so don't know if it is any good but may scratch and itch for those who want to play an Elite type game offline:
http://www.oolite.org/

Ditto for this game: Pioneer.

Here's a video review.

Game blurb:

Pioneer is a space adventure game set in our galaxy at the turn of the 31st century.

The game is open-ended, and you are free to eke out whatever kind of space-faring existence you can think of. Look for fame or fortune by exploring the millions of star systems. Turn to a life of crime as a pirate, smuggler or bounty hunter. Forge and break alliances with the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination. The universe is whatever you make of it.

Pioneer is under constant development and has a friendly community of players, modders and developers around it. We release a new version almost every day. We'd love for you to try it and make part of the galaxy your own!

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

153. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 21, 2014, 12:29 Mad Max RW

How about renaming Blue's News to Boo Hoos?  

152. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 21, 2014, 11:48 SpectralMeat

Ventura wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 06:05:
bigspender wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 20:58:
i have obviouosly missed something here - people are freaking out because the game has single player that will occasionally sync with an online world to keep it dynamic?

Occasionally sync? Man, if you're going to post about the topic, at least do your homework.

What the new Elite's solo mode is closer to is basically playing WoW but being able to turn all other players off in the options. There's nothing "occasionally" about it, every time you so much as let a fart rip in your craft, the game phones home to tell the server.
Yep so you can get some air freshener ads pop up at the next space station when you dock.
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Steam: SpectralMeat

151. Open Elite? Nov 21, 2014, 07:09 TheVocalMinority

Came across this the other day, haven't played so don't know if it is any good but may scratch and itch for those who want to play an Elite type game offline:
http://www.oolite.org/

"How easily we let ourselves be taken in by partisan labels" - Solzhenitsyn

150. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 21, 2014, 06:05 Ventura

i have obviouosly missed something here - people are freaking out because the game has single player that will occasionally sync with an online world to keep it dynamic?

Occasionally sync? Man, if you're going to post about the topic, at least do your homework.

What the new Elite's solo mode is closer to is basically playing WoW but being able to turn all other players off in the options. There's nothing "occasionally" about it, every time you so much as let a fart rip in your craft, the game phones home to tell the server.

149. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 21:34 clint

Sounds like an awesome feature to me - this would have been awesome in skyrim, instead of making it into an mmo. .

no we are not. and yes that would be a awesome add on feature to skyrim. Especially if you could coop. awesome stuff. proper coop would be awesome in elite too. Hope it gets added

No this is about being a group of people who saw a selling point in this game no matter how trivial that may be, then have it taken away, and when they spoke about it, were made to feel like nothing, like idiots and that they have no right to complain or even get a refund. Then another bunch of people gets involved who believe that customers need to be treated better than this before this gets out of hand and it is ok to say whatever you want in a kickstarter and deliver differently for the betterment of all consumers. Then another group who continues to think people shouldnt get upset about their favourite game and want to shut them up get involved (yet always resulting in the opposite). Then another group who continue to think that this is about just a internet connection feel the need to push the benefits of it get involved. Then another group of people who see people stupidly thinking that this is about something so trivial as needing an internet connection get involve and feel the need to lecture.
Then it becomes a argument about who has the right to complain if you are unhappy, where that line actually is (how can anyone agree on that) and what rights a person vs company has. Also that companies only listen to people yelling and ignore everyone else yet wonder why people yell and scream so often about anything.

so no this is not over a few bytes of data.

It's fun to watch humans in action.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2014, 00:33.

148. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 20:58 bigspender

Sounds like an awesome feature to me - this would have been awesome in skyrim, instead of making it into an mmo.

147. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 20:27 clint

WaltC wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:42:
NegaDeath wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:17:
WaltC wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:05:
This sounds like much more worry about online DRM than it is about technical feasibility.

It does seem odd that there's all this work supposedly being done on the server that would be too time consuming for them to move to the desktop on a forked offline version of the client, yet only a tiny mount of data is actually being transmitted and received during solo mode. Too early to declare SimCity style shenanigans on that though imo.

You know...it's funny...I learn a lot about myself this way at times...;) When Microsoft took away the start menu I thought, "Big deal--I hardly use it, anyway!" And then, I absolutely hated the fact that they'd attempted to take it away! Went right out and tacked on another one. LoL...;) Guess I used it more than I thought--or maybe I just like it there--comfortable--like an old shoe...;) I have a great Internet connection--practically bumped right up against a fiber node--it's great--and it;s fairly inexpensive, too! Yet, I want my darn *off-line mode* of play for my games! It's the principle of the thing, you know? And it makes me seethe when companies start laying out lines of thick PR gobbledegook to explain why it is "necessary" to take something away from me that I'd prefer to keep!

(I'm no xBone customer--computers only, of course--but when they started that stuff about Great server Farms in the sky making local computer hardware resources meaningless--I blew a gasket over that crap! OK, hang on while I down another beta-blocker...! People getting hoodwinked has always set me off the wrong way--I don't like it and I don't think it's either clever or admirable. That's me...;) Dying breed? Sometimes I wonder...)

i am exactly the same. and I always choose a manual car and get my kids to learn in a manual car because I think it's important to know. Stuffed if I can adequately explain why enough to convince people who believe otherwise.

However no matter how trivial this is. Offline was a selling point to this game to many. Especially to those who loved elite (and thus the market for the backers). And yes the principle of this is far more important than the trivial inconveniance. Proof being that this would have died off the day it happened.

146. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 19:35 HorrorScope

Not sure I've seen a game fall from grace as fast as this.  

145. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 19:15 jdreyer

Squirmer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 19:01:
Personally I'm more interested in Enemy Starfighter.
Yeah, it does look cool, but pretty different from LT & ED.

144. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 19:01 Squirmer

Personally I'm more interested in Enemy Starfighter.  

143. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 19:01 Squirmer

Might want to wait and see what Limit Theory turns out like. I'm still not convinced there's an actual game there. All the dev updates seem to be about how amazing the UI is.  

142. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:42 jdreyer

D4rkKnight wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 18:26:
Any offline experience would be fundamentally empty. We could write a separate mission system to allow a limited series of fixed missions, but that would still not be a compelling game, and is just the first step in the mountain of work that would be required.

That's what I thought, making a real story with interesting missions would take a lot of work that they don't want to create. Don't expect an engaging storyline in this game, its going to be "player created".

Regarding this, I find it amazing that Josh Parnell can make essentially the same game as Braben for less than 1% the cost in essentially the same timeframe. BY HIMSELF. And the game can be played offline, and be modded, etc. There are definitely things the E:D does or does better than LT, but I expect a lot of that to be rectified when modders get ahold of it.

141. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:32 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:12:
The answer is: never pay for *anything* until the seller can provide what he promises for your cash. Very simple. Promising A for up-front cash but delivering B is the oldest scam there is! A little common sense goes a long way

Don't agree with you on much, but agree with this. I only fund KS projects in an amount I'm willing to lose. If there's even a hint of something odd, I just wait. I have plenty unplayed in Steam.

140. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:30 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:07:
I'm far too addicted to the internet to live where I can't have a decent connection, in fact I did move to get away from dial up many years ago. I only see things getting worse not better for the internet, in the US anyway. South Korea is looking better and better all the time.

The wimmins are gorgeous too.

139. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:29 Illumin

If you played no refund. So even if someone logged in for 5 min 1 time they are screwed? Shady. More business for Star Citizen, or even better No Mans Sky.  

138. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:28 Flatline

D4rkKnight wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 18:26:
Any offline experience would be fundamentally empty. We could write a separate mission system to allow a limited series of fixed missions, but that would still not be a compelling game, and is just the first step in the mountain of work that would be required.

That's what I thought, making a real story with interesting missions would take a lot of work that they don't want to create. Don't expect an engaging storyline in this game, its going to be "player created".

Actually beta 3.9 just dropped and among the 3 pages of tweaks and updates it repeatedly mentions faction and galaxy missions, branching missions, and missions that are generated that are reactionary to the events in the galaxy/universe.

So a *lot* of PvE has just been introduced in this latest beta. I can't give a review of what that's like because I'm at work and the update is downloading about 1/10th the usual speed but if the universe is populated by interesting, branching narrative missions then shit just got real.

137. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:27 Sleep

I guess we'll see, I dont think this will damage sales at all once the drama dies down, theres only a tiny minority these days that arent hooked up. What he probably should have done is said you can have an offline version but its frozen there, you can never update without a complete wipe. But there you go.  

136. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 18:26 D4rkKnight

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo