Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Our car saga took a turn for the worse yesterday, as all attempts to remove the damaged axle proved futile. This left the possibility that forcing it would damage the transmission (sorry, Cutter, "tranny" has a different meaning in the big city), and replacing that would represent half the beaten up car's remaining value. So we found a gently used replacement, took a beating on our trade-in over the pending repair, and washed our hands of the whole situation. It's a shame, because I had fully planned on driving that car into the ground, and it hadn't quite gotten halfway to the 200K mile mark I hoped to eventually reach. Oh well, maybe I'll get there with this one.

R.I.P.: Ken Takakura Dead- Japanese Actor Was 83.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Cemetery Guard.
Banana Bounce.
Van Gaal: The Game.
Stories: Dave Chappelle Is Back (This Time We're 100% Sure It's Maybe Totally for Real). Thanks nin.
The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is… vape. Thanks HARDOCP.
Double Take Reveals New Graphic Fiction Titles Set in the World of the Classic Film “Night of the Living Dead”.
Science: 'Miracle' tech turns water into fuel. Thanks Joshua.
Measles Outbreak In US At 20-Year High. Not Ebola.
Media: An Angry Londoner Loudly Contemplates The Traffic. Thanks nin.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 23:13 Creston

1badmf wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 20:39:
fyi guys, ati released DA:I optimized beta drivers yesterday. had a bitch of a time installing them on my vista machine, but they do seem to maintain better and smoother fps than my old drivers.

Cool. The new Nvidia drivers made literally no difference for me. Not even a tenth of a frame better in the benchmark.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 22:05 mag

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:50:
mag wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 10:25:
That'd be funny, a tranny with a tranny problem.

And I really like Ken. Black Rain is still one of my fave flicks. It just oozes style.

Ugh, was up until 4AM with DAI. Gotta admit, I'm duly impressed so far, and it really is friggin gorgeous.

Also, that version of 'tranny' is a slur. I know, I know, PC police. But just for your edification.

Are you a transvestite? And even if you are do you speak for all of them? Are you their king...er, queen? Thanks but I really don't care about what other people consider PC. In fact, the more PC they get, the more reactionary the rest of us get.

Just letting you know, man, so you can offend people on purpose instead of unintentionally. I'm not attacking you.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 21:59 BobBob

So I decided, what the heck, I already have a PC, don't need a 'hardcore' gaming console -- keyboard and mouse for the win. So I setup the Wii U and started playing Super Mario 3D World. The game is actually quite fun and addictive. I never thought I'd like this type of game.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 20:39 1badmf

fyi guys, ati released DA:I optimized beta drivers yesterday. had a bitch of a time installing them on my vista machine, but they do seem to maintain better and smoother fps than my old drivers.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 20:18 Retired

Julio wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 18:22:
1badmf wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:35:
wow, a clunker that died at 100,000 miles? that's pretty bad in this day and age, even for american cars. i've only ever owned japanese cars, and they've all lasted me at least 100,000 miles before i sold them. my infiniti almost got to 220,000.

Given it was a Japanese car that died here, looks like Blue should have bought American.

Where is Enahs? What make and model was that fireball you had!? hahahahahah

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 18:47 MeanJim

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:
It was a 2003 Accord, and had a theoretical trade in value of $6K, but replacing the transmission would cost over $3K, so it was time to walk.

That sounds kind of high for a transmission replacement. Most transmissions for cars that old are rebuilt/overhauled and shouldn't cost more than $1000. You don't usually pay full price since you trade-in on your old trans for the rebuilt one, since they rebuild your old one and resell it. My sister had her trans replaced several years ago, and I think total cost of trans and labor was under $1500, and I'm pretty sure I remember the trans came with new axles. She drove that car for a few more years before trading it in on a new car.

MeanJim on Steam

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 18:22 Julio

wow, a clunker that died at 100,000 miles? that's pretty bad in this day and age, even for american cars. i've only ever owned japanese cars, and they've all lasted me at least 100,000 miles before i sold them. my infiniti almost got to 220,000.

Given it was a Japanese car that died here, looks like Blue should have bought American.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 17:38 BobBob

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 13:12:
As you are so fond of telling us, you never HAVE cold weather, you wretch! Shakefist

It was fairly cold today, 68 F. But should return to 72 F in a few days.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:50 Cutter

mag wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:01:

And I really like Ken. Black Rain is still one of my fave flicks. It just oozes style.

Ugh, was up until 4AM with DAI. Gotta admit, I'm duly impressed so far, and it really is friggin gorgeous.

Also, that version of 'tranny' is a slur. I know, I know, PC police. But just for your edification.

Are you a transvestite? And even if you are do you speak for all of them? Are you their king...er, queen? Thanks but I really don't care about what other people consider PC. In fact, the more PC they get, the more reactionary the rest of us get.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:37 Creston

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:06:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 15:16:
Or maybe not. It's not uncommon to find massive sales on vehicles during November and December. There's that old adage of correlation is not causation.

Eh. You might be right. Google fact checking seems to suggest there is no clear causation or even really a spike right now.

Fair enough, C&D does have a different take on it. (which I hadn't seen.)

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:06 SimplyMonk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 15:16:
Or maybe not. It's not uncommon to find massive sales on vehicles during November and December. There's that old adage of correlation is not causation.

Eh. You might be right. Google fact checking seems to suggest there is no clear causation or even really a spike right now.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:01 mag

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 15:30 Mordecai Walfish

http://digg.com/video/an-angry-londoner-contemplates-the-traffic

video was taken down

Vape was my word of the year in 2013, the first year I didn't smoke a single cigarette since I had started in the 90's. Still going strong, and enjoying vaping very much =)

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 15:23 HorrorScope

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:

I thought I made it clear that the car didn't actually die, but had hit the point where the potential repair cost was impractical. It was a 2003 Accord, and had a theoretical trade in value of $6K, but replacing the transmission would cost over $3K, so it was time to walk.

Right but whatever the case of giving up on it, imo means dead to you. But it all depends on where you live, obviously not hitting 100k on a 2003 means there wasn't a lot of driving going on. It's a 2003 that was still used with regular maintenance, yep happens.

I look at every $1200 in a car means it has to go another year. Less Oil/Brakes/Tires. That is cheap transportation.i

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 15:20 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 14:01:
Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 13:11:
Sales of SUVs and trucks have soared since gas dipped below $3/G a month or so ago. Long term thinking is the not the American citizen's forte.

I own a truck and drive it daily to and from work on a 108 mile round trip commute. You don't buy a full sized truck, or by an extension, an SUV if you're worried about gas mileage or can't afford the gas.

I don't, no. You don't either. Most of America? Yeah, probably. How else do you explain that SUV and Truck sales go up/soar when gas prices go down? This isn't the first time it's happened, it happened the last time, eight or so years ago when oil dropped back down to 30 bucks and gas went back down to like a buck fifty. SUVs and trucks were FLYING off the lots. Car dealers couldn't keep them in stock. Gas prices go back up, sales of SUVs and trucks went back down.

Gas prices go down, sales go back up. If you want to say it's not because of gas prices, shrug, fine, I don't care.

The avg American is dirt fucking stupid.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 15:16 Burrito of Peace

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 14:53:
You don't buy a full sized truck, or by an extension, an SUV if you're worried about gas mileage or can't afford the gas.

Probably need to qualify that statement with "If you are smart..."

The spike in SUV/Truck sales since the gas price drop would indicate that high gas prices was the reason people were not buying SUVs/Trucks.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 15:01 The Half Elf

Had a few honda's (on my second now) and went to babysit the nephew's last night and rolled down the window to find out where to park and the window motivator died (98 Honda). Thankfully we had a heatwave of 30 today so I could drive along the interstates trying to thaw out all the snow with the heater on full. Cost about 200 bucks to fix. Would have been nicer if I didn't end up getting sick at my sister's last night with food poisoning as well, and having to take the day off sick, but at least it gave me time to get the window repaired.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 14:53 SimplyMonk

You don't buy a full sized truck, or by an extension, an SUV if you're worried about gas mileage or can't afford the gas.

Probably need to qualify that statement with "If you are smart..."

The spike in SUV/Truck sales since the gas price drop would indicate that high gas prices was the reason people were not buying SUVs/Trucks.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 14:01 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 13:11:
Sales of SUVs and trucks have soared since gas dipped below $3/G a month or so ago. Long term thinking is the not the American citizen's forte.

I own a truck and drive it daily to and from work on a 108 mile round trip commute. You don't buy a full sized truck, or by an extension, an SUV if you're worried about gas mileage or can't afford the gas.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2014, 14:10.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 13:27 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 13:12:
BobBob wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 11:39:
I'm curious if the hybrid operates well in cold weather. I've heard different stories as to battery performance. Eventually, I want to get a Tesla or (ideally) a Google driver-less car -- if they ever mass produce them.

As you are so fond of telling us, you never HAVE cold weather, you wretch! Shakefist

They're fine now, btw. There were some issues with early hybrids, but it hasn't been an issue for several years now.

It's "cold" there now. Like 60s. But never fear. Global warming will soon fix that.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo