Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 19:37 Phasenoise

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:15:
FTA:
This had me cackling because someone here at work was crowing about how awesome VDs were on Windows 10 and I told them I'd been using that "feature" in Linux for more than decade. The only thing I don't get is why the arbitrary limit of 4? Is that all that Windows can handle?

And I was using them on windows 3.1, OS/2, and an SGI workstation before Linux was around.

I don't know why there's an implication in articles and elsewhere that windows wasn't capable of doing multiple desktops. It just wasn't part of the OS itself. I assume MS is adding the functionality now to help deal with Giant Maximized Windows which metro loves.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 18:13 Prez

Windows 8 is quite possibly the worst desktop operating system that Microsoft ever released. Since Windows 8 is going up against such all-time flop-a-doodles as Vista and Windows ME, thatís saying something.

I guess it would depend on what you are considering when dubbing one version the "worst", but even though I have a PC with Windows 8 on it and I hate it, there's just now way it's worse than Windows ME.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 18:02 MeanJim

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:56:
I know Linux has had them at least since '94 because I thought they were the shit back then (fvwm2).

The only reason MS decided to implement this feature is to throw a bone to hardcore users. This will be a support nightmare, I know at least 3 relatives that won't understand them, ever.

Yeah I remember using virtual desktops long before KDE. Hell there was even a free program I used on Windows 95 to give me virtual desktops like I had in Linux.

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 16:16 mag

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 16:13:
Oh, duh. Fucking Mondays... My bad.

I feel ya. Still trying to jumpstart my brain today.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 16:13 Creston

Oh, duh. Fucking Mondays... My bad.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:59 mag

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:44:
Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:25:
They needed some sort of bullet point other than "a different version number". I agree that its not going to get a lot of use outside of enthusiast circles. Heck I'm an enthusiast and I can't see myself using it much outside of work.

Outside of work, what would you even use it for? It's not going to run games, so other than browsing dodgy websites infested with malware I don't really see a purpose to them. (for private use.)

I think you're confusing virtual machines (run a sandboxed OS that can't talk directly to the host OS) with virtual desktops (kind of like having multiple monitors you can cycle through and arrange windows on). There's no virtualization involved, it's just a handy way to organize things.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:44 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:25:
They needed some sort of bullet point other than "a different version number". I agree that its not going to get a lot of use outside of enthusiast circles. Heck I'm an enthusiast and I can't see myself using it much outside of work.

Outside of work, what would you even use it for? It's not going to run games, so other than browsing dodgy websites infested with malware I don't really see a purpose to them. (for private use.)

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:25 Verno

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:56:
I know Linux has had them at least since '94 because I thought they were the shit back then (fvwm2).

The only reason MS decided to implement this feature is to throw a bone to hardcore users. This will be a support nightmare, I know at least 3 relatives that won't understand them, ever.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:10 Creston

JediPunisher wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:43:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:36:
I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd.

Honestly, it would've made more sense to name it Windows One.
Now that I think of it, Windows 8 should've been named One Window.

Hehehehe.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 14:56 nutshell42

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:15:
FTA:

"I think virtual desktops are very useful, but then thatís because Iíve been using them for quite a long time. Apple introduced Spaces on Macs with Mac OS Leopard back in 2007, and Linux has had virtual desktops ever since KDE 1.0, rolled out in 1998. Come to think of it, I seem to recall virtual desktops on OS/2 Warp, circa 1996, and on the Amiga 1000 in, believe or not, 1985."

This had me cackling because someone here at work was crowing about how awesome VDs were on Windows 10 and I told them I'd been using that "feature" in Linux for more than decade. The only thing I don't get is why the arbitrary limit of 4? Is that all that Windows can handle?

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 14:43 JediPunisher

I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd.

Honestly, it would've made more sense to name it Windows One.
Now that I think of it, Windows 8 should've been named One Window.

6. Windows Oops Nov 17, 2014, 13:33 Loopy

I like how 20 years after we first got it, the return of the Start Menu is a Big Deal.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 11:27 NegaDeath

I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd. I can only imagine it was the idea of some marketing executive with an, 'it goes to 11', mentality. I'll hold of judgement on whether or not it should actually be 8.2

I thought someone posted that it was because of some legacy code in certain software that checks the windows version a dumb way and would see Windows 9 as being 95/98? Maybe that wasn't true?

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 10:55 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:21:
WonderFox 2014 Thanksgiving Giveaway.

Wow. That is huge.

No annoying ads or browser toolbars....which is what i was expecting. Not bad at all. I am going to play with them. I wonder if the serials work after Nov 30 or if I ever have to reinstall I would need to purchase a new code. Obviously if I find the software useful I don't mind paying for it, but the offer is sorta unclear on how that works. Or at least it is unclear to me.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 09:36 Pigeon

Windows 8 is quite possibly the worst desktop operating system that Microsoft ever released. Since Windows 8 is going up against such all-time flop-a-doodles as Vista and Windows ME, thatís saying something.

Both ME and Vista had some pretty bad bugs at launch, I wasn't aware Win 8 had any major issues except the fugly mobile device Fischer Price looking interface.

I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd. I can only imagine it was the idea of some marketing executive with an, 'it goes to 11', mentality. I'll hold of judgement on whether or not it should actually be 8.2

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 09:21 Retired

WonderFox 2014 Thanksgiving Giveaway.

Wow. That is huge.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 09:15 Burrito of Peace

FTA:

"I think virtual desktops are very useful, but then thatís because Iíve been using them for quite a long time. Apple introduced Spaces on Macs with Mac OS Leopard back in 2007, and Linux has had virtual desktops ever since KDE 1.0, rolled out in 1998. Come to think of it, I seem to recall virtual desktops on OS/2 Warp, circa 1996, and on the Amiga 1000 in, believe or not, 1985."

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo