Out of the Blue

Well my brother and I survived another session of clearing the leaves from around what was my dad's place in the country. The timing of this was probably perfect, if lucky, as a small layer of snow fell at some point before most of the leaves did, but it remained quite loose, so it actually helped in blowing and raking the leaves around. This is in stark contrast to how much worse things would have been if the leaves got snowed upon after falling (which we've had to deal with in the past), so as I say, we got pretty lucky.

Lucky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Light the Lamps.
Hut Defense 3: Reverse.
Link: The Elvis Presley coverup: What America didn’t hear about the death of the king.
Science: Chocolate: Can Science Save the World's Most Endangered Treat?
Media: Mesmerizing rebuild of a mechanical Fourier calculator.
P.T. - Silent Hills (Teens React- Gaming).
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 17, 2014, 20:37
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 20:37
Nov 17, 2014, 20:37

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 17:33:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:01:
Hey Blue, every time I open a page today on Blue's, be it the main page or a comments section, my iPhone

Full stop. I've found the problem.

LOL

Nov 17, 2014, 17:34
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 17:34
Nov 17, 2014, 17:34

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:18:
Check out MAYDAY.US.

"MAYDAY.US is a crowd-funded SuperPAC to end all SuperPACs... including this one. Help us reduce the influence of money in politics by electing a Congress committed to fundamental reform by 2016. Let's win our democracy back!"

This was started by Lessing - one of the people on that Moyers episode. In the discussion he shows how scarily powerful some of these politicians are. One corporation was going to donate 10 million bucks to this PAC when they found out it would upset Rep. Fred Upton (R) who chairs the Energy and Commerce Committee and promptly backpeddled because they didn't want to get on his bad side. That's insane.

Yeah, Larry is also fighting the good fight.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 17, 2014, 17:33
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 17:33
Nov 17, 2014, 17:33

Hey Blue, every time I open a page today on Blue's, be it the main page or a comments section, my iPhone

Full stop. I've found the problem.

If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 17, 2014, 15:41
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 15:41
Nov 17, 2014, 15:41

Install adblock on your phone.

Nov 17, 2014, 15:03
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 15:03
Nov 17, 2014, 15:03
nin

Hey Blue, every time I open a page today on Blue's, be it the main page or a comments section, my iPhone boots me to the App Store for something called Open Table. Super crazy annoying, as it comes up before the content of the page finishes loading, so I have to reload the page when I get back to Safari.

Got that on Saturday. Sent him an email.

Nov 17, 2014, 15:01
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 15:01
Nov 17, 2014, 15:01

Hey Blue, every time I open a page today on Blue's, be it the main page or a comments section, my iPhone boots me to the App Store for something called Open Table. Super crazy annoying, as it comes up before the content of the page finishes loading, so I have to reload the page when I get back to Safari.

Nov 17, 2014, 14:18
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 14:18
Nov 17, 2014, 14:18

Check out MAYDAY.US.

"MAYDAY.US is a crowd-funded SuperPAC to end all SuperPACs... including this one. Help us reduce the influence of money in politics by electing a Congress committed to fundamental reform by 2016. Let's win our democracy back!"

This was started by Lessing - one of the people on that Moyers episode. In the discussion he shows how scarily powerful some of these politicians are. One corporation was going to donate 10 million bucks to this PAC when they found out it would upset Rep. Fred Upton (R) who chairs the Energy and Commerce Committee and promptly backpeddled because they didn't want to get on his bad side. That's insane.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Nov 17, 2014, 13:24
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 13:24
Nov 17, 2014, 13:24

@ Cutter,

Thanks. I'll check those out later today when I have more time. This is probably the biggest issue for me, since the money results in legislation that benefits wealthy corporations and individuals over the vast majority of common people. I have little faith that we'll get decent legislation (or even legislators) of any kind until this is fixed.

I like what Cenk Uygur is doing with his Wolf PAC. It's obvious that you'll never convince Washington Pols to amend the constitution, since they're all there via corporate donations. So he's trying to amend it via state legislatures, which are in theory less beholden to corporate money (although massive amounts were spent on those in the last election).

Lastly, Bill Moyers is a national treasure.

Nov 17, 2014, 13:22
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 13:22
Nov 17, 2014, 13:22

It's going to be a shitty world if chocolate ceases to be. Like, SERIOUSLY fucking shitty.

Nov 17, 2014, 12:36
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 12:36
Nov 17, 2014, 12:36

So I was watching Bill Moyers on PBS last night and it was about the Bare Knuckle Fight Against Money in Politics. It was exceedingly edifying. It was also very scary and very depressing. However, there was a kernel of hope in there seeing how many average citizens are coming out to end corruption/lobbying in politics. You have to watch this. It'll blow your mind.

At one point they discuss just how bad things are cited in the recent and ultra-comprehensive study done by Princeton scholars and published by Camebridge Journals. It shows that for a few decades now that democracy has flatlined for average voters. That is to say that when the elites or special interest groups get behind something it gets passed. Yet average voters can't get anything done. So now, point in fact, the US is a functioning plutocracy. Here's the study....

Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens

And the links relevant to this on Moyers sight are also equally fascinating/scary/repulsive when you look at how much influence there is in dark/dirty money, how judgeship's are basically being bought - along with favorable judgements themselves, and so on. If people on both sides of the spectrum don't start really combating this we're going to be back to the bad ol' days of the Robber Barons in short order, and we're well on our way already.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Nov 17, 2014, 12:26
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 12:26
Nov 17, 2014, 12:26

garrywong wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:56:
What is it about snow that makes it harder to gather up the leaves? Just pile the whole thing, snow and all. Not much different than just shovelling snow by itself.

Wet leaves are considerably heavier than dry leaves, so it's a lot more work. I just rake up most then mulch the rest with the mower. It's good for the lawn anyway.

Nov 17, 2014, 11:56
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 11:56
Nov 17, 2014, 11:56

What is it about snow that makes it harder to gather up the leaves? Just pile the whole thing, snow and all. Not much different than just shovelling snow by itself.

Nov 17, 2014, 10:48
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 10:48
Nov 17, 2014, 10:48

The PT video is amusing. It is one of the more memorable experiences I've had on a console. My brother was visiting and asked to see a PS4 game, I happened to have downloaded it (totally free little game btw) so I figured why not. 4 hours later it was like we were kids again - still going on trying to figure out all of the puzzles and picking up on changes in the level. It was a really engrossing little game with a few quality scares. I hear the full game won't be like it which is kinda disappointing but I am definitely intrigued to see what else Kojima has come up.
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older