Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000

GOG announces they are giving away free copies of Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 for 48 hours to reward players who help them beta test Galaxy, their new DRM-Free online gaming platform. Here's the deal:
Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000, a suspenseful Sci-Fi first-person shooter with three very different single-player campaigns, one for each species, and a frantic multiplayer mode, is available FREE for 48 hours on GOG.com, as a part of our GOG Galaxy beta tests!

Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 features the Colonial Marine, Alien and Predator Campaigns and the frenetic single-player Skirmish mode from the original title: Alien Versus Predator Gold Edition, which was released to massive acclaim in 2000. It's been updated for modern systems and includes support for Xbox 360 Controller. The three most ferocious species in the universe in a bloodthirsty battle for the ultimate prize: survival. Take your pick: be a Colonial Marine, a Predator or an Alien. Fight through suspense-filled environments: from starships and space stations to colonial bases and eerie planetscapes. One wrong move turns you from hunter to prey. Deathmatch, Species Deathmatch, Predator Tag, and Cooperative modes avait for you in the multiplayer section!

How to get the game for free? Simply sign up for the next stage of GOG Galaxy beta tests and an e-mail with your activation code will be sent to you within the next few days. You'll be helping us to analyze and improve the performance of the multiplayer component of GOG Galaxy, our DRM-free online gaming platform, by playing this acclaimed dynamic first person shooter! The game will be added to your account and yours to keep forever. Don't wait - you can only sign up until Friday, October 17, at 9:59AM GMT.
View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 17, 2014, 04:16 Zombiegoat213

First graphics card: Rage Xpert 128. 16 MB and suddenly I felt like a Quake III: Arena god. Free cheap RAM and inexpensive hand-me-downs from people pursuing more cutting edge technology was always welcome.

I'm looking forward to playing this game. And hey, if it's too dated, it was free... but something tells me this will be fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 16, 2014, 09:12 TheVocalMinority

Flatline wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:40:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:23:
I wasn't implying that it was a bad thing. Just that compared to lots of newer shooters, the Marine in AvP is *really* fast.

You'd be running like a bat out of hell too if you were that scared and vulnerable.

I don't remember if it was a diamond monster 3d or a Canopus Pure 3D II, only that it had a heart of gold.
And rendered like a horny angel!

"How easily we let ourselves be taken in by partisan labels" - Solzhenitsyn

32. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 16, 2014, 08:40 JayDeath

Layer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 18:32:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 17:49:
Galaxy sounds great, not so sure about AvP though. I really don't like adding games to my list, unless I really like them. At least on GOG, you can Hide games, something I can't seem to do on Steam.

If you right-click your game in Steam, select Set Categories. Then check the box labeled 'Hide this game in My Library'.

I didn't know this. I too hate scrolling through games I'll never play again. Thx for the tip.

Steam: BenRichards

31. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 20:10 Acleacius

Layer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 18:32:
Galaxy sounds great, not so sure about AvP though. I really don't like adding games to my list, unless I really like them. At least on GOG, you can Hide games, something I can't seem to do on Steam.

If you right-click your game in Steam, select Set Categories. Then check the box labeled 'Hide this game in My Library'.
Thanks

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

30. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 19:29 Ant

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:25:
Icewind wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:23:
InBlack wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:48:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:20:
One thing I did find amusing is how fast the Marine runs. I think he could outpace the Quake guy.

You say that like its a bad thing...

Also really? This is the first game you played with acceleration?? That's kind of weird, by this time the Voodoo 3 was ruling supreme and Nvidia's TNT cards were quickly catching up, also Unreal was pretty much king of graphics and most games supported Glide or OpenGL. DirectX kind of sucked back then....

My first 3D card was a Voodoo2 back in.....1997, not sure when, probably late. I know the very first game I played it with was Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Back then you were hot **** if you had a Voodoo card. Gaming elite.

I remember going to Software etc. and just bragging about it to all the other store regulars, who were all hardcore PC gamers. Boy, those were the days.

Dark Forces II was the first game I played with 3D acceleration too, after months and months of playing it in software mode. I was blown away by how good it looked and how fast it ran.
For me, it was Quake 1 on my Diamond Monster 3D (3Dfx).

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

29. Aliens TC for DOOM... Oct 15, 2014, 19:28 Ant

SirKnight wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:03:
I would definitely like a client to organize all my GoG games in a nice STEAM-like way.

I feel like getting back into Aliens TC for Doom 2. What a killer mod that was.
Uh, I am pretty sure it was for DOOM 1 only.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

28. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 18:46 1badmf

i remember one of my friends brought one to a lan party. i genuinely felt bad for him with how terrible it looked and all the problems it was giving him.  

27. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 18:39 NegaDeath

Flatline wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:42:
That was my first 3d card as well I think. Either that or the fusion I think. It was kind of a big deal because it could render in either OpenGL/Glide AND this thing called "directX" (DirectX always as a rule looked shittier).

Some of us unfortunate souls had an S3 Virge as their first 3D (de)accelerator. That's a really bad first date.

26. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 18:32 Layer

25. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 17:49 Acleacius

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

24. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 15:40 saluk

SirKnight wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:03:
I would definitely like a client to organize all my GoG games in a nice STEAM-like way.

Yeah I missed this too. So I made my own It works nice for me but would take a lot of work to make it good for other users. The nice thing is it is storefront agnostic, so I can quickly find what games I own no matter where I bought them from. I've found it makes it more likely for me to buy games that aren't on steam, or buy them on sale from a different store.

I'm kind of curious how galaxy may or may not have a place in that. There are times I buy on steam over gog because of achievements, multiplayer, or steam workshop type stuff.

23. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 13:42 Flatline

1badmf wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:20:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:25:
Icewind wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:23:
InBlack wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:48:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:20:
One thing I did find amusing is how fast the Marine runs. I think he could outpace the Quake guy.

You say that like its a bad thing...

Also really? This is the first game you played with acceleration?? That's kind of weird, by this time the Voodoo 3 was ruling supreme and Nvidia's TNT cards were quickly catching up, also Unreal was pretty much king of graphics and most games supported Glide or OpenGL. DirectX kind of sucked back then....

My first 3D card was a Voodoo2 back in.....1997, not sure when, probably late. I know the very first game I played it with was Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Back then you were hot **** if you had a Voodoo card. Gaming elite.

I remember going to Software etc. and just bragging about it to all the other store regulars, who were all hardcore PC gamers. Boy, those were the days.

Dark Forces II was the first game I played with 3D acceleration too, after months and months of playing it in software mode. I was blown away by how good it looked and how fast it ran.

pffft, nubs. my first 3d card was a diamond monster 3d that i played quake 1 on. that was the card that launched our little discreet video card renderer industry.

That was my first 3d card as well I think. Either that or the fusion I think. It was kind of a big deal because it could render in either OpenGL/Glide AND this thing called "directX" (DirectX always as a rule looked shittier).

22. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 13:40 Flatline

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:23:
I wasn't implying that it was a bad thing. Just that compared to lots of newer shooters, the Marine in AvP is *really* fast.

You'd be running like a bat out of hell too if you were that scared and vulnerable.

21. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 13:24 Jivaro

i don't recall if it was my first 3d setup or not, but I do remember that very early on I had a Matrox 2D card and a VooDoo 3D card combo that was a huge step up from anything I had seen before. Every upgrade I had done on a PC gaming rig had felt incremental until that point. That upgrade was epic, and it changed everything.  

20. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 13:03 SirKnight

I feel like getting back into Aliens TC for Doom 2. What a killer mod that was.

19. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 12:55 Beamer

1badmf wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:20:
pffft, nubs. my first 3d card was a diamond monster 3d that i played quake 1 on. that was the card that launched our little discreet video card renderer industry.

Mine was an S3 Virge card, can't recall which but think I bought it in part for the pack-in games. It did nothing well and made some games unplayable due to missing UIs.

It was replaced with a Canopus Pure 3D II, which included no pack-ins. In fact, it was the last hardware with pack-ins that I bought. Maybe learned a lesson too much.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 12:53 Task

The predator required a lot of twitch play to the extreme, and knowing how to use the melee weapons, it actually seemed the most challenging to me, but not scary obviously.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

17. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 12:50 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:37:
nin wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:13:
Oh, shit! Best of the series, too!

Agreed. Scariest game ever. At least playing as the Marine it was. Playing with the Alien gave me a feeling of immense power, likewise with the Predator.

I also dug the second, although it never lived up to the potential of the first game it was still a satisfying experience.

Wish someone would remake the game with HD graphics etc, but Im gonna download this just to finish the Marine campaign, or at least attempt to since I always end up pissing myself and quitting...

Really? The Predator just wasn't fun for me. His weaponry was all slow fire, which never really worked well for me, even if using the fun cheat of having the spear gun fire 6 spears.

Alien I adored, and Marine was a frightening blast, but I hated being the Predator.

I feel as if I recently installed this from Steam but couldn't take the lack of quicksaves, right?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 12:08 Darks

I have a map pack I created for this game a long time ago that adds over 300 to 500 Aliens on the maps. let me know if anyone wants them. I can put it up on dropbox  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 12:06 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:47:
Creston wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:18:
So what exactly is Galaxy?

I'm assuming that's their steam-like client? But they've said in the past it's supposed to be totally optional, and that if you like downloading the way you do now, you won't be forced to use it.

Here we go

Gracias!

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >