Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to us, as Blue's News moved to our own domain 18 years ago today, on October 9, 1996. That's a long time in regular years, much less Internet years, so that's pretty cool (possible new slogan, "Blue's News: Older than Google"), and I thank you all for all the ongoing support. I would like nothing better than to propel the site upwards and onwards for another 18 years and beyond, and the feedback we've been getting after recent turmoil in the community helps reinforce the feeling that our traditional approach to informing you about what is happening, rather than telling you how you should feel about it, is valued. Regulars will joke we have never had a redesign since launching, and while that's not true, I am aware that a little freshening up is in order, at least to create a sensible menu system and a more mobile-friendly design, so that's something that I'll probably have to act on before we turn 36. On a more serious note, following the success of our fledgling Amazon association I'm looking into other recent suggestions on how to support the site going forward in light of meager ad revenue. So there's the state of the state. Thanks again for all the support.

And it's week six of the NFL season, so here's a discussion thread for the games and picks.

18 Years of Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Rampage Rex.
Hut Take Control 2.
Panda Uprising.
Story: If You Bought a Red Bull Since 2002, You Could Get $10. Because stupid.
Media: SWING COPTERS (Kids React- Gaming).
Eagle Gets Tangled in Paragliders Chute.
Follow-up: US to screen airline passengers for fever after first Ebola death.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 11:49 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 23:30:
Happy Birthday Bluesnews!

Without you I would have nothing to read on my phone while I am in the Porta-Johns at work; both, have been moving experiences.

You truly have a way with words.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 11:37  Frans 

|RaptoR| wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 15:50:
What was the original URL?
http://www.panix.com/~sheaslip/3d/quake.shtml and
http://www.panix.com/~sheaslip/quake/

-- Frans

58. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 07:57 TheVocalMinority

Happy birthday Blue's News!

I think the thing I like most is the light touch with respect to censoring posts and banning. Without that we wouldn't have nice things like the epic comments section of the Star Citizen stories.

My suggestion for revenue - ability to donate in the more popular crypocurrency (bitcoin, dogecoin etc.).

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 17:26:
Suggestion: Build in a Like system, improves posts and builds a better community.

God no.

VM

57. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 03:13 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 20:09:
Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:28:
Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I'd stuff her like a turkey. I've wanted to boink her from the first time I saw her.

That is..pretty creepy. The 'dork from The Office' is funny and women like humor.

What's creepy about it? It's not like she's 12. She didn't even start appearing in movies and TV until she was 20.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

56. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 01:16 Zombiegoat213

Happy birthday, BN! Thanks for the last thirteen years of good news, interesting tidbits and people teeing off on each other much less than the other sites I've visited.  

55. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 01:15 Fantaz

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 17:26:
Congrats. A lot of big name sites won't ever be able to say the same.

Suggestion: Build in a Like system, improves posts and builds a better community.

if doing a like system make sure you can dislike... Facebook is horrible for not having a way to dislike something.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 23:30 SlimRam

Happy Birthday Bluesnews!

Without you I would have nothing to read on my phone while I am in the Porta-Johns at work; both, have been moving experiences.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 23:13 PullMyFinger

Great milestone, Blue - congrats - and THANKS!  

52. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 21:27 Mr. Tact

I won't complain about an update to the site format, as long as you wait another 18 years before doing it.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 20:09 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:28:
Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I'd stuff her like a turkey. I've wanted to boink her from the first time I saw her.

That is..pretty creepy. The 'dork from The Office' is funny and women like humor.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 19:45 Dmitri_M

I'd contribute to this site if there was a way to. Been my homepage for so many years.

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:46:
That paraglider, what, is he Russian or something? Fucking asshole. Mad at the bird? "Fucking creature?" It cuts and fades to black with him yelling at the bird, probably just prior to him killing it. Fucking prick.
An object hits your chute and you're forced to go to your reserve? Not a joke. Having done a little bit of parachuting myself, I'd be swearing too. The bird needn't take it personally, the guy is just shit scared. And yeah, all humans should fall out of a plane or parachute at least once. It's quite an experience sharing the same space as eagles..

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2014, 20:02.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 19:28 Cutter

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 17:40:
Where's Emily Blunt when I need her?

I say that all the time.

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I'd stuff her like a turkey. I've wanted to boink her from the first time I saw her. Can't believe she's married to that dork from The Office.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

48. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 18:23 Redmask

I would like nothing better than to propel the site upwards and onwards for another 18 years and beyond, and the feedback we've been getting after recent turmoil in the community helps reinforce the feeling that our traditional approach to informing you about what is happening, rather than telling you how you should feel about it, is valued.

Absolutely, thank you for valuing your readers and treating us with respect. We can make up our own minds and appreciate the unfiltered news free of moralizing and opinion. The Dad Humor and sardonic addendums are just a bonus

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 18:02 Kosumo

Woot Woot For the Blue! Balloon Cake Drinkers Cheers Beer  

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 18:01 Primalchrome

Congrats Blue!  

45. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 17:40 Prez

Where's Emily Blunt when I need her?

I say that all the time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 17:26 HorrorScope

Congrats. A lot of big name sites won't ever be able to say the same.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 17:19 harlock

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 16:07:
Happy Birthday.

harlock wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 09:42:
Blue you could do a kickstarter for the website redesign.. ive seen that a few times
And why would that be a good thing? Blues site is probably one of the fastest loading sites out there, and there's a good reason. It's got a simple, fast design. It's not fetching 83 different scripts across 23 sites and all that crap.

i was responding to blue's post above in OOB, did you read that part? yeh go ahead and check it out

but im sure he will take your opinions into consideration, btw you should probably go ahead and tell him which breakfast cereal is best as well - i bet hes REALLY interested

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 16:30 The Half Elf

Congrats Blue, to 18 years of dedication, and simplicity.

As for a site upgrade... whatever makes you happy Blue makes me happy. It's not like you've steered us wrong in the last 18 years

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 16:29 Agent.X7

Congrats! I got Edge of Tomorrow through Amazon after clicking your link. Great movie, btw. I love the sci-fi trope of a time-loop.

Congrats! I got Edge of Tomorrow through Amazon after clicking your link. Great movie, btw. I love the sci-fi trope of a time-loop. Uh oh.

Congrats! I got Edge of Tomorrow through Amazon after clicking your link. Great movie, btw. I love the sci-fi trope of a time-loop. Uh...

Congrats! I got Edge of Tomorrow through Amazon after clicking your link. Great movie, btw. I love the sci-fi trope of a time-loop. Oh crap.

Congrats! I got Edge of Tomorrow through Amazon after clicking your link. Great movie, btw. I love the sci-fi trope of a time-loop. Where's Emily Blunt when I need her?

Congrats! I got Edge of Tomorrow through Amazon after clicking your link. Great movie, btw. I love the sci-fi trope of a time-loop. Oh FFS.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo