ArcheAge Hits 2M Players

ArcheAge now has over two million players, announces Trion Worlds, saying that in spite of head start issues and founder unrest, their new MMORPG has attracted a strong following since launching. This producer's letter talks about the game's launch, battling bots, and plans for future updates. Here's the deal: "In his letter, Hartsman also describes how, in the past few days, the team at Trion drastically improved the overall player experience in ArcheAge. Among other things, Trion Worlds has undertaken a huge bot sweep, eliminating false accounts throughout the game, worked on better spam filtering and have dramatically shortened queue times in both the US and Europe by introducing new servers and taking measures to deal with AFK players more efficiently."
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
Oct 3, 2014, 09:46
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 09:46
Oct 3, 2014, 09:46

My guild is already half-way gone. Seems as soon as people hit 50, they vanish. Myself included. The bot problem and gold selling is so bad, the Faction channel is useless. Housing lots that become available are instantly taken by people who run scripts to snatch them up, in some cases while not even standing there. They then turn around and sell them for a huge amount of gold.

A decent game if not for the MMO part.

Oct 3, 2014, 09:54
Prez

Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 09:54
Oct 3, 2014, 09:54
 Prez

Not bad for a game I've never heard of until just now.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 3, 2014, 09:55
Verno

Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 09:55
Oct 3, 2014, 09:55
 Verno

Gonna be hard to combat the guys going after real estate, people pay a ton of RL money for it. A long time ago UO paid a good chunk of my tuition fees, selling decayed real estate to lazy people on eBay. Just had to keep an excel list of places to jump around and check, log in a few times a day. These days I would imagine they have it all automated with scripts and bots.

Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Oct 3, 2014, 09:56
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 09:56
Oct 3, 2014, 09:56

Is it true all of the available land that you can build on has already been claimed? How? The game has barely just launched!

Oct 3, 2014, 09:59
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 09:59
Oct 3, 2014, 09:59

Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:55:
Gonna be hard to combat the guys going after real estate, people pay a ton of RL money for it. A long time ago UO paid a good chunk of my tuition fees, selling decayed real estate to lazy people on eBay. Just had to keep an excel list of places to jump around and check, log in a few times a day. These days I would imagine they have it all automated with scripts and bots.

Man thats such a cool story. UO was the shit! Why cant they make games like that anymore? Heaven forbid that people actually discover emergent gameplay outside the box, or use the game to earn some hard cash.
I have a nifty blue line!

Oct 3, 2014, 10:02
Verno

Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:02
Oct 3, 2014, 10:02
 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:59:

Man thats such a cool story. UO was the shit! Why cant they make games like that anymore? Heaven forbid that people actually discover emergent gameplay outside the box, or use the game to earn some hard cash.

Err well technically I was breaking the EULA I guess but the landscape was different back then for selling things out of the game. eBay didn't police anything and people were paying hundreds for a tower plot outside of a main town. It was kinda nuts.

Anyways back to ArcheAge, hows the PvP? PvE stuff bores the crap out of me in MMOs. What's the model here, is it freeform or designated zones, arenas, etc?

Oct 3, 2014, 10:18
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:18
Oct 3, 2014, 10:18

Fuck that. EULAs are meant to be broken
I have a nifty blue line!

Oct 3, 2014, 10:24
NKD
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:24
Oct 3, 2014, 10:24
NKD

Game is a fucking mess, and I suspect most of those 2 million registered accounts are not actually playing anymore.

The game places a huge amount of trust in the client application which allows for some pretty ridiculous cheating that goes way beyond just your typical teleport hack.

The game is almost like a comical parody of what a sandbox game could or should be. The one guy I know still playing is only playing because he gets a good laugh out of seeing the ridiculous bugs, exploits and outright cheating and how liberally they are utilized in PvP.

Here's a screenshot of a bunch of Korean-named mobs killing people. Why is that unusual you ask? Because those aren't supposed to be there. Someone summoned them in using packet spoofing. From a code standpoint, there's zero excuse for why that should be possible.

And this shit runs rampant. You can give yourself buffs, remove debuffs, etc. And supposedly Trion cannot fix it. They are reliant on code drops from the mothership in Korea for this stuff, and they are on a significantly older patch of the game than Korea.

It's an unmitigated disaster.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2014, 10:30.

Oct 3, 2014, 10:31
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:31
Oct 3, 2014, 10:31

garrywong wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:56:
Is it true all of the available land that you can build on has already been claimed? How? The game has barely just launched!

All the PvE land on the first few servers was gone within hours of head-start. The remaining land in PvP zones was gone after a day or two of head-start. If you came in to those servers as a non-founder, you had zero chance of finding land for a house. I'm a found and have yet to find any space to build. This is made worse because people can own multiple housing slots with very little cost (taxes are a joke). Combined with the hack to instantly buy demolished lots without even being in the area, and you really have very little chance of finding space without buying it. The cost when I last checked was 300 gold for a small lot. I had 100 gold when I hit level 50.

They just released some patch notes that have a few fixes for gold selling spam. I see no reason to stick around though after my month expires.

Oct 3, 2014, 10:53
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:53
Oct 3, 2014, 10:53

NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:24:
Here's a screenshot of a bunch of Korean-named mobs killing people. Why is that unusual you ask? Because those aren't supposed to be there. Someone summoned them in using packet spoofing. From a code standpoint, there's zero excuse for why that should be possible.

Lets all take a moment and recognize how glorious that name truly is though!

Oct 3, 2014, 11:31
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 11:31
Oct 3, 2014, 11:31

AA is the most fun I've had since Ultima Online/Everquest, this brings the open world,crafting and PVP of UO to modern games, and actually does some of it better. I will be really really surprised if we don't have a western company trying to copy this model. There are trade runs to make cash/currency, Wars, no instances, a beautifully designed world with meaningful travel, unique and changeable classes/skills, and honestly even though it's been translated, good lore... guild effort is needed to get anywhere and a 200 person guild is about a mid sized guild here.

There is just so much to do in this game, the depth is just awesome. The racial stories aren't bad either if you take the time to do them. I will agree that free to play is not the ideal model for this game just because it encourages spammers, but they are fighting spammers.

There is plenty of player housing left, just don't join the 4 most popular servers and expect to find one. No one is running scripts to place a house, you can place within an hour and a half of starting a new character if you have any experience. In a few weeks an entire continent will open up with more housing. In addition, rent must be paid every two weeks, as players quit a lot more housing will open up.

This game is just fun. It's open world pvp once you get past the level 30 zones. There is an East vs. West faction and a pirate faction for those that kill their own faction too often. The sea battles are just fun.

Just a quick little rant to defend the game. If you are looking for sandbox, this is the best since UO. To be fair I'll say that spammers can be a problem, especially right before a server goes down... you can't even see chat. Better since release, but a ways to go. They increased the server caps, and I've noticed lag. The sandbox stuff doesn't start till 30 (40 if you quest as much as I do) but you will easily hit that in a week.

Oct 3, 2014, 11:46
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 11:46
Oct 3, 2014, 11:46

The game is geared towards PvP. There are PvE only zones, which are mostly the starting zones. Leveling players are eventually pushed into PvP zones, which can be annoying since it's level capped players ganking lower level players. All the zones have a peace timer once in a while which allows questing players a chance to finish their quests in that zone. It's a pretty open PvP system, where you can even kill your own faction. There's also the open seas, where it's PvP all the time. The incentive to get on the water is for lucrative intercontinental trading.

There is a lot of cheating going on right now though. I really don't understand the logic behind deciding to run an old build of the game that has a lot of known exploits. It must be laziness. There is a new continent in one of the patches, and they probably don't want the large super organized guilds taking it over too early.

Oct 3, 2014, 11:48
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 11:48
Oct 3, 2014, 11:48

2 million desperately looking for their fix, one that may never come.

PvP and Cheating, there's a match made in hell.

Oct 3, 2014, 12:03
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 12:03
Oct 3, 2014, 12:03

I only recently started playing after learning of the sailing and commerce aspects of the game, only about 12 levels in but it isn't half bad so far.

I am a bit disappointed reading this information about the land plots.

How does a game boast to be a sandbox when they have an extremely limited number of plots, which are already completely full and getting totally abused?

Really drops the ball for everything that ArcheAge is supposed to offer.

Oct 3, 2014, 12:10
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 12:10
Oct 3, 2014, 12:10

This is pretty common for Korean games for some reason. Lineage 2 also had this, the Korean version of the game was something like 5 years ahead of the NA version of the game. Same thing with Mabinogi, and I'm sure other Korean games.
Not really sure what drives them to do something like that.

Also, despite claims of this being a sandbox pvp MMO, there isn't even a hint of that when you start playing. It's all just mindless quests wow-style. If the game somehow does a 180 somewhere at a certain level and becomes an open pvp sandbox MMO, that would be insane. Who would design something like that, and why would anyone even bother playing it then?

Oct 3, 2014, 12:19
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 12:19
Oct 3, 2014, 12:19

I've been loving it. The questing was a big 'meh' to me - largely because it's no different from every other MMO. What I like about AA is that when I hit lvl 15 I was able to mostly leave quests behind - I am at 38 now and have done it through crafting and trading. The PVP is interesting with the judicial system dynamics and piracy. I have not participated in any wars so far.

There is problems with spam in chat, and I have heard of the teleport hack but the summoning of bots is a new one. I have to call BS on the claim of a small plot (8x8) going for 300G - last night someone was trying to sell one for 10G on my server and I have seen ones in prime spots go for free. By way of reference I am earning 7G on a 20min trade run.

A lot of people were unable to get any land in the beginning and larger parcels are close to impossible to get for free even now. Since that is a dynamic that a lot of people were looking forward to they got really bitter. I do think it will get better but probably land will never go back to being free for large plots - but I think that is the way it should be.

Oct 3, 2014, 12:54
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 12:54
Oct 3, 2014, 12:54

Really fun game. The questing in the beginning is annoying and tedious but once you get past that, it really opens up.

IMO the fact that there are hacks and crazy shit going on just makes the game more fun. We're living in a world where our corporate overlords like Blizzard and EA keep tight control over everything we do in-game so it's nice to play a game like this again. It's just a video game after all, not your real life.

Oct 3, 2014, 13:13
Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 13:13
Oct 3, 2014, 13:13

Yakubs wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:54:
Really fun game. The questing in the beginning is annoying and tedious but once you get past that, it really opens up.

IMO the fact that there are hacks and crazy shit going on just makes the game more fun. We're living in a world where our corporate overlords like Blizzard and EA keep tight control over everything we do in-game so it's nice to play a game like this again. It's just a video game after all, not your real life.

But you are wasting your real life playing this ,) So it is real life

Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues
Oct 3, 2014, 13:15
Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Oct 3, 2014, 13:15
Oct 3, 2014, 13:15

garrywong wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:10:
This is pretty common for Korean games for some reason. Lineage 2 also had this, the Korean version of the game was something like 5 years ahead of the NA version of the game. Same thing with Mabinogi, and I'm sure other Korean games.
Not really sure what drives them to do something like that.

Also, despite claims of this being a sandbox pvp MMO, there isn't even a hint of that when you start playing. It's all just mindless quests wow-style. If the game somehow does a 180 somewhere at a certain level and becomes an open pvp sandbox MMO, that would be insane. Who would design something like that, and why would anyone even bother playing it then?

It's like that till about 30 when you enter the first Warzone. It's no different than any other MMO with PVP in it. You're sheltered for the first 20 levels or so that way people don't get frustrated and leave right away because the power gamers are bored and killing level 5's (See Age of Conan for how this can go wrong). After you enter the level 30ish zones you can be attacked by enemy, own faction, whoever feels like it. It still is the Sandbox MMO they claim it to be past that. However it is Korean so it is grindy. You grind for gear or mats to make gear as the Crafted items are the best in the game more or less. The PVP is awesome and we've already had some large scale naval battles on our server between Galleons. It's fun.
-C22

Oct 3, 2014, 13:34
Verno

Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 13:34
Oct 3, 2014, 13:34
 Verno

This sounds right up my alley, I live for the PvP shit. Thanks for the info guys, definitely going to pick it up. Is it ever coming to Steam again?
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer