Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released

Today marks the launch of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, the new action game set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the official website can help find where to buy the game. Here's an official launch trailer, and here's word on the release:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) and Monolith Productions announce that Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will be available today in stores throughout the US and Canada, on digital console in the Americas, and on Steam worldwide. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is a third-person, open world action game that introduces players to the next epic saga of Middle-earth as they embark on a dark journey through Mordor, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Featuring the innovative Nemesis System, the game is available at retailers and via digital download for PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft for the suggested retail pricing of $59.99 and on Windows PC for $49.99.

In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor players become Talion, a Gondorian Ranger of the Black Gate who is slain alongside his family on the night of Sauron’s return to Mordor. Resurrected from death and inextricably linked to a Wraith Spirit, Talion ventures on a quest of vengeance and discovery to unearth why he has been denied the peace of death. Players uncover the mystery behind the Spirit that compels him, discover the origins of the Rings of Power and confront their ultimate Nemesis.

The game introduces the innovative Nemesis System, through which every enemy encountered in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is procedurally generated and unique to each player, from appearance, to personality type, to strengths and weaknesses, to distinct enemy missions. Players will use Talion’s Wraith powers to manipulate and corrupt the wills of enemy Uruks and gain power to raise their own army in order to match Sauron’s forces on the field of battle.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 3, 2014, 12:57 SpectralMeat

Ended up grabbing the game I will play it on the weekend.
Thanks for all the feedback guys

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 2, 2014, 20:06 Quinn

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 18:22:
I can't believe how much I've been enjoying this game. It's really good. I think I like it more than Destiny. Maybe because there's a story.

I worked my way to the point where I have to build an army. Basically what the devs been selling since one of the first announcements of the game. I like it more than before now. The skills to "brand" orcs and order them to do stuff adds a dynamic to the game it desperately missed during the first half.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

80. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 2, 2014, 18:22 Agent.X7

I can't believe how much I've been enjoying this game. It's really good. I think I like it more than Destiny. Maybe because there's a story.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

79. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 2, 2014, 05:11 Quinn

NKD wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 03:07:
Quinn wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 02:25:
Quinn wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 10:40:
A tip for new-comers:

Exactly like the Arkham games, it's best NOT to roam from the start but at least do the first 5 or 6 main missions before you start acting like the completionist that you are. Those first main missions unlock skills and game features that add layers this game really needs.

Ok I'm gonna reply/add to my own comment here, because when the shitty fudge do we actually get the skills that are advertized in every single PR video of this game? I mean the option to let an Uruk SPY ON, ASSASSINATE or THREAT other Uruks? I'm already at 10/20 Main Missions looking at my progress bar and so far all I've been able to do is gain INTELL and KILL and do powerstruggle quests that are a big questionmark to me. Why should I care if a lower Uruk rises in power or not if I can't convert the fucker

You unlock Brand at the beginning of the second map. Death Threat is an ability you have to buy in the skill tree.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I'll advance EVEN MORE into the story when I get back home, then.

The game is good, the game is fun, albeit a bit lifeless. I can't say I'm superduper thrilled to start playing again this evening. This because I kinda got the feeling I've... already seen everything the game has to offer

I really hope those domination skills add allot to the gameplay.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

78. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 2, 2014, 03:07 NKD

Quinn wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 02:25:
A tip for new-comers:

Exactly like the Arkham games, it's best NOT to roam from the start but at least do the first 5 or 6 main missions before you start acting like the completionist that you are. Those first main missions unlock skills and game features that add layers this game really needs.

Ok I'm gonna reply/add to my own comment here, because when the shitty fudge do we actually get the skills that are advertized in every single PR video of this game? I mean the option to let an Uruk SPY ON, ASSASSINATE or THREAT other Uruks? I'm already at 10/20 Main Missions looking at my progress bar and so far all I've been able to do is gain INTELL and KILL and do powerstruggle quests that are a big questionmark to me. Why should I care if a lower Uruk rises in power or not if I can't convert the fucker

You unlock Brand at the beginning of the second map. Death Threat is an ability you have to buy in the skill tree.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

77. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 2, 2014, 02:25 Quinn

A tip for new-comers:

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

76. Re: Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed Oct 1, 2014, 15:37 christheshitter

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 22:46:
Sorry, but Lotro still owns this game....

They are not even the same type of game. Beside there's a lot of bullshit stories in lotro.

75. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 10:40 Quinn

A tip for new-comers:

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

74. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 09:47 NKD

PHJF wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 08:54:
I've noticed that after killing SOME captains, instead of seeing their heads on pikes at the Sauron's Army screen, it shows them simply lying on the ground.

I think the ones who show up on spikes are dead-dead, but the others can come back to haunt you? Not sure.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

73. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 09:15 harlock

Redmask wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 07:27:
Combat is far too easy and the game doesn't seem to have any difficulty sliders. I haven't even come close to dying yet in 4 hours. It's not a bad game but I need some challenge to stay interested and this is providing none.

how many stronghold missions have you done?

72. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 09:06 PHJF

FYI, I just found out the "HD Texture Pack" requires download of a DLC in addition to the regular install. It's a 3.7GB download.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311670/?snr=1_5_9__205

Steam + PSN: PHJF

71. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 08:54 PHJF

I've noticed that after killing SOME captains, instead of seeing their heads on pikes at the Sauron's Army screen, it shows them simply lying on the ground.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

70. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 08:53 Frags4Fun

Asmo wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 17:44:
nVidia:The way it's meant to be played...

Cept shit SLI support and 3 screen surround is broken.

Didn't get much time in game, looks fun but seriously, if nVidia is your flagship partner and a person using 2x nvidia cards can't use two of their highly promoted pictures, what's the fucking point?!?!

I basically gave up on Nvidia Surround because it's such a hassle especially if you have a lot of different games. It's amazing when it works but a big waste of time when it doesn't.

“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

69. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 08:49 JayDeath

Fantaz wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 02:14:
even though Monolith did a good game here, i hope they don't decide to just continue doing licensed games and instead focus on new IP's and stuff. and revisiting NOLF/Shogo/Tron is a good idea too.

Omg, I would love to play another NOLF. Those games were really fun.

Steam: BenRichards

68. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 08:36 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 04:07:
- I've tried intentionally injuring a captain and letting him run off twice. The first guy got eaten by a Carabor halfway across the map. (It cut to his death while I was climbing something.) The second guy got jumped by another captain and also died. I gave up on doing it on purpose. I did have one guy who was missing an eye and had burn scars, but I accidentally killed him before I even knew he was around again.

People have noticed that, unless you specifically lop off the head, or stick something sharp through it, there's a chance the orc will come back again.

So don't get too comfortable.

67. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 07:48 nin

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 22:46:
Sorry, but Lotro still owns this game....

5 out of 10, you'll troll again.

66. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 07:27 Redmask

Combat is far too easy and the game doesn't seem to have any difficulty sliders. I haven't even come close to dying yet in 4 hours. It's not a bad game but I need some challenge to stay interested and this is providing none. At least give some basic difficulty toggles for people who don't want to breeze through the whole game. It is pretty stupid that I need to artificially play poorly for the game to be difficult. I didn't expect to care about the story so its not a big let down but the combat was fun for the first hour and now its putting me to sleep.

So that I'm not just bitching.. the flow of combat is well done, the engine is very optimized (~70fps @ 4k on an Asus 970) and it gets the hit feedback right like the Arkham games.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2014, 07:33.

65. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 04:55 Quinn

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 04:39:
Just looked up some reviews. Yeah, I guess you swap maps partway through.

And no, it's not Serkis, my preeeeeeeeecious.

Ahh, good to hear!

Not Serkis? My god, that's unbelievable. I could've sworn...

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

64. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 04:39 Agent.X7

Just looked up some reviews. Yeah, I guess you swap maps partway through.

And no, it's not Serkis, my preeeeeeeeecious.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

63. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 04:28 Quinn

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 04:07:
Played for about 7 or 8 hours. Having a lot of fun. Some random thoughts:

- The world seems REALLY small. Like, you can cross it in minutes small.

This scares me. And I don't think that the first areamap is the entire world. If it is the entire world, the PR guy during the NVIDIA gameplay session basically LIED and I probably complete the game this evening... and I'm at work until 5.

- I've tried intentionally injuring a captain and letting him run off twice. The first guy got eaten by a Carabor halfway across the map. (It cut to his death while I was climbing something.) The second guy got jumped by another captain and also died. I gave up on doing it on purpose. I did have one guy who was missing an eye and had burn scars, but I accidentally killed him before I even knew he was around again.

I know what you mean. This part of the nemesis system doesn't seem to work for me either. There was a certain Uruk that I thought I killed but came back with scars on his face and I killed him again within half a minute. He came back again with leather straps covering almost his entire face, and I killed him again within half a minute. He came back AGAIN and at that point I decapitated him within half a minute. He didn't come back afterwards but it didn't really add anything either -- he was just another Uruk, dying too easily.

- The guy doing Gollum also did a great job. I had to look it up on IMDB just to see if it was really Andy Serkis or not.

Wait, are you saying it's not Andy Serkis!???!!

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo