Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans

A Steam community announcement has word from Double Fine on plans to release version 1.0 of Spacebase DF-9 next month, which will conclude the early access stage for this sci-fi strategy game (thanks Joao). They thank their early access customers for the support, but some of those customers are expressing dissatisfaction with how the finished game will not match up with the promises the developer originally made. They support this case by way of a cached version of Double Fine's development roadmap to show how drastically it differs from their current roadmap. Double Fine has enjoyed a positive relationship with the community, and even that is playing into this, as users are pointing to a another cache of a post by Double Fine that they've since deleted from this thread on their forums where the developer staked their reputation on following through on the early access game, saying: "Double Fine is not a random fly-by-night indie dev and we are not going to silently pull the plug on Spacebase or any other in-development project. Doing so would be disastrous for our reputation and it would kill us emotionally ;____;" A new update they posted yesterday paints a different picture of their commitment to the game:
Spacebase had a strong launch in October of last year and while sales remained steady for a while afterwards, earlier this year it became clear that we would have to work towards wrapping up development. As project lead I can honestly tell you that we’ve done everything we could to keep making the game the best it can be. We pulled out all the stops we could for Alpha 6 and we’re proud of the depth it has added to the game. I believe the Goals and Tutorial Mode we’re adding for 1.0 are also a large missing piece that will lend the game greater unity and direction. We were careful not to make promises about anything on the old dev plan page, even as we hoped we’d someday get to implement all of it and more. Again this came down to time and resources, factors beyond my control.
View : : :

Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
Sep 21, 2014, 07:02
Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 07:02
Sep 21, 2014, 07:02

Jensen wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 05:35:
They have little capital, but high operating costs.
I can understand the financial situation. I can understand, that communicating a difficult financial situation is something your common developer does not want to do. But either the dev knows how to communicate something like this or he hires someone who can do it better. Shoddy communication hurts you in the long run.
Date
Subject
Author
Sep 21, 2014Sep 21 2014
Sep 21, 2014Sep 21 2014
Sep 21, 2014Sep 21 2014
Sep 21, 2014Sep 21 2014
          Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
Sep 21, 2014Sep 21 2014
Sep 21, 2014Sep 21 2014
Sep 22, 2014Sep 22 2014
Sep 20, 2014Sep 20 2014