Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

For years we thought we were the only household in the world using Tony Chachere's Famous Creole Seasoning, as it's so hard to find in stores. Just recently, however, TV commercials for this have started airing, suggesting it's now in wider distribution. The feeling that we have more of connection with this product than newcomers is diminished, however, by learning we've been pronouncing it wrong all along, as it is apparently sha-sherry, while our attempt to speak Creole had us calling is cha-share. Actually I still think it sounds more authentic our way, but I'm willing to stand corrected on this.

Here's an NFL Week Three discussion thread... it's possible there may even be discussion of this week's games!

Creole Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Freeway Fury 3.
Vegan Vampire.
Science: The little-known Soviet mission to rescue a dead space station.
Artificial sweeteners may leave their users glucose intolerant.
Images: The biggest comparison of sci-fi spaceships ever is complete at last.
Media: THE SIMS 4 IN REAL LIFE.
How Many of These Movie Tropes Did You Actually Believe Were True? None.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2014, 09:03 Efflixi

Blue, I'm Cajun, born and bred in Louisiana! We pronounce it sash-er-ray where I'm from.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 18:38 Redmask

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 18:11:
. it's possible there may even be discussion of this week's games!

LMAO! My wife beaters can score more points than your child abusers!

The Minnesota Child Abusers vs the Arizona Domestic Assaults? Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 18:11 Prez

. it's possible there may even be discussion of this week's games!

LMAO! My wife beaters can score more points than your child abusers!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 14:33 Retired

I give up....I just have hope that my son will utilize my account to it's potential....  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 14:13 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 12:41:
Ratty wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 11:56:
Movie tropes. Didn't watch it all but saw the asteroid belt trope which is my number 2 pet sci-fi peeve. And they ALL do it. I've never seen a movie or series that didn't depict asteroid belts as thick and crowded.

My number one peeve is the lights inside spacesuit helmets that illuminate the astronaut's faces. They all do that too - even 2001 IIRC. Like driving a car at night with the inside lights on.

Astronauts apparently love being blinded all the time. :p

The only one in the movie trope video I had a bit of an issue with was the pistol shot vs padlock. Mythbusters actually tested that one, and found that a sufficiently heavy caliber pistol CAN actually destroy a (flimsy) padlock.

The helmet lights are just so you can see the actor. In reality, all you would see is a black hole, or at best a reflection. But the rest of the tropes? Yeah, super irritating.

Gasoline? Liquid gasoline DOES NOT IGNITE! It's the fumes that ignite, and all throwing your cigarette into the gas would do is put it out. And the whole shooting the gas puddle/ gas tank/ what ever is filled with gas is so annoying. Bullets are copper and lead. Neither of these will strike sparks on impact, which means you have a 0% chance of igniting shit. (Unless you put the gun barrel close enough to try to ignite the fumes with the burning powder, in which case you will burn too.) I have seen a couple of smarter movies where the characters taped flares to propane tanks, threw the tanks, and then used bullets to punch holes in the tanks allowing the flares to ignite the escaping gas. Unfortunately, in real life you cannot predict if the tank will explode or just wiz around like a firework.

The padlock thing? Totally depends on the bullet. 124gr 9mm? Probably not. 185gr .40S&W? Probably. 300gr 50AE? Most definitely.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 13:20 descender

I feel your pain, I'm still working on games I bought 2 or 3 summer sales ago :/  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 13:12 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 13:09:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 12:36:
Btw fellas, the Dragon Fall Director's Cut is now available, so all of you who already owned Dragon Fall should have it in your Steam account.

<Looks at length of unplayed steam games list, weeps>

SOME DAY you'll play all of those games! You will!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 13:09 nin

Btw fellas, the Dragon Fall Director's Cut is now available, so all of you who already owned Dragon Fall should have it in your Steam account.

<Looks at length of unplayed steam games list, weeps>

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:44 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 12:39:
I just did my Amazon order for about 60 bucks. I bought a couple of books and a couple of Thai sauces, chili paste, and dried peppers. Did you see these Blue? I had a couple of things in my cart from earlier and I was too lazy to remove them and add them again after I went there from here. A lot of the stuff was from 3rd party vendors. Do they count? Also i wonder if I have to change any cookie preferences, like, do I have to start accepting third-party cookies?

This is the first time I've ordered from Amazon since your program and I just want to make sure I do it right.

Stuff from third party vendors should count, yeah, unless it's just a storefront on Amazon and not actually being handled by Amazon. As for the cookies, I doubt Amazon works if you have them turned all the way off, so I think you'd be okay. Do you have Blue's site automatically filling in username / pw, or do you use the ignore list here at all? If so, you're fine on your cookies.

And I think the stuff you added to your cart earlier might even still count, as I imagine the cookie doesn't actually get checked until checkout.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:41 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 11:56:
Movie tropes. Didn't watch it all but saw the asteroid belt trope which is my number 2 pet sci-fi peeve. And they ALL do it. I've never seen a movie or series that didn't depict asteroid belts as thick and crowded.

My number one peeve is the lights inside spacesuit helmets that illuminate the astronaut's faces. They all do that too - even 2001 IIRC. Like driving a car at night with the inside lights on.

Astronauts apparently love being blinded all the time. :p

The only one in the movie trope video I had a bit of an issue with was the pistol shot vs padlock. Mythbusters actually tested that one, and found that a sufficiently heavy caliber pistol CAN actually destroy a (flimsy) padlock.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:41 Xil

just saw it, not sure if its enough for me to do a replay after finished both a few months ago.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:39 Ratty

I just did my Amazon order for about 60 bucks. I bought a couple of books and a couple of Thai sauces, chili paste, and dried peppers. Did you see these Blue? I had a couple of things in my cart from earlier and I was too lazy to remove them and add them again after I went there from here. A lot of the stuff was from 3rd party vendors. Do they count? Also i wonder if I have to change any cookie preferences, like, do I have to start accepting third-party cookies?

This is the first time I've ordered from Amazon since your program and I just want to make sure I do it right.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:24 Xil

InBlack wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 09:58:
Great story on that Soviet mission...

indeed, guess there are loads of things from those days we don't know about, but good read this was

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:17 ForgedReality

Freeway Fury 3... This game is kinda fun.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:07 descender

Some "tropes" are there for the viewer (like the helmet light) and not really meant to be realistic... they just want you to be able to see the movie.

Being 'realistic" doesn't instantly make things more entertaining. Something I wish some video game developers would learn.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 Ratty

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 11:14  Blue 

Tim1_2 wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 11:12:
Blue, what do you generally put it on that you love?

It's more of a MrsBlue thing, as I tend to make my own spice blends, but it's my go to for rice and beans.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 11:12 Tim1_2

Found this copycat recipe for the Creole seasoning: http://www.food.com/recipe/tony-chacheres-creole-seasoning-copycat-500434

No idea if it's any good, haven't tried the original, but I will try making the copycat sometime.

Blue, what do you generally put it on that you love?

Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 11:12  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 11:01:
And for 2 days now I've had Green Day's Warning stuck in my head. So everyone go listen to it and get it stuck in your head as well.

Now I have this stuck in my head.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo