6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Sep 16, 2014, 21:26
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 21:26
Sep 16, 2014, 21:26

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 16:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 10:16:
What happens with steam account once you die though? Can family take it over? Or do you have to plan ahead and make sure your passwords are accessible to whoever is left after you? And how would you facilitate that without it being a huge security risk?

This stuff doesn't worry me much yet, but I feel like it is stuff that is important to know. With more and more of our lives being digital.....
Good question, my will states that ownership of my steam library transfers to my sister and best friend. Should they both want it the number of games will be randomly divided between both parties. I'm sure that someone else has included this in their own will already and it'll probably hit the courts before I die.

Case law is going to catch up shatteringly fast to this without a question. It'll follow that consumer and federal laws(or state laws) will catch up fast once it starts hitting the courts as well.

How can games in a single Steam account be divided among two or more people?
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

No subject
Sep 16, 2014, 16:58
No subject Sep 16, 2014, 16:58
Sep 16, 2014, 16:58

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 10:16:
What happens with steam account once you die though? Can family take it over? Or do you have to plan ahead and make sure your passwords are accessible to whoever is left after you? And how would you facilitate that without it being a huge security risk?

This stuff doesn't worry me much yet, but I feel like it is stuff that is important to know. With more and more of our lives being digital.....
Good question, my will states that ownership of my steam library transfers to my sister and best friend. Should they both want it the number of games will be randomly divided between both parties. I'm sure that someone else has included this in their own will already and it'll probably hit the courts before I die.

Case law is going to catch up shatteringly fast to this without a question. It'll follow that consumer and federal laws(or state laws) will catch up fast once it starts hitting the courts as well.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 16, 2014, 15:02
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 15:02
Sep 16, 2014, 15:02

Jury finds CBS infringes podcasting patent, awards $1.3 million.

With the SCOTUS invalidating 11 "...on a computer" patents yesterday, I wonder if this one will be invalidated on appeal. IIRC it's in the same vein.
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Sep 16, 2014, 10:23
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 10:23
Sep 16, 2014, 10:23

That Ars article... I'm curious (I haven't clicked yet) but I wonder if they mention anything about this...

http://a.pomf.se/wvukav.webm

The hilariousness of it all... it's reaching heights beyond the absurd.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like it was just a straight-through interview.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2014, 11:41.

Sep 16, 2014, 10:16
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 10:16
Sep 16, 2014, 10:16

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 09:58:
Yahoo slams new 'digital will' law, says users have privacy when they die.

Think we have talked about this, but had a friend die a few years back. Every year we get together and play DoD Source in his honor. Creepy to see the days tick off since he last logged on....we all played together the night he passed....1,699 days ago....

Sep 16, 2014, 09:58
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 09:58
Sep 16, 2014, 09:58

Yahoo slams new 'digital will' law, says users have privacy when they die.

Think we have talked about this, but had a friend die a few years back. Every year we get together and play DoD Source in his honor. Creepy to see the days tick off since he last logged on....we all played together the night he passed....1,699 days ago....
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older