Transverse Funding Reworked

The Transverse website has added a $500,000 initial goal for the fundraiser for Piranha Games' recently announced space-flight MMORPG, and announces if this goal is not met, all pledges will be refunded. This increases the chances the campaign will succeed, but at this point this still seems farfetched, as the project has only attracted $6,930 as of this writing. There's also a new video from Transverse discussing player progression. Finally, after the developer was shadowbanned from its own subreddit, they are back in control of the channel, though as noted on IncGamers, they've had to lock it down to deal with "negative swarming and spamming behavior."

View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Transverse Funding Reworked
Sep 12, 2014, 22:47
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 22:47
Sep 12, 2014, 22:47

verybad1 wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 21:07:
Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 17:00:
verybad1 wrote on Sep 12, 2014,
Seriously, you think I'm shrilling for them when I mention how badly they're failing on their transverse thing?15:34:

Wow, in the last 17 hours
it's gone from
76 backers and $6530 pledged
to
83 Backers and $7110 pledged.

Nice to see that integrity still matters.

Please note I don't want Piranha to fail. They have the basics to a good game in MWO, they just need to focus more on making that good game than on draining money out of the customers.

I completely understand that they need to make money to continue as a functioning company, but the money WILL come if they work harder on making the game what it was promised to be. As for Transverse, I don't think that Piranha is capable of developing two decent games at the same time. I do want Transverse to go away.

So, in other words you work for them. Shill harder.

I worked for years on modding Mechwarrior 4, and MWO shut us (MekTek) down on that IP. There's no fucking way I'm "shrilling" for them, however I don't think there will be a Mechwarrior game for a very long time if they fail.

When I mentioned "nice to see that integrity still matters" it was because nobody is buying their spiel after how they've treated their customers for MWO.

I'm a long time Mechwarrior/Battletech fan, and I just want there to be a game for it.

Don't take him too seriously, he thinks any opinion different than his on anything from favorite video game to things even more trivial is idiotic. If you have a different opinion than him, you're a troll or a shill.

Sep 12, 2014, 21:07
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 21:07
Sep 12, 2014, 21:07

verybad1 wrote on Sep 12, 2014,
Seriously, you think I'm shrilling for them when I mention how badly they're failing on their transverse thing?15:34:

it's gone from
to

Please note I don't want Piranha to fail. They have the basics to a good game in MWO, they just need to focus more on making that good game than on draining money out of the customers.

I completely understand that they need to make money to continue as a functioning company, but the money WILL come if they work harder on making the game what it was promised to be. As for Transverse, I don't think that Piranha is capable of developing two decent games at the same time. I do want Transverse to go away.

I worked for years on modding Mechwarrior 4, and MWO shut us (MekTek) down on that IP. There's no fucking way I'm "shrilling" for them, however I don't think there will be a Mechwarrior game for a very long time if they fail.

When I mentioned "nice to see that integrity still matters" it was because nobody is buying their spiel after how they've treated their customers for MWO.

I'm a long time Mechwarrior/Battletech fan, and I just want there to be a game for it.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2014, 21:13.

Sep 12, 2014, 18:03
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 18:03
Sep 12, 2014, 18:03

verybad1 wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 15:34:

C'mon Cutter, really? I think it's always better to hope a company/people learn from their mistakes and improve a product of a beloved franchise (MWO) or make a good game from a new IP (Transverse) than fail. It's just that these guys have got a lot of learning to do.

I will say though, that freeze frame pic of that dude in the video makes him look like a pretentious hipster. It's fitting.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 12, 2014, 17:05
Quboid

Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 17:05
Sep 12, 2014, 17:05
 Quboid

I seriously doubt that.

Sep 12, 2014, 17:00
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 17:00
Sep 12, 2014, 17:00

it's gone from
to

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Sep 12, 2014, 16:42
nin
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 16:42
Sep 12, 2014, 16:42
nin

Endo wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 16:39:

Please note I don't want Piranha to fail.

I do want them to fail. HARD.

From everything people have said here, they sound like total assholes. Fuck em...

Sep 12, 2014, 16:39
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 16:39
Sep 12, 2014, 16:39

Please note I don't want Piranha to fail.

I do want them to fail. HARD. They've been stringing along investors for over two years now, delivering almost nothing they promised and making what already existed worse instead of better. And now, they want to leave all their invested customers in the lurch completely and focus their resources on a new cash grab. Fuck them. I want to see them fail so hard they never get a chance to pull this shit again.

Sep 12, 2014, 15:34
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 15:34
Sep 12, 2014, 15:34

it's gone from
to

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2014, 15:53.

Sep 12, 2014, 15:20
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 15:20
Sep 12, 2014, 15:20

I hadn't realized MWO was crowd funded. Wow.

Sep 12, 2014, 14:59
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 14:59
Sep 12, 2014, 14:59

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:31:
I honestly don't understand all the hate this project is getting. Not saying I don't feel it isn't deserved, but most of what I'm gathering is people feel Piranha really screwed up MWO and hasn't made a good game?

How much of the MWO screw up was theirs and how much was the publishers?
How much wouldn't be considered a screw up without that name?

I'm asking these genuinely. I've tried reading these articles, but then they talk about things like a shadow ban (wtf is a shadow ban?) and link to a bunch of twitter posts that claim the ships in this game are rip offs of ships in Star Citizen, even though the two ships look absolutely nothing alike.

In general, people just think this game is severely over promising, asking for too much money, and coming from a studio that has proven it can't make a good, large MMO, right? Is that what it boils down to? It seems like the level of hate goes bigger than that, like when that other company kept showing assets that weren't theirs.

The hate for this project comes mostly from how they've handled MWO development and that community. In order to initially fund it, they made promises to hardcore mechwarriors that the game would (for example) be first person only, and maintain the balance between energy weapons (unlimited ammo, but heat build up) and projectile weapons (limited ammo, but much less heat) by not selling coolant flushes (making the heat build up meaningless). They reneged on both of these, and several others, disrupting both the balance and game experience.

As for the community, they've regularly banned posters, nuked threads, and modified threads when posts were negative. Instead of engaging, they suppressed, even on reddit, where such behavior is forbidden by the terms of use (thus they got banned). Given how they've treated the MWO community, it isn't surprising that this is receiving derision instead of funds.

And it's pretty obvious they're imitating Star Citizen. The "good guy" fighters in the Transverse trailer with their triangluar dual-wing design are obviously heavily inspired by the RSI 300i. The moment it appeared in the trailer I recognized the influence. And the Transverse website has taken most of its cues from the RSI website as well: same layout, same font, same blue nebula background image, same ship pricing model, etc. etc. It just reeks of an inability to think originally, and bandwagon jumping, which dovetails with how they've approached MWO: a focus on making money over building a great game. I don't blame people for the scorn they've heaped on this.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 12, 2014, 14:38
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 14:38
Sep 12, 2014, 14:38

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 14:25:
Wait. So what were they building with a million.
And what would you do with weapons and not battles.
Did they mean like, PvP but the game would have PvE?

I know you probably can't answer this because I get it. They didn't answer this. It's so weird. It's like someone building a space sim that was just a hanger to walk around in and put towels in your cockpit, without there being an actual game around it unless people donated more.

For the 2,000,000 goal, Combat: "Let the battle begin! Backers will now be able to fight each other online in local space instances." So they make it sound like if they don't hit 2,000,000 you can only battle NPCs in the MMORPG.

The better question is what would the game be like if they fund over 500,000 but less than a million? You don't get your money back (that's what they just announced, if the game funds for less than 500,000 everyone gets their money back), and you have a space-sim with no space flight.

It sounds like they didn't fulfill their promises for MWO. I don't know about that, I didn't play it... but I think anyone would be a fool for backing this project based on these stretch goals.

Sep 12, 2014, 14:31
Prez

Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 14:31
Sep 12, 2014, 14:31
 Prez

I don't know, even with this reworking, it just seems they are setting themselves up for a major embarassment.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 12, 2014, 14:25
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 14:25
Sep 12, 2014, 14:25

Loose Cannon wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 14:16:
Beamer wrote:
I honestly don't understand all the hate this project is getting.

When their funding initiative began their stretch goals were:
  • 1,000,000 space flight added to the game
  • 1,500,000 customize ship with weapons
  • 2,000,000 space battles

It would be great to fund a space-flight game without having the ability to fly in space... or customize your ship... or have space battles.

*Edit, I thought they had removed those as stretch goals, but they haven't. See for yourself: https://transversegame.com/about/funding

Wait. So what were they building with a million.
And what would you do with weapons and not battles.
Did they mean like, PvP but the game would have PvE?

I know you probably can't answer this because I get it. They didn't answer this. It's so weird. It's like someone building a space sim that was just a hanger to walk around in and put towels in your cockpit, without there being an actual game around it unless people donated more.

Sep 12, 2014, 14:16
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 14:16
Sep 12, 2014, 14:16

Beamer wrote:
I honestly don't understand all the hate this project is getting.

When their funding initiative began their stretch goals were:
  • 1,000,000 space flight added to the game
  • 1,500,000 customize ship with weapons
  • 2,000,000 space battles

It would be great to fund a space-flight game without having the ability to fly in space... or customize your ship... or have space battles.

*Edit, I thought they had removed those as stretch goals, but they haven't. See for yourself: https://transversegame.com/about/funding

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2014, 14:23.

Sep 12, 2014, 12:50
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 12:50
Sep 12, 2014, 12:50

Iridium wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:08:
Optimaximal wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 09:44:
It's all of that, plus the thrill of watching the most insanely incompetent PR team probably in the whole of the games industry constantly collapsing upon itself.
I think that title goes to these guys: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal/

Sep 12, 2014, 11:46
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 11:46
Sep 12, 2014, 11:46

The pitch video isn't good enough to get support at those prices. Not with SC being in the news all the time. If they changed those prices to about 10 - 20 % of what they are now they might be able to get 500k but I don't see how the game has a long term future. Elite is almost done, SC by the end of the year is going to be a multiplayer combat game at least, possibly racing and fps stuff as well...

The game isn't that bad but those prices are ridiculous. If they go back to the drawing board and pay some better modellers to make everything look better then try again in a year or so maybe. I'll always want more space games but that video looks like an early gen 360 game in many spots and you want to market it to PC gamers? Try xbox live arcade, on the 360.

Sep 12, 2014, 11:35
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 11:35
Sep 12, 2014, 11:35

So they're reversed course again. What's 'macs' in reverse?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Sep 12, 2014, 11:31
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 11:31
Sep 12, 2014, 11:31

I honestly don't understand all the hate this project is getting. Not saying I don't feel it isn't deserved, but most of what I'm gathering is people feel Piranha really screwed up MWO and hasn't made a good game?

How much of the MWO screw up was theirs and how much was the publishers?
How much wouldn't be considered a screw up without that name?

I'm asking these genuinely. I've tried reading these articles, but then they talk about things like a shadow ban (wtf is a shadow ban?) and link to a bunch of twitter posts that claim the ships in this game are rip offs of ships in Star Citizen, even though the two ships look absolutely nothing alike.

In general, people just think this game is severely over promising, asking for too much money, and coming from a studio that has proven it can't make a good, large MMO, right? Is that what it boils down to? It seems like the level of hate goes bigger than that, like when that other company kept showing assets that weren't theirs.

Sep 12, 2014, 11:30
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 11:30
Sep 12, 2014, 11:30

Dave_Genesi wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:20:
While I am not s huge fan of the current MWO game, I did want to let you know that MWO has had out of game chat for a LONG time. Click on the 3 person icon at the bottom of the screen.

That's if you invite someone. MWO doesn't have actual chat room lobbies, which seems to be a Lost Technology of the Era of Triple A games. Oh wait, Diablo still has it.

Sep 12, 2014, 11:20
Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 11:20
Sep 12, 2014, 11:20

While I am not s huge fan of the current MWO game, I did want to let you know that MWO has had out of game chat for a LONG time. Click on the 3 person icon at the bottom of the screen.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older