Out of the Blue

Happy birthday Dreamcast, as the star-crossed console was released in North America 15 years ago today, marking SEGA's final entry in the console market. The system had a successful launch, but they ended up killing it just 18 months later after the PlayStation 2 era dawned. And I promised mercy on the non-NFL fans, so here's a separate thread for football discussion.

Star-Crossed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sacrifire.
Gunnihilation.
Jelly Truck.
Stories: A Superhero of Sorts in a Hunt for Artifacts. Thanks Neutronbeam.
British Actor James Corden to Replace Craig Ferguson on "The Late Late Show".
Science: Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse.
Hundreds of Children Stricken by Rare Respiratory Illness in Colorado. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Student Debt.
Freak Basketball Shot Saves Aussie Dad Millions Of Dollars.
Jimmy Kimmel Goes Through Sarah Silverman's Purse. Thanks nin.
Image: Mel Brooks is always on (count the fingers).
Follow-up: Three Things To Keep In Mind About The Big Jack The Ripper 'Reveal'.
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 10, 2014, 09:00
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 09:00
Sep 10, 2014, 09:00

Ugh please don't kill Minecraft.

He was already worth hundreds of millions. I have to question Microsofts sanity in buying such a property, Minecraft has already sold through to most markets, I'm not sure how they ever expect to make back that kind of money. Mojang hasn't exactly been successful outside of Minecraft either.

They could fund several studios to make new IP with that kind of bling. Hell go buy Take Two, you've got RDR and GTA then.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2014, 09:05.

Sep 10, 2014, 05:48
mag
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 05:48
Sep 10, 2014, 05:48
mag

Redmask wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 20:14:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 19:29:
Rumor mill is saying MS is close to buying Mojang for 2 billion.

Awesome, another thing Microsoft can fucking destroy. Notch, the guy who rails on about EA, selling out to fucking Microsoft is just rich.

XBOX XCLUSIVE!

You can have all of the principles in the world, but... man. $2B is $2B. In the grand scheme of things, you can do a lot more Good with $2B than you can with a morally righteous video game company.

Sep 10, 2014, 03:03
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 03:03
Sep 10, 2014, 03:03

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:18:
nin wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:10:
Wallshadows wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 09:55:
Stephen Hawking is a media-hyped Physicist and likely not even on a list for the top 20 Physicists of the 20th century.

Wow.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the attention he gets but I am confident in saying that there are likely far more Physicists out there who have gone unnoticed by the media that contributed far more towards their fields of research.

Michio Kaku is another example of a media-hyped Physicist but that doesn't mean he's bad. I love me some Michio Kaku.

20 might be a stretch though.

My dad is a physicist, and while Stephen Hawking is very famous and acclaimed in the general media compared to most physicists let me assure you of this: He is EVEN MORE acclaimed in the physics community and was so way before anyone outside of the community even knew of his existence.
I have a nifty blue line!

Sep 9, 2014, 22:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 22:52
Sep 9, 2014, 22:52

If anyone is wondering what the whole hawking thing is about...

Here's the gist - going on my understanding.

Our universe has properties, known as 'universal constants'. Things you can call "magic numbers".
If these numbers were different, you would have entirely different subatomic particles, ergo different particles, different atoms, different behaviors of all things physical.

Subatomic particles are localized spikes in fields. When a field gets too strong, it ejects a particle, and the field strength falls down to a stable level. Similarly, subatomic particles 'die', and return their energy to their respective field. Matter is constantly appearing and disappearing out of proverbially nowhere - at scales too small for your eyes to detect, but measurable and calculable by experimentation and analysis of experimental data.

Should the universal constants ever change, matter as we know it would cease to exist, and something new would reform in its place. Particles would destabilize, reabsorb into their fields, and become re-ejected in a new alien form that corresponds to the new universal constants.

Why are they the universal constants what they are? That depends on background energy.

Empty space isn't empty. There is an energetic potential, in a number of different fields, present throughout the void.

Often we measure things in terms of differences in potential.
Your power socket has 110volts - peak to peak, between the the Vsupply and Return lines.
But, you don't know if the absolute value of each line is -1000 and -900, or 10000 and 10100.
You can only ever measure things in relative terms - in reference to something.

Universal constants depend on the absolute value of the fields - which you can't easily and directly measure.
You can slowly build up formulas that describe measurable relationships in physics, and then solve for missing items - including absolute energy levels.

There was already an estimate of the absolute energy level of space prior to the confirmation of the higgs boson. However, the higgs boson had a significance in that some formulas that were used to calculate background energy, relied on the unverified higgs boson energy level. After the confirmation of the higgs boson, the estimate of background energy became much more precise.

The new estimate peggs space as "metastable".

Unstable space immediately will perform quantum tunneling, its background energy level collapsing to a lower and more stable level, changing universal constants, and annihilating existence in that area.

Stable space will never quantum tunnel.

Metastable space has a probability of quantum tunneling to a lower energy level.
Meaning that, being in metastable space, our universe will at some point tunnel, and from a single point in space (where it happens), the previous universe will dissintegrate, with new matter reintegrating in its wake.

Essentially, a new big bang.

But we would never know, because the event horizon of such an event would be arriving at light speed. By the time we saw it, we wouldn't exist anymore to realize it.

Refer to the reg/yellow/green chart on this page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

Calculations also indicate that lower backgound energy implies lower probability of matter ejection from a given field.
That leads to a fun thought : At some point, there would be no new matter, after enough tunneling events - unless there is a stable space before that, which also contains matter. If there is not a stable space that has matter, and not knowing if the space after ours will be stable or have matter, there is always the possibility that our space has a non zero probability of being the last space ever (fun thought).

Hawking was basically saying that you could purposefully trigger a tunneling event if you really wanted to, using a collider larger than a planet - and joking that we don't have the political will to finance such a thing.

There are also interesting implications about the shape of space that stem from the sign of background energy. If it's negative, positive, or zero.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2014, 23:44.

Sep 9, 2014, 20:27
Quboid

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 20:27
Sep 9, 2014, 20:27
 Quboid

sauron wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 12:58:
I've always like Craig Ferguson - kind of a fun guy. First saw him on Drew Carey and thought he was really funny.

But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is Colbert on The Late Show. That's going to be a riot. Will either be a roaring success, or he'll get CBS sued by every major conservative, liberal and commercial organization in the country. I might even have to buy a TV.

I only experience this sort of show as clips on YouTube so my experience may be very different regular viewers' but Craig Ferguson has long been my favourite, at least for general comedy. Seeing Colbert in this field will be interesting; I've seen him out of character but never doing an actual show as himself.

James Corden is not a favourite. I haven't heard so much relief at someone leaving our (UK) screens since Piers Morgan somehow got a show abroad. He's a young guy and maybe he will improve but I doubt he'll ever be as good as Craig Ferguson and his style is more brash and rather brainless. It's a lot easier to picture him as a comic relief judge on some talent show than somehow making talking to a camp robot actually funny.

Sep 9, 2014, 20:14
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 20:14
Sep 9, 2014, 20:14

Awesome, another thing Microsoft can fucking destroy. Notch, the guy who rails on about EA, selling out to fucking Microsoft is just rich.

XBOX XCLUSIVE!

Sep 9, 2014, 19:40
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 19:40
Sep 9, 2014, 19:40
nin

I sure as fuck hope not, but yeah, it's not looking positive.

Sep 9, 2014, 19:29
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 19:29
Sep 9, 2014, 19:29
 Jivaro

Re: Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse.
Sep 9, 2014, 19:04
Re: Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse. Sep 9, 2014, 19:04
Sep 9, 2014, 19:04

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 18:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 13:03:
Holy fucking shit. rawstory.com gets on my blacklist with this bullshit

Yeah, rawstory used to be a good collection of news, politics, and science you didn't see very many other places. But the past few years it has become very clickbaity.

And yeah, that was my thought: if what happens inside a supermassive blackhole hasn't caused space-time to collapse, probably nothing we could do would.

At least not without building dyson spheres and focusing all that energy on a single point in the universe (which may or may not actually recreate the creation event of the universe, I doubt a single or a dozen stars produce enough energy to do something like that). Which is so far out of reach for humanity you might as well be talking about elves and orcs and magical fireballs. Heck, Shadowrun becoming reality is more likely than space-time collapsing

Re: Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse.
Sep 9, 2014, 18:54
Re: Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse. Sep 9, 2014, 18:54
Sep 9, 2014, 18:54

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Sep 9, 2014, 18:27
Re: Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse. Sep 9, 2014, 18:27
Sep 9, 2014, 18:27

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 13:03:

Yeah, rawstory used to be a good collection of news, politics, and science you didn't see very many other places. But the past few years it has become very clickbaity.

And yeah, that was my thought: if what happens inside a supermassive blackhole hasn't caused space-time to collapse, probably nothing we could do would.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 9, 2014, 18:22
mag
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 18:22
Sep 9, 2014, 18:22
mag

Hyatus wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 16:16:
Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:49:
Powerstone and Skies of Arcadia were my favs though there were several other good games on there. I hated the Dreamcast controller though.

I forgot about SoA. Yeah, the controllers are crap. I do like the VMU idea, but not its execution. The Gamecube's FF: Crystal Chronicles utilized the same idea but to a more comfortable degree. Of course, Nintendo's controllers have mostly been crap ever since they rocked it out with the SNES ones.

You are craaaaazy. Though the N64 controller took some getting used to, it was pretty perfect for what it did. It was an evolutionary step on the way to the now-ubiquitous dual-thumbstick controllers.

And the GameCube controller might be my favorite ever. The second thumbstick was trash (and almost never used, really), and the z-button was a little clumsy, but as a whole it was just brilliant.

Sep 9, 2014, 16:16
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 16:16
Sep 9, 2014, 16:16

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:49:
Powerstone and Skies of Arcadia were my favs though there were several other good games on there. I hated the Dreamcast controller though.

I forgot about SoA. Yeah, the controllers are crap. I do like the VMU idea, but not its execution. The Gamecube's FF: Crystal Chronicles utilized the same idea but to a more comfortable degree. Of course, Nintendo's controllers have mostly been crap ever since they rocked it out with the SNES ones.

Sep 9, 2014, 16:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 16:05
Sep 9, 2014, 16:05

sauron wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 12:58:
I've always like Craig Ferguson - kind of a fun guy. First saw him on Drew Carey and thought he was really funny.

But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is Colbert on The Late Show. That's going to be a riot. Will either be a roaring success, or he'll get CBS sued by every major conservative, liberal and commercial organization in the country. I might even have to buy a TV.

Why would you need a TV when you have that giant eye in the sky thingie?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse.
Sep 9, 2014, 13:03
Stephen Hawking: Research on the ‘God particle’ could cause space-time to collapse. Sep 9, 2014, 13:03
Sep 9, 2014, 13:03

Hawkings own words by the way
A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth

And if he honestly said what rawstory.com quoted anywhere, then he should never again be a spokesperson for science. !

Why? Because 1: It's not called the god particle and secondly, 100bn GV is less than what a black hole produces per millisecond. And even if it were true, in the last 6 bn years or so you'd think someone would have tried to build such a collider already and we are still here... so yay? Bullshit story is bullshit.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2014, 13:11.

Sep 9, 2014, 12:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 12:58
Sep 9, 2014, 12:58

Kittens!

Sep 9, 2014, 11:49
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 11:49
Sep 9, 2014, 11:49

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 09:42:
Stephen Hawking wrote:
“The Higgs potential has the worrisome feature that it might become metastable at energies above 100bn gigaelectronvolts,” Hawking writes. “This could mean that the universe could undergo catastrophic vacuum decay, with a bubble of the true vacuum expanding at the speed of light.”
Sounds like the kind of gibberish used to set up the plot of a cheesy disaster movie. But at least he goes on to say:

Stephen Hawking wrote:
“A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth, and is unlikely to be funded in the present economic climate,”

I recommend reading some of Stephen's other works before jumping to conclusions. This is just his sense of humor.

As for the article itself, it clearly states these quotes are from the preface to a book. The (original, Sunday Times) article author read the preface and thought to make a story, so blame him for it if you want to blame anyone.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2014, 11:56.

Sep 9, 2014, 11:00
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 11:00
Sep 9, 2014, 11:00

Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:26:
Hell, all physicists seem so frickin' out-of-this-world smart that I couldn't possibly rank them - hell, I can't even understand what the hell they're saying most of the time.

Yeah, you think you're pretty smart - and we are compared to most of the mouth breathers out there - but then you meet guys like this. A pal o' mine has his doctorate in physics. I still recall when he was writing his dissertation in my bar. I'd look at parts of it and it was no different than looking at a foreign language. You might be able to pick out a piece here or there but the rest of if just went right over your head. Then he'd explain it and you'd still go, 'Ruh?'
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Sep 9, 2014, 10:49
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 10:49
Sep 9, 2014, 10:49

Hyatus wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:32:
I'm moving in the next few weeks and I just found and played my Dreamcast for a few hours with my oldest(7 year old) a couple of days ago. I wish the Powerstone series would have taken off. They were a blast to play.

Sep 9, 2014, 10:41
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 10:41
Sep 9, 2014, 10:41
nin

Hyatus wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:32:
I'm moving in the next few weeks and I just found and played my Dreamcast for a few hours with my oldest(7 year old) a couple of days ago. I wish the Powerstone series would have taken off. They were a blast to play.

Funny you mention the Dreamcast, just saw this earlier.

Great system that never really got it's due...I remember walking into best buy on launch day, seeing Soul Calibur running on it, and my wallet just fell open and the cash flew out.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older