Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Interviews

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 9, 2014, 01:43 Steele Johnson

Apparently, Romero never played Borderlands.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 22:30 Beamer

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 18:31:
This guy's nothing but a lot of hot air. I remember back before Quake came out, he was talking about how it would be this huge, amazing thing, where you'd be a guy with an axe, and you could tumble and roll, and it would be in this huge open world with life all around you, and you could craft things and whatnot.

Basically, it was all this insane hype and everyone got all stirred up about it, and really, what ended up coming to us was a glorified tech demo. It wasn't a bad game, but it was missing almost everything that Romero pumped us up for it to be.

He needs to keep his overly ambitious mouth shut, because nobody's listening anymore.

Typically, Carmack is blamed for Quake being so scaled down. Word is he was way behind on engine work because he wouldn't let anyone help him.
Anecdotally.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 22:16 Bumpy

Jeez, such a hateful group in here. Lay off the guy, he has way more talent than most.  

7. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 21:44 Prez

Romero is such an eminently unlikeable guy it's easy to forget he developed some of the best FPS levels in gaming history.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 20:51 WaltC

Who could forget the eminently forgettable "suck it down" ad campaign about a game of villainous frogs descending like a Biblical plague on a runt and his Wacky-Doodle-Do sword...? (Me, for one.) Ugh.  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

5. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 18:54 Flatline

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 18:31:
This guy's nothing but a lot of hot air. I remember back before Quake came out, he was talking about how it would be this huge, amazing thing, where you'd be a guy with an axe, and you could tumble and roll, and it would be in this huge open world with life all around you, and you could craft things and whatnot.

Basically, it was all this insane hype and everyone got all stirred up about it, and really, what ended up coming to us was a glorified tech demo. It wasn't a bad game, but it was missing almost everything that Romero pumped us up for it to be.

He needs to keep his overly ambitious mouth shut, because nobody's listening anymore.

I still have a magazine that has one of the first sneak previews of Quake in it. Id stated they were aiming at the 486 as their "sweet spot" system.

Heh. Heh.

Edit: Also, Romero is a dipshit. He talks about MMO shooters like they're a new thing he's just starting to visualize. But they're not. Planetside 1 & 2, Tabula Rasa both jump out at me on first thought.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 18:31 ForgedReality

3. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 15:58 SlimRam

No mechanical frogs = No purchase  

2. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 15:22 DangerDog

He says a whole lot of nothing about something.  

1. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 14:15 ldonyo

Way too many Daikatana jokes involving game design to pick just one as a comment for the Romero fluff piece.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo