28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Morning Consolidation
Sep 9, 2014, 11:26
Beamer

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 11:26
Sep 9, 2014, 11:26
 Beamer

While everyone is playing this tonight, I decided to download Warface on the 360.

I'm assuming I'll be the only person in it. Probably just time to download this instead.

Sep 9, 2014, 10:37
Slick

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 10:37
Sep 9, 2014, 10:37
 Slick

Numinar wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 03:45:
All marketing a previews make it look like junk, it's not. Feels like a Blizzard game with Bungie attitude. Would have taken the day off to play but too much going on.

yeah, the marketing (other than the live-action trailer) has made the game look bad, i mean really bad. i laughed out loud at sony's e3 conferencethis year when they started with some shitty ass looking horribly animated puke-textured 2005-looking game... turns out it was Destiny.

been playing for 7 hours, the game looks really good for a console game. the 30 FPS makes my blood boil though. fucking cavemen working at these companies.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Sep 9, 2014, 08:35
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 08:35
Sep 9, 2014, 08:35

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 08:28:
All of that sounds good. The beta was what sold me on it, so that's good to hear. My copy is out for delivery...long day at the office.

same here
Steam: SpectralMeat

Sep 9, 2014, 08:28
nin

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 08:28
Sep 9, 2014, 08:28
 nin

Numinar wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 03:45:
Game is great. Biggest problem I had in Alpha/Beta was the shallow busy work in explore mode, but the bounties help give you a goal when doing it and a natural place to stop. Played story missions on Hard up to level 5, seems like the biggest improvements since Beta is that subtle difficulty/AI tuning that other devs don't seem to bother with.

Strike was rough, but in a good way. I think my team mates may not have been alpha/beta vets so we had to restart a checkpoint a lot, but it was fun compensating for them and watching them work it out.

Still nothing like a Halo 1 Elite dual in Legendary yet, but there is still plenty of game left.

Destiny's biggest problem is expectations, which is a communication issue due to incompetence or intentionally misleading marketing so they can sell the game to people who shouldn't get it, although it's very accessible and should have broad appeal. If you didn't like the Beta thats probably a good indicator it's not for you and it was a very easy Beta to get into so that probably makes up for any shenanigans in that dept.

Also all marketing a previews make it look like junk, it's not. Feels like a Blizzard game with Bungie attitude. Would have taken the day off to play but too much going on.

All of that sounds good. The beta was what sold me on it, so that's good to hear. My copy is out for delivery...long day at the office.

Sep 9, 2014, 03:45
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 03:45
Sep 9, 2014, 03:45

Game is great. Biggest problem I had in Alpha/Beta was the shallow busy work in explore mode, but the bounties help give you a goal when doing it and a natural place to stop. Played story missions on Hard up to level 5, seems like the biggest improvements since Beta is that subtle difficulty/AI tuning that other devs don't seem to bother with.

Strike was rough, but in a good way. I think my team mates may not have been alpha/beta vets so we had to restart a checkpoint a lot, but it was fun compensating for them and watching them work it out.

Still nothing like a Halo 1 Elite dual in Legendary yet, but there is still plenty of game left.

Destiny's biggest problem is expectations, which is a communication issue due to incompetence or intentionally misleading marketing so they can sell the game to people who shouldn't get it, although it's very accessible and should have broad appeal. If you didn't like the Beta thats probably a good indicator it's not for you and it was a very easy Beta to get into so that probably makes up for any shenanigans in that dept.

Also all marketing a previews make it look like junk, it's not. Feels like a Blizzard game with Bungie attitude. Would have taken the day off to play but too much going on.

Sep 9, 2014, 03:07
Prez

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 03:07
Sep 9, 2014, 03:07
 Prez

Graham wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 01:34:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 21:58:
Bungie Warns Destiny Day-One Reviews Might Not Tell the Whole Story.

Why not? As long as the review copies go out early enough and the reviewers spend enough time with the game to see all the content, they are as useful as any review. If the game is buggy and crashes a lot at release, that's not the reviewer's fault - ship a working product and it's a moot point. Easier said than done I know.

Because much of the game revolved around drop-in drop-out proximity co-op along with dynamic events that benefit from more players playing. From what I've seen of the reviewers streaming so far, they've got tunnel vision are are playing it like a single player game, much to the detriment of their own enjoyment and far different from how I played the Alpha.

You're really not grasping what Bungie has tried to create here. I'm not making the case for whether it's a good or bad game, but I can tell you from your comment that you've got the same blinders on as some of the reviewers right now.

Well if I had blinders on it is only because I hadn't been following the game much. Your explanation in bold has helped. Thanks!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 9, 2014, 01:34
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2014, 01:34
Sep 9, 2014, 01:34

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 21:58:

Why not? As long as the review copies go out early enough and the reviewers spend enough time with the game to see all the content, they are as useful as any review. If the game is buggy and crashes a lot at release, that's not the reviewer's fault - ship a working product and it's a moot point. Easier said than done I know.

Because much of the game revolved around drop-in drop-out proximity co-op along with dynamic events that benefit from more players playing. From what I've seen of the reviewers streaming so far, they've got tunnel vision are are playing it like a single player game, much to the detriment of their own enjoyment and far different from how I played the Alpha.

You're really not grasping what Bungie has tried to create here. I'm not making the case for whether it's a good or bad game, but I can tell you from your comment that you've got the same blinders on as some of the reviewers right now.

Sep 8, 2014, 21:58
Prez

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 21:58
Sep 8, 2014, 21:58
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 8, 2014, 19:34
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 19:34
Sep 8, 2014, 19:34

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:51:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:35:
Another "next gen" game gimped by last gen game development on xbox360 and ps3.
You mean another game subsidized by the huge install base of Xbox 360 and PS3, right? Why spend the cost of development on the small install base of X1 and PS4?

Didnt they spend over 300mil or something - prolly at least half of that was spent on marketing tho. There is no way they'd recoup thier costs with only ~15 mil current gen consoles out there.

Sep 8, 2014, 17:23
KTR
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 17:23
Sep 8, 2014, 17:23
KTR

You mean another game destined to sell DLC and season passes?

Sep 8, 2014, 16:51
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 16:51
Sep 8, 2014, 16:51

You mean another game subsidized by the huge install base of Xbox 360 and PS3, right? Why spend the cost of development on the small install base of X1 and PS4?

Sep 8, 2014, 16:35
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 16:35
Sep 8, 2014, 16:35

Sep 8, 2014, 14:23
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 14:23
Sep 8, 2014, 14:23

NeOCidE wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:17:
In fairness to Bungie the servers held up very well in the beta. They've done a fantastic job.
Yeah but who knows how many people will play the game when it comes out vs how many was in the beta.
It's almost guaranteed the 1st day will be a shit show servers down etc.
Hope to be proven wrong though
Steam: SpectralMeat

Sep 8, 2014, 14:17
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 14:17
Sep 8, 2014, 14:17

PropheT wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:59:
I'm excited as hell for Destiny (although maybe not enough to play at 2am here later), and I'd never even really be considering it if it wasn't for the beta event they did.

For people who don't understand the draw of it, it has PvP multiplayer akin to Halo while having a co-op/single player story experience you can play. My favorite part is the open-world, throw you into the zone and let you explore portion of the game; it's very Fallout-esque to me, with a side of Metro thrown in. You really don't know if there's going to be a treasure box in that dark room around the corner or something gigantic that'll eat you since it's not necessarily just safe for all levels everywhere.

It's polished, atmospheric, and plays really well. I just hope the servers can handle the influx of people as it comes up :p

In fairness to Bungie the servers held up very well in the beta. They've done a fantastic job. I'm holding out for prices to drop since it's £60 here in UK around $100 which is a piss take.
Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

Sep 8, 2014, 13:59
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 13:59
Sep 8, 2014, 13:59

I'm excited as hell for Destiny (although maybe not enough to play at 2am here later), and I'd never even really be considering it if it wasn't for the beta event they did.

For people who don't understand the draw of it, it has PvP multiplayer akin to Halo while having a co-op/single player story experience you can play. My favorite part is the open-world, throw you into the zone and let you explore portion of the game; it's very Fallout-esque to me, with a side of Metro thrown in. You really don't know if there's going to be a treasure box in that dark room around the corner or something gigantic that'll eat you since it's not necessarily just safe for all levels everywhere.

It's polished, atmospheric, and plays really well. I just hope the servers can handle the influx of people as it comes up :p

Sep 8, 2014, 13:29
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 13:29
Sep 8, 2014, 13:29

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 10:36:
They will be consolidating destiny servers within 6 months.

DOOM ON YOU! DOOM ON YOU!

Nothing like a little optimism is there?
Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

Sep 8, 2014, 13:17
nin

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 13:17
Sep 8, 2014, 13:17
 nin

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:14:
Watching the videos, the game looked boring, uninspired, and derivative. However, since so many people are buying it, I hope that it's good and they enjoy it.

I hope it's good as well. I won't be raiding, but I look forward to exploring and strikes...

Sep 8, 2014, 13:14
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 13:14
Sep 8, 2014, 13:14

Watching the videos, the game looked boring, uninspired, and derivative. However, since so many people are buying it, I hope that it's good and they enjoy it.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 8, 2014, 11:56
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 11:56
Sep 8, 2014, 11:56

i agree, i've been a long time advocate of low level caps in online games because as they say, the real game doesn't even start until you hit the level cap. that's been true since WOW, and maybe before, and a 3 month (if you were hardcore like i was) training wheel slog to level 60 was no way to experience the real game. if the meat of the game is the end level content, then i've never seen the point in wasting time and resources making leveling content that most people would play once and then never see again.

i love the idea that they'll have a few training wheels areas, but most of the game will be level cap content; that's the way these games should've been made years ago.

Sep 8, 2014, 11:38
Jivaro

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 11:38
Sep 8, 2014, 11:38
 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 09:59:
"Destiny "really begins" at the level cap of 20," - Ah yes another our game starts at the end.

While your point is a good one generally speaking, I don't think this particular game is guilty of that particular development trend. What I mean is that getting to level 20 is probably better compared to going through a 20 level tutorial rather than going through the meat of the game. In beta I came away feeling like hitting 20, despite being the highest "level" you could achieve, was more akin to hitting 20 in WoW or Conan Online. About the time you hit 20 is about the time you really start to get your feet under you.

My opinion of course...and a biased one at that since I think Destiny is a great game overall. If I had the time to play it right now I would be buying it tomorrow.
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older