Open Letter to the Gaming Community

An Open letter to the gaming community on Medium addresses the current hot topic of gaming criticism and developer harassment, currently supported by almost 2000 game developer and player "signatures" collected via Twitter. Here's the body of the letter:
We believe that everyone, no matter what gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religion has the right to play games, criticize games and make games without getting harassed or threatened. It is the diversity of our community that allows games to flourish.

If you see threats of violence or harm in comments on Steam, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook or reddit, please take a minute to report them on the respective sites.

If you see hateful, harassing speech, take a public stand against it and make the gaming community a more enjoyable space to be in.

Thank you
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community
Sep 2, 2014, 09:55
PHJF

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 09:55
Sep 2, 2014, 09:55
 PHJF

Stop your fucking bitching, this is the fucking internet. Politically Correct exists on an admin-by-admin basis, and you've no right or reason to expect succor from ANYONE.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 2, 2014, 10:03
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 10:03
Sep 2, 2014, 10:03

Its not a bad statement, there is no real reason why anyone should resort to rascist bigotry. Hate speech is a crime where Im from, so why should it go unpunished?

Although considering the fact that most forum admins behave like fascist pigs with delusions of grandeur (thats what you get when you hire people for free) I find the irony very slightly sweet tasting.
I have a nifty blue line!

Sep 2, 2014, 10:06
Verno

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 10:06
Sep 2, 2014, 10:06
 Verno

PHJF wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 09:55:
Stop your fucking bitching, this is the fucking internet. Politically Correct exists on an admin-by-admin basis, and you've no right or reason to expect succor from ANYONE.

Yep. I suspect harassment will constitute anything negative that the other party doesn't like.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Sep 2, 2014, 11:02
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:02
Sep 2, 2014, 11:02

Asking the internet not to make death threats and racial,homophobic or sexist slurs, is a bit of a tall order, but good luck.

Sep 2, 2014, 11:07
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:07
Sep 2, 2014, 11:07

This is exactly the response I was expecting... "How fucking dare you expect people to behave respectfully on the internet! Why don't you go fuck yourself!"

In my opinion the community would be a much better place without the threats of violence, harm, hateful, and harassing speech. I'm not sure what reason there is to get so irate about people taking a stand against it.

Sep 2, 2014, 11:10
Verno

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:10
Sep 2, 2014, 11:10
 Verno

After all we did such a good job eliminating it from narrower sources, let alone the internet.

Take a stand everyone, take a stand on taking a stand too while you're at it Bulb

Sep 2, 2014, 11:12
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:12
Sep 2, 2014, 11:12

I don't approve of threats, but I am enjoying watching these gaming "journalists" and developers getting their dirty laundry aired in public.

Sep 2, 2014, 11:47
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:47
Sep 2, 2014, 11:47

"Open drama queen bullshit message to all the fuckers out there that we depend on"

Sep 2, 2014, 11:49
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:49
Sep 2, 2014, 11:49

Desalus wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:07:
In my opinion the community would be a much better place without the threats of violence, harm, hateful, and harassing speech. I'm not sure what reason there is to get so irate about people taking a stand against it.

Open letter is not equal to "taking a stand"

Aside that I agree But it's the Internet. Nobody is gonna change it, not even feminists.

Sep 2, 2014, 12:08
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 12:08
Sep 2, 2014, 12:08

Open Letter = Look at Me!

Sep 2, 2014, 12:33
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 12:33
Sep 2, 2014, 12:33

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:10:
After all we did such a good job eliminating it from narrower sources, let alone the internet.
Take a stand everyone, take a stand on taking a stand too while you're at it Bulb

In no way am I saying it's practical to eliminate it entirely. I just don't see a problem with people making an effort to reduce the undesirable behavior of the community.

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:49:
Open letter is not equal to "taking a stand"
Aside that I agree But it's the Internet. Nobody is gonna change it, not even feminists.

The open letter is asking the community to “take a public stand against it”, so I’m pretty sure that qualifies this open letter as ‘taking a stand’. But I'm curious...what in your mind would qualify as ‘taking a stand’?

Sep 2, 2014, 12:40
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 12:40
Sep 2, 2014, 12:40

Interesting attempt. So who do I report Kotaku to for their hateful harassing articles against male gamers? I would be all for this if it also had a section on that 'journalists' shouldn't provide positive press for sexual favors.

Sounds like a good idea but I don't see the SJWs following this.

Sep 2, 2014, 13:27
Quboid

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:27
Sep 2, 2014, 13:27
 Quboid

This sort of thing is just preaching to the choir and as Verno says, people will and have already jumped aboard with their own largely imaginary grievances.

Sep 2, 2014, 13:33
Prez

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:33
Sep 2, 2014, 13:33
 Prez

Jesus tap-dancing Christ do they ever stop whining?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 2, 2014, 13:36
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:36
Sep 2, 2014, 13:36

Quboid wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:27:
This sort of thing is just preaching to the choir and as Verno says, people will and have already jumped aboard with their own largely imaginary grievances.

I don't know.
This sort of thing seems like a "is this good enough?" It doesn't really take a stand on anything. It's 4 sentences that are vague. It isn't preaching to any choir, it's trying to say "look, we're doing something" without doing anything to make sure exactly no one is angry. It's phrased deliberately so that it's really hard to disagree with (though people are finding ways), yet not really saying anything and not really actionable (what the hell does "take a public stand" mean?) It holds absolutely none of the people signing it to any kind of standard or accountability.

It's fluff that says nothing, but I guess given that this is the gaming community, people still find "don't be racist" to be overly preachy.

Sep 2, 2014, 13:43
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:43
Sep 2, 2014, 13:43

This is exactly the response I was expecting... "How fucking dare you expect people to behave respectfully on the internet! Why don't you go fuck yourself!"

I believe it's because this person feels personally responsible for some of that anger and hate speech. I mean look at how he took this? Obviously it was directed toward people like him and he took offense.

Sep 2, 2014, 13:44
PHJF

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:44
 PHJF

The internet is not a community. The internet is a system of communities. If one doesn't like a community, one need only find another.

Hateful and harassing speech are a time-honored aspect of internet living and anybody shedding tears over it needs to grow up or go find a happy little bubble on some forgotten corner of the web to hide in. Sticks and stones may break bones but trolling is easy enough to ignore.

And as for threats of violence and harm, are you serious? As if there is a rash of instances of people enraging one another on forums, getting in their cars, finding and physically assaulting each other?

I'm not sure what reason there is to get so irate about people taking a stand against it.

Because they're idiots and may as well be taking a stand against grass being green.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Verno

Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:44
 Verno

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:33:
Jesus tap-dancing Christ do they ever stop whining?

Stop harassing them Prez, you're practically threatening their lives. They have a right to make you think and say whatever they want!

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 2, 2014, 13:46
Rigs

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2014, 13:46
Sep 2, 2014, 13:46
 Rigs

Whatever. This whole thing has become just...tiring. As in, 'I'm tired of fucking hearing it!'. Seriously, how many articles are going to be made about how 'girls aren't treated the same as guys', etc...we know. We heard. Just because it's been 12 hours since the last article decrying sexist inequality doesn't mean we need another. Like, for instance, yesterday, I'm on Wikipedia and what do I see toward the bottom on the 'Did you know' section?

... that the developer Zoe Quinn considered delaying the Steam release of Depression Quest following the death of Robin Williams?

Seriously? Had the gaming journalism egosphere not taken a collective dump and then written about it last week, would that had been featured? I seriously doubt it. I'm not saying the point they're trying to make doesn't have value. I understand what the situation is and the reasons for it and that's the thing. I GET IT. Please stop trying to jam it into my brain through my ears with a cheap Q-tip....thank you.

=-Rigs-=
"...you're always 'Winner!' with BIG ****** RIGS!"-James Rolfe, 'AVGN'
"...for that, we salute you, you big glorious ****** RIGS!"-Matt McMuscles, 'Wha Happun?!'

Sep 2, 2014, 13:50
Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:50
Sep 2, 2014, 13:50

Pigeon wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:02:
Asking the internet not to make death threats and racial,homophobic or sexist slurs, is a bit of a tall order, but good luck.

Lol keyboard warriors would actually have to use logic to express their repressed angst..good luck with that. Why aim that at gamers, its a satiety/evolution issue. Hundreds of years after slavery and almost 50 years after MLKs assassination and society is still dealing with this issue. Give it another 200 years maybe at least if not more. (people that spread hate and intolerance do reproduce so it will take a very very long time.
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer