Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Activision Taking Take-Two?

Investors.com hashes out the possibility that Activision is looking to acquire Take-Two Interactive, one of the many reports that stem from a research note from Benchmark analyst Mike Hickey on Friday describing "an emerging romance" between the two companies. This nauseous image is said to be based on both company's ambitions to create Hollywood movies based on their games. They quote the Hickey analysis as advising: "For Activision, acquiring Take-Two Interactive would be a no-brainer, in our view, circling some of the strongest development talent and owned IP in the world, within a company that has nearly $1 billion in cash and trades at a comparably lower multiple." Thanks nin via Polygon.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 10:21 Redmask

This seems about as likely as the GTA V PC being cancelled rumor, which is to say not likely at all.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 09:08 commonperson

I hope people recognize this is not actually happening nor is it likely to happen. This is a single note on a research brief from an investment analyst. Basically he's laying out the potential opportunities for growth and setting out what the outcome would be. Essentially he's saying "if this was to go down it'd be a good idea to buy buy buy". This is why much of the "gaming" community can't hold a grown up discussion they see a passing note in an investment analysis and freak the fuck out like it's a done deal ignoring the fact that 2K have resisted offers from nearly as large fish before.

This is not a big company with its sites set on a little company this is two great big companies on equal footing and some one vaguely mentioning "yeah they'd go good together" like making up fantasy romances between Hollywood stars like "oh wouldn't George Clooney look so good as Julia Roberts' boy friend". People need to think about how the real world works before they over react (not so much talking about here but in general the comments in some places are just freaking insane).

Oh and Slick 100% agree with you on all but one point, you said that people don't care about the budget woes of Hollywood films, people are just as obsessive about that stuff as they are about video games. Every industry has it's inside baseball obsessives just gamers are insanely over the top about it.

23. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 03:47 Slick

headshot wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 03:17:
well, since publishers began to interfere with game design, deadlines and trying to eat the largest piece of the cake.

you can see a good game in the first glimpses and previews and watch in horror as the publisher demands cuts here and there and wants as much accessibility as possible while still hyping a new and innovative game. and the games have to be sureshots.

i would like to judge a game on its own merits. but you have to turn to indie devs than to the big players if you want quality and more distance to the bean counters.

heh, imagine a black metal band signing on to virgin. that'd be rich.

you're dreaming if you think that this is selective only to videogames. you think that movies don't have a strict budget? a lengthy notes process from the producers? tons of editing and "fine-tuning" to make a marketable product? you think that books don't go through many revisions to get exactly what the publisher wants to sell?

there are all realities of the entertainment industry at large. and yes. i'm not defending these practices at all.

all i'm saying is that the only scene that gives a fuck about publishers is gamers. and being the dorito-freebasing mountaindew-huffing kids that they are, they take caring about publishers to the EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME. until pretty soon, no one is even talking about the game anymore. somehow the publisher is more important.

judge the game on the game. if it sucks then say why it sucks (*hint EA, Activision), if it's good say it's good (*hint Valve, Blizzard). nobody cares bout the production woes of a major hollywood film, they just care about the end product. rate the art based on it's own merits FIRST. btw those comments in parentheses were jokes, i should hope that much is obvious.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 03:56.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

22. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 03:33 InBlack

EricFate wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 17:41:
Given their track record over the past decade, I seriously doubt that ANYONE would willingly choose to be acquired by Activision.

From a business perspective Activision would stand a lot to gain. Look how they profited by merging with Blizzard! I hate to be the devil's advocat in this case, but it doesnt seem that unlikely.

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 03:17 headshot

well, since publishers began to interfere with game design, deadlines and trying to eat the largest piece of the cake.

you can see a good game in the first glimpses and previews and watch in horror as the publisher demands cuts here and there and wants as much accessibility as possible while still hyping a new and innovative game. and the games have to be sureshots.

i would like to judge a game on its own merits. but you have to turn to indie devs than to the big players if you want quality and more distance to the bean counters.

heh, imagine a black metal band signing on to virgin. that'd be rich.

20. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 23:41 Slick

KTR wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:49:
Take-Two is my only favorite among the big western publishers. Fuck EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.

Anyone else find it weird the way gamers obsess about publishers? any other industry even give 2 fucks about a publisher?

Yo dawg i got that next Penguin Books on lock, you know how we do! Penguin publishing in tha building y'all! Oh and FUCK Harper Collins and Random House and their punk ass shit. Everybody know that Harper Collins and Random house are some busted ass publishers.

how long has it been since a work of art is judged solely on it's own merits (or lack thereof) instead of being judged by it's publisher?

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

19. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 19:15 Squirmer

Pretty bizarre for a couple of major game publishers to join -- because they want to make movies.  

18. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 18:50 Cutter

This sounds like pure rumour to me. Take-Two is already bagging an easy billion a year with Rockstar alone, so selling out for that just ain't gonna' happen. They wouldn't sell for less than 10B and even Nodick doesn't have access to that sort of green.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

17. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 18:09 Prez

Oh God... PLEASE let this just be a rumor.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 17:41 EricFate

Given their track record over the past decade, I seriously doubt that ANYONE would willingly choose to be acquired by Activision.  

15. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 17:28 Acleacius

World would be a better place without activision and ea.  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 17:03 ASeven

Ugh. This only spells doom for all since the publisher market is slowly gearing towards a strong oligopoly/weak monopoly type of market.  

13. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 16:05 Kosumo

nin wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:11:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 12:58:
If Take Two told EA to fuck off, what makes you think Activision/Blizzard is in any way going to be able to buy them?

Not to mention Rockstar would become like Infinity Ward, leave and make a new company.

But if there is any truth to this, gamer's are fucked.

As a hardcore R* fan, it's incredibly scary...

sniff sniff Oh well, we will always have Vice City Puppyeyes

12. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 15:47 Rhett

Wow, this is just awful. A step just below Time Warner and Comcast merging. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen... One of the last bastions of good, quality non-shovelware games.  

11. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 15:23 Tumbler

I'm not surprised considering how successful gta V was. Now might be the best time to sell because it's anyone's guess how big a title GTA will be on the next gen systems. Who knows if call of duty will hold the top spot, it might but everything is up in the air.

Halo seemed to have the top spot for console shooters going into the 360/ps3 and COD4 was the beginning of the end for that dominance. It's still a successful franchise but everyone wants to be CoD.

Destiny could dethrone it, not in the first year or 2 but it's certainly got the hype necessary. CoD4 has amazing hype as well, it wasn't ready so soon during the console cycle but it will be interesting to see who takes the #1 console franchise spot.

I'm betting on madden! I here madden is really good again, definitely going to be madden. /s

10. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 14:58 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:56:
Once a publisher reaches a certain size, can we outlaw acquisitions for it? I hate this constant consolidation (of any industry, actually). I want Take Two to remain independent. I really don't want BL to become like CoD.

Here's an example of the telecom industry consolidation, which explains why we have such high prices and poor customer service compared to other countries. (there was an even better chart with even more companies, but I couldn't find it)

EDIT: Crap, meant to edit my comment not quote myself. Need. Moar. Koffee.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 14:56 jdreyer

Once a publisher reaches a certain size, can we outlaw acquisitions for it? I hate this constant consolidation (of any industry, actually). I want Take Two to remain independent. I really don't want BL to become like CoD.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 14:55 Techie714 ©

NOOO!!!!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 13:49 KTR

Take-Two is my only favorite among the big western publishers. Fuck EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.  

6. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 13:49 Kajetan

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 12:58:
But if there is any truth to this ...
Very unlikely. Sure, Activision has Teh Monies without end, but TakeTwo is finally making good money in the years without a GTA release. This would be some very expensive buy out. At the moment it does not make any sense at all for Activision to aquire TakeTwo. They already have several very successful franchises, with Destiny they start a risky new franchise.

I guess someone wanted to make a quick buck. Buying small amounts of TakeTwo stock for several months, hiring an analyst to "analyze" the market (or using his own company), waiting for the charts to go up, sell!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo