Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

RAYA Sound Engine

An article on the AGH University of Science and Technology website has details on the RAYA real-time sound engine for video games, which tackles audio reproduction with the type of ambition that is often reserved for improving game graphics. Word is: "All audio effects are computed based on the actual geometry of a given game level as well as its acoustic properties (acoustic materials, air attenuation). The sound changes dynamically along with movement of the game character and sound sources, so the listener can feel as if he was right there - in the game." They offer this video demonstrating how this works using Quake III Arena. Thanks Wookiestick.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 2, 2014, 09:45 PHJF

Bollocks, I'd rather have accurate audio than better visuals, especially since for the past years graphics have seen next to no new features added. What was the last big thing, tessellation?

This is absolutely necessary to making stuff like Rift truly revolutionary products. I want to be able to close my eyes in any given game and still feel IN THE GAME.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 20:56 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 19:04:
I think a lot people under estimate how important good audio is in games. Ever watched a deleted scene on a bonus DVD, how strange things sound without all of the enhancements, and music. It's not like graphics which are in your face obvious, sound is very subtle but just as important as graphics.

I have a high end 5.1 system, I do not under appreciate sound Now youtube is a bad place to demo this anyway.. but realistic is not always better. Especially in gaming.

4. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 19:16 Dmitri_M

The effect is too strong, but they might have done that to illustrate a point. It could probably be toned down.

Had this 16 years ago with my Diamond Monster Sound MX300 though.

Anyone remember how soundcard tech back then felt like it was advancing in parallel with 3d hardware acceleration? There were as many articles comparing A3D and EAX in Unreal Tournament as there were different graphics cards.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001204234900/http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/

In the last few years I've abandoned soundcards. External 24bit DAC + studio monitors. More interested in quality music than positional sound in games.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 19:25.

3. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 19:04 bigspender

They have another, and much better sounding example in their channel.

I guess the sound is horrible sounding in the Quake 3 demo, because of the acoustics in the level, its a rock based area so there is a lot of sound bouncing around.

Finally. I'm hoping new games won't have sounds that penetrate walls(as if no wall was there at all), but instead the sound will bounce and be only heard through the openings.

I think a lot people under estimate how important good audio is in games. Ever watched a deleted scene on a bonus DVD, how strange things sound without all of the enhancements, and music. It's not like graphics which are in your face obvious, sound is very subtle but just as important as graphics.

2. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 11:21 eRe4s3r

Ah.. now I can finally say..

Realistic? Yes.. even impressive in terms of tech...

But it sounds absefuckinglutely horrible!!! in that mp example

So.. yay? Realistic sound that sounds like crap, or wrong sound that sounds awesome? I know what I'd pick....

1. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 10:59  Blue 

Apologies for the inability to comment on this story when it was originally posted... I made a formatting error.  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo