Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support

The NVIDIA Blog announces new hardware support for Steam in-home streaming using NVIDIA hardware (thanks HARDOCP). Here's how this works:

Valve and NVIDIA have just made game streaming better than ever.

Last week, Valve officially released support for hardware encoding on NVIDIA GeForce GPUs in the Steam client. Pair this support with one of our latest GeForce GTX GPUs and you can play remotely from your PC connected to any Steam-enabled system in your home at resolutions up to 1080p at 60 fps.

“We’ve worked closely with NVIDIA to support hardware encoding on GeForce cards with our Steam In-Home Streaming technology, and the result is nothing short of amazing,” said Sam Lantinga, at Valve.

At NVIDIA, we’re all about great gaming experiences. Our goal for game streaming is no different: customers should be able to enjoy the same high-resolution graphics and split-second responsiveness on a remote system as they would directly on a PC.

Our dedicated hardware encoder rapidly encodes each frame with the best required image quality, while keeping lag to a bare minimum. It does all this while providing amazing graphics performance and leaving the CPU available for even the most demanding games.

The result: a great game streaming experience in any room of your house.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 29, 2014, 09:19 justice7

Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 04:50:
was not getting 60 FPS with my 280x, so i'm pretty sure nvidia is ust utilizing their shadowplay feature to just encode straight away instead of record to memory.

880's can't get here soon enough... but the question is.. get a 28nm version? or wait for the die shrink?

I recently picked up a 780 GTX... the 780 has the hardware keplar decoder.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 29, 2014, 08:59 Dagnamit

I stream games to a Bay Trail tablet running Win 8.1, over a dodgy 300mb/s dual band 802.11n connection and the only problem is with the decoding capabilities of the SoC. That only affects maybe one second a minute of gameplay. It works quite fantastically. If only there were a touch controller overlay that worked with streaming, it would be boss as all hell.

The best thing about steam streaming is that you can add non-steam games to your library (WoW, D3, etc...) and it will run in streaming mode. There's some tweaking usually, but nothing to awful. Love it.

5. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 29, 2014, 08:19 timesten

I have a shield tablet and their native streaming doesn't work with my gtx 570. I did not realize this when I got the tablet. I do plan on getting an 800 series card, but ive been planning on that for a year now ;).

That said, nvidia's grid service is very cool. I was playing street fighter 4 streamed to the tablet from across the country. it looked great and was "unplayable", probably 600ms lag, but I played it anyway.

4. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 29, 2014, 04:50 Slick

was not getting 60 FPS with my 280x, so i'm pretty sure nvidia is ust utilizing their shadowplay feature to just encode straight away instead of record to memory.

880's can't get here soon enough... but the question is.. get a 28nm version? or wait for the die shrink?

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

3. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 28, 2014, 21:46 Parallax Abstraction

This is really cool. I really wish Steam would add 5.1 audio support to streaming though. That's the only thing preventing me from using it more often.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

2. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 28, 2014, 19:15 Tim Collins

Nifty  

1. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 28, 2014, 18:42 Creston

Apparently the streaming works pretty well with Nvidia's new 8 inch tablet (which you can simply connect to your TV again if you so desired.)

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo