Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players

An update on the Quake Live website describes plans to change id Software's online shooter as they prepare to release it on Steam. The goal is to make Quake Live more accessible to new players, which is an interesting approach to this version of Quake III Arena, an almost 15 year-old first-person shooter that has always catered to an extremely hardcore audience. For those who have never stopped improving at the game since 1999 (and if you've played, you know they're out there), the original game mechanics will be preserved in a "Classic Duel" mode. Here's word on this attempt to improve the game's mass appeal:
These new changes have been encapsulated within the default Quake Live ruleset:

New Quake Live Ruleset

• Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
  • Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
  • Introduced Loadouts in select modes; allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (sg, gl, pg, mg).
  • Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons. Defaults to "f" for new users.
  • Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all game modes.
  • Unified friendly fire, disabled across all game modes.
  • Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
  • Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit.
  • Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
  • Added Power-up Spawn POIs, that appear 10 seconds before a power-up spawns.
  • Added Power-up POIs, that indicate when an available power-up is available in the arena.

For players who wish to largely avoid the new major changes, the legacy style of play has been preserved within a "Classic" ruleset. All of our public Duel servers run in Classic mode. Subscribers may host additional classic servers using our "Create Match" feature. This includes the launching of Standard Classic servers, which any player may freely join.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 13:48 Beamer

4D-Boxing wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 13:42:
Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:13:
garrywong wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 09:57:
Ok this is stupid. Haven't they considered what this is going to do to the pro scene? Yeah ok, you can play with a "classic" ruleset that doesn't change any of this, but now you are going to have a divided community. Them noobs that don't learn anything because they are playing on ezmode, and the hardcore pro scene.

Usually changes like this are last-ditch efforts to court new users to avoid shutting down. If that's the case, then they don't care about the "pro scene," because they were going to lose the game, anyway.

Prob a knee jerk reaction to how gamers rushed to download the UT4 pre alpha.

With regards to bunny hoping. It only helped when a sniper spent his time in one spot waiting for easy frags. Putting a stamina limit would reduce its use if combined with a sprint button. I would even crank up the base movement speed (love those crazy dm/ffa cod4 speed servers like broadcast k3 one).

p.s. Yes, i know what k3 tried to do with the acronym, not a member

Nah, UT4 hasn't been out long enough for them to identify that and do this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 13:42 4D-Boxing

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:13:
Ok this is stupid. Haven't they considered what this is going to do to the pro scene? Yeah ok, you can play with a "classic" ruleset that doesn't change any of this, but now you are going to have a divided community. Them noobs that don't learn anything because they are playing on ezmode, and the hardcore pro scene.

Usually changes like this are last-ditch efforts to court new users to avoid shutting down. If that's the case, then they don't care about the "pro scene," because they were going to lose the game, anyway.

Prob a knee jerk reaction to how gamers rushed to download the UT4 pre alpha.

With regards to bunny hoping. It only helped when a sniper spent his time in one spot waiting for easy frags. Putting a stamina limit would reduce its use if combined with a sprint button. I would even crank up the base movement speed (love those crazy dm/ffa cod4 speed servers like broadcast k3 one).

p.s. Yes, i know what k3 tried to do with the acronym, not a member

18. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 13:24 pagb

All of our public Duel servers run in Classic mode.
Phew. Too bad I still enjoyed FFA

17. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 13:22 pagb

djinn wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:52:
KS wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:07:
They should have gotten rid of bunny hopping and just set the max speed to that.

It was a trick taking advantage of poor code that made some kind of angle running/jumping faster than straight line (IIRC). In any case, it should never have existed and is just a grotesque irritation with no real gameplay value aside from the speed.

Hup hup hup hup hup hup everwhar hup hup hup hup hup.

While it might be annoying to some, it became a part of the skill based gameplay. This one of the reasons why the game lasted for so long. The pure mechanics in it haven't changed and could be relied upon all this time.
It's still an exploit to get more than 100% run speed, not a "game feature" or "game rule".

That's why I loved Painkiller's bunnyhop, you could do it easily BUT still needed proper timing and skills to perform certain jumps.

The other changes are pure BS imho.

16. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:53 KTR

Nice...classic mode behind a pay wall. What are they snorting?  

15. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 Fletch

Play in "Classic Duel" or the new "Console Duel".  

14. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:24 Slick

yeah, this isn't going to affect the pro scene at all. this is about casual pugging. and have you noticed the shift in online FPS games in the last 15 years? yeah, maybe spawning with a gun in your hand will actually attract a larger player base. then you'll have more noobs to shoot at! crazyness!

man i remember that one time this game came out with a new game mode, travisty! it divided the community! nothing was ever the same! total chaos! dogs and cats living together!

if people want classic they'll choose classic. it's not rocket (jump) science. it's just like that bullshit lawsuit filed against microsoft because they bundled IE with windows. are people that inept that they can't figure out how to immediately download chrome, firefox, or fucking netscape navigator? if people want to play a mode, they're competant enough to click "MODE THAT I WANT".

why are all gamers now treated like a bunch of whiney toddlers who can't even make the smallest intelligent decision on their own... oh right... i forgot we've been proving that to them one day at a time.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

13. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:13 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:00 Creston

Making bunny hopping automatic is retarded. I have no problem with bunny hopping, but at least in the old fashion it's somewhat of a skill. Now it's just "hold forward and space."

I give this decision five dismissive bunny hops.

11. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 11:52 djinn

KS wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:07:
They should have gotten rid of bunny hopping and just set the max speed to that.

It was a trick taking advantage of poor code that made some kind of angle running/jumping faster than straight line (IIRC). In any case, it should never have existed and is just a grotesque irritation with no real gameplay value aside from the speed.

While it might be annoying to some, it became a part of the skill based gameplay. This one of the reasons why the game lasted for so long. The pure mechanics in it haven't changed and could be relied upon all this time.

While QL is a slightly modified rule set of Q3 the main components remain intact. If they start changing some of the larger things for "growth", they might turn away the very customers that keep them operating.

10. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 11:07 KS

9. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:51 Theo

The "pro Sceane" uses the 1 V 1 Dual gametype.

These changes have not effected that game type (at least with regards to the loadout setup); With regards to the strafe Jumping (hold Jump and forward change), that is still slower/less controll than well executed manual strafe jumps.

The effected games types are, FFA, TDM and CTF with regards to the weapon loadouts, and lets face it; those are not the game types the pro seane plays.

I played the changes this morning, i actually didnt mind the loadouts for the casual modes at all, better spawning with a few decent weapons and setting off with some teeth than spawning and getting insta-gibbed by the dude controling the BFG (all though i concede the games escalate a few moments quicker than they did previously).

With regards to item timers in game, it still rewards people who know proper spawn times; but helps those that don't. I don't think this is as bad as all the neckbeards are saying; and ive been playing quake since day1.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

8. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:19 MDB

Might as well just tell people to play Shootmania...

None of this solves the actual issue which is that the people who play it (Quake) have 15 years of experience behind them and will pretty much mop the floor with anyone who doesn't.

7. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 Verno

Well I can't complain too much because I don't really play this anymore, I guess its a sign of the times.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

6. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 Dmitri_M

Haha, really? Those first two changes are embarrassing.

I bet the only people playing this regularly were old Quake players. They must be fuming.

5. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:09 InBlack

Havent played this in ages. Still, why not make this an optional mode instead of the 'default' one. I imagine if you are a new player who only recently discovered Quake Live, having this mode isnt really going to make much difference in anyone's decision to stay or quit.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:01 MajorD

Sounds more like "PUSSIFYING" it! Lame!

Still counting...

3. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 10:00 Frijoles

Wow. Perhaps they should add auto-aiming as well.  

2. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 09:57 garrywong

1. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 09:48 djinn

More accessible? No.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >