Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games

One more tidbit from GOG.com, where they announce that they are holding a sale of up to 80% off on a selection of titles that will soon no longer be sold on the service:

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 19:40 Quboid

As Orogogus says, they charge what each market will bear according to their calculations. No market is propping up another, the point of regional pricing is so that products are priced in each market in such a way so as to maximise the profits from that market. They don't make a profit of $X, they make a profit of $X x Sales and if X = $60 in Russia, Sales = Sod All. If X = $15 in US, Sales = Big, but not 4 times as big as if X = $60.

Some of it seems scummy. Countries with roughly equivalent standards of living should have equivalent prices, so NA, western EU, Australia and such like should be priced equally IMHO. I think VAT (20%) is applied to purchases from GOG/Steam/etc which does legitimately push up UK prices compared to US ones and YMMV around the world but significantly different prices do make me feel gouged. Why is Elder Scrolls Online 27.65% cheaper in the US than the UK?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 18:11 Tom

Maybe you should try creating a software product and selling it around the world, since you obviously have it all figured out.  

18. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 17:47 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:11:
Is this something that you actually believe? Like, our prices are higher just so Russia/Ukraine can get lower prices? That seems extremely unlikely.

Microsoft has basically admitted that it charges more for Windows and Office in Western (ie, Rich) countries, so that they can offer it virtually for free in China and the like. There have been some indications in that direction for other software as well.

They (the price setters) claim they have to price it so low because of the rampant piracy, but that still seems a shitty reason for us to get higher prices. Because here's the thing, if you can sell the game for 15 bucks (equivalent) in Russia and still make a profit on it, why am I pay 60 fucking dollars? And why are people in Australia paying nearly 100? If you can make a profit on 15 bucks, why can't I buy a copy for 15 bucks?

It seems to me that publishers are in a no-win situation. If Russia gets an appropriate price one group bitches, and if not then the Russian consumers will just apply the same logic that Western consumers did for music -- the publisher doesn't care to offer goods at a reasonable price so it's inevitable that everyone will just pirate it.

And if that's how they treat it, I'll bitch at them for it. I'm not their fucking wallet.

17. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 17:11 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 14:36:
GOG is trying to get publishers to stop this asinine price difference bullshit, but they're small fry, so it's not as if it's having much success. They've said that if they can't get the price to be the same, they'll eat the difference themselves, which in the case of Australian prices may mean they take a pretty big loss on selling that game.

Obviously, since Russia is getting it so much cheaper than everyone else, GOG doesn't have to price match with the US price. And, of course, Witcher 3 is their own game, so they can sell it for whatever the hell they want to.

Ah, old games only. That's what I was missing.

Also, why does Russia get it so much cheaper than everyone else? Why, because the rest of us are funding their lower prices! Yay publishers!

Is this something that you actually believe? Like, our prices are higher just so Russia/Ukraine can get lower prices? That seems extremely unlikely. The point of regional pricing would be to charge the optimal point that the market will bear, and it's hard to imagine there's any kind of actual campaign to win the hearts and minds of the Russian consumer population at the cost of profits elsewhere.

It seems to me that publishers are in a no-win situation. If Russia gets an appropriate price one group bitches, and if not then the Russian consumers will just apply the same logic that Western consumers did for music -- the publisher doesn't care to offer goods at a reasonable price so it's inevitable that everyone will just pirate it.

16. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 15:25 jdreyer

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 09:03:
Crap... I completely missed out on the Gothic deals.

They're going on for the next 4 days.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 14:36 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 23:23:
Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary? If I go to steamprices.com, I see that Witcher 3 preorders are $60 US, 40 and 50. The UK & EU prices are apparently about 20% higher than the US, but okay, that might be within the plus/minus of currency fluctuations. But the Russian price is the equivalent of $17.45.

How does a stance against regional pricing translate into the ultra-low territories like Russia? It seems like they still get regional pricing.

GOG is trying to get publishers to stop this asinine price difference bullshit, but they're small fry, so it's not as if it's having much success. They've said that if they can't get the price to be the same, they'll eat the difference themselves, which in the case of Australian prices may mean they take a pretty big loss on selling that game.

Obviously, since Russia is getting it so much cheaper than everyone else, GOG doesn't have to price match with the US price. And, of course, Witcher 3 is their own game, so they can sell it for whatever the hell they want to.

Also, why does Russia get it so much cheaper than everyone else? Why, because the rest of us are funding their lower prices! Yay publishers!

14. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 14:31 Creston

walrus1 wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:04:
Anyone think GOG is making a piss poor decisions regarding their future? I mean movies sales and abandoning some classic games? If they give up game sales, which is where they appear to be headed, they won't last long.

If the publisher says "You can no longer sell my games", or "You can only sell my games under these conditions" that go against your own policies, as a digital store you have several options:

1) stop selling the games
2) continue selling the games without the condition and get sued out of business.

This isn't GOG going "well, let's stop selling these random 35 games!" This is just a publisher deciding to be even more moronic cunts than usual.

13. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 13:12 LurkerLito

Whiskers wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:47:
The publisher, Nordic, was demanding everyone use regional pricing, which goes against GOG's policy, so they decided to drop their games.

Actually it's not against GoG's policy, so much as GoG doesn't want regional pricing on the older catalog of games. GoG put in regional pricing for only the new releases of games depending on the requirements of the publisher IIRC.

12. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 10:07 nin

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 09:03:

$2.49 gonna break the bank for ya there?

11. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 09:03 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

10. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 08:44 DG

Orogogus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 23:23:
Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary?
It used to be common for a publisher to give a distributor a region and that distributor sets the price for that region. Distributors selling into each other's territories is verboten. So you had many publishers which could result in a a competitive market, but aha you only have a few distributors (which the publishers had good power over) in each region so this resulted in effective oligopoly, removing price competition and enabling regional price discrimination. This is hugely important in the game, movie and music business and was/is why they had/have a huge problem with selling downloads.

9. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 03:27 Kajetan

jimnms wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 03:19:
One thing I would like to know about GOG is who controls the price?
Who do you think? The distribution rights holder, the publisher and devs. Like Valve, GOG does only make price recommendations which the publisher may follow or not. Sales are only made with approval of the distribution rights holder.

And the Fallout Give Away simply was a "Fuck you, Bethesda!" of Herve Cain, the boss of Interplay, finally losing the Fallout licence to Bethesda after several years of legal struggle.

8. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 03:19 MeanJim

One thing I would like to know about GOG is who controls the price? I believe Steam lets publishers set prices now and control their own sales, but I get the feeling GOG is in control of the prices on their service. Back before the Fallout classics were removed, GOG gave them away for free, now these games are getting 80% off before being removed.  

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 23:23 Orogogus

Whiskers wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:47:
The publisher, Nordic, was demanding everyone use regional pricing, which goes against GOG's policy, so they decided to drop their games. Can't blame them for sticking to their policies and trying to keep games the same price across regions.

Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary? If I go to steamprices.com, I see that Witcher 3 preorders are $60 US, 40 and 50. The UK & EU prices are apparently about 20% higher than the US, but okay, that might be within the plus/minus of currency fluctuations. But the Russian price is the equivalent of $17.45.

How does a stance against regional pricing translate into the ultra-low territories like Russia? It seems like they still get regional pricing.

Also, Australia is apparently still getting jacked to the tune of 40%.

6. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 23:13 Leper

Anyone think GOG is making a piss poor decisions regarding their future? I mean movies sales and abandoning some classic games? If they give up game sales, which is where they appear to be headed, they won't last long.

Or they're trying to survive. They're probably not raking it in from the classic games.

5. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:50 Quboid

I agree it seems odd, leaving their roots behind. By the looks of it they have had some problem with Nordic Games, I checked about half the games at random and this name shows up every time.

Edit: Whiskers, master ninja.

4. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Most likely whatever license agreement they originally had for these mostly European games expired, and the parent companies have made it too expensive to renew, or they have collapsed and sold off the rights, or the rights are in limbo, etc. etc.

Similar to Steam dropping Deadpool and other games. Licensing mummery strikes again.

Also there appears to be some issue with some publishers regarding gog.com's new Regional pricing/local currency scheme.

*EDIT* As Whiskers says below.

On the plus side 5 days is a decent amount of time to pick through these titles if you don't already own what you want already.

3. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:47 Whiskers

The publisher, Nordic, was demanding everyone use regional pricing, which goes against GOG's policy, so they decided to drop their games. Can't blame them for sticking to their policies and trying to keep games the same price across regions.  

2. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:31 jdreyer

Yeah, weird that they're not offering those games anymore. I wonder what the reason is.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

1. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:04 walrus1

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2014, 21:12.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo