Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust

Boss Key Productions has sent out a first newsletter to those who have subscribed through their website (thanks Fly). Founder Cliff Bleszinski talks about launching a startup and gamer trust: "Although I'm fortunate enough to have made games for over 20 years and I had a good track record I truly feel like I'm starting over. From scratch. I need to re-earn the trust of as many gamers out there now that it's my baby, my studio, and my vision." He says they are up to 12 hires, and discusses the hiring process, and part of this reflects the approach to project Blue Streak, their debut game:
It's funny, looking at level design candidates, I can almost tell which ones I'm going to want to consider seriously by the thumbnails of their work and the design of their website. Clean Arena Shooter map lineage goes a long way, finding the spatial balance between tight corridors and open arena areas is an art form, be it in UT, Quake, TF2, or CS:GO. It's almost like I'm picking the "Ownage" back from the UT days, only this time we're offering full time employment!

After making console focused games for so long I can't describe how nice it feels to get back into a keyboard and mouse state of mind. The possibilities for aiming and movement are boiling out of my head, imagine what happens when someone plays with mobility in a PC FPS when they're inspired by 16 bit platformers, strafe jumping, and Tribes Skiiing, not to mention the possibilities with weapons!
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 11, 2014, 08:30 InBlack

Slick wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 20:17:
Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 19:00:
Fly wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 17:22:
That's my commentary, and if you think otherwise, gtfo of PC gaming.

Okay, cliffy.

ZING

I happen to totally agree with him, i guess i'm Cliffy too?

since when was stealing socially acceptable? the fuck? i mean, i do use torrentz if there's no demo or beta etc. but then i buy the game.

imo if they just brought back shareware we'd not only have better games, but happier consumers. killing shareware was one of the most anti-consumer moves in pc gaming history.

Wow Slick. Just Wow. Doge Wow. Hypocritical doublespeak shlock in the same post.

*claps enthusiastically*

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 11, 2014, 01:23 Fly

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 18:16:
Ah jeez..The guy had to take a break, who can blame him? So what, everyone does. If he made some comments regarding PC in the past, it's in the past and were taken out of context and thrown/blown/overgrown way out of proportion. Let it be, move forward.

The main problem with PC gaming is the a-hole torrent users who could give two shits about gaming. They corrode the soul of PC gaming, the communities, and everything in between by stealing the hard works of game designers and publishers. That's my commentary, and if you think otherwise, gtfo of PC gaming.

PC gaming is and always will be alive. Games coming soon for PC like GTA V, Red Dead Redemption?, Farcry 4, Alien Isolation, AC: Unity, Battlefront just to name a few, will prove it again and again. Look between the lines and not the propaganda negative drama, people. One thing is for certain, whatever they will be working on will shake the foundations which games like Quake and Unreal built. I just hope it's not a tablet game.

You first say that torrents are killing pc gaming, but then say pc gaming is alive and well...make up your mind! Are you posting as a CB shill?

Hell no. I just happen to like games made by EPIC and Co. So what? Wtf you calling me a Cliff shill? Because of a comment i said about game-stealing torrent users? Hmm..who's side are you on anyway, Mr. anti-government dude. Did you know..the REAL Batman isn't anti-government, he's anti-criminal. Food for thought for ya

PC gaming IS alive and well, but you see, there's a cancer that remains with the game-stealing torrent users. They are slowly being eradicated with the help of ISP's and some programs like Nvidia, Origin, and Steam, who know exactly what's on your PC btw..That's a good thing, right?! You didn't understand my comment fully if you are a true supporter of the PC gaming community. Cliff B. has nothing to do with it.

Wow..the same few people who played Unreal and Epic games all those years turning on ol' Cliff. The same few people who will be signing up for an Alpha or Beta invite..hypocrites! haha. Thought i would do something nice and relay some cool information (with permission from the studio btw). Never again, Blue..

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

19. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 10, 2014, 18:16 Retired

Ah jeez..The guy had to take a break, who can blame him? So what, everyone does. If he made some comments regarding PC in the past, it's in the past and were taken out of context and thrown/blown/overgrown way out of proportion. Let it be, move forward.

The main problem with PC gaming is the a-hole torrent users who could give two shits about gaming. They corrode the soul of PC gaming, the communities, and everything in between by stealing the hard works of game designers and publishers. That's my commentary, and if you think otherwise, gtfo of PC gaming.

PC gaming is and always will be alive. Games coming soon for PC like GTA V, Red Dead Redemption?, Farcry 4, Alien Isolation, AC: Unity, Battlefront just to name a few, will prove it again and again. Look between the lines and not the propaganda negative drama, people. One thing is for certain, whatever they will be working on will shake the foundations which games like Quake and Unreal built. I just hope it's not a tablet game.

You first say that torrents are killing pc gaming, but then say pc gaming is alive and well...make up your mind! Are you posting as a CB shill?

18. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 10, 2014, 01:14 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 20:17:

Actually, yes.

since when was stealing socially acceptable? the fuck? i mean, i do use torrentz if there's no demo or beta etc. but then i buy the game.
If you really believe stealing wasn't socially acceptable, you'd uninstall your torrent client, as you're supporting the torrenting infrastructure by using it, even if YOU actually buy the game (which I doubt you do in every single case).

imo if they just brought back shareware we'd not only have better games, but happier consumers. killing shareware was one of the most anti-consumer moves in pc gaming history.
Most games have demos, free weekends, etc. There's plenty of chance to try things out. And if you're an experienced gamer, you ought to be able to gauge a game from let's play vids.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

17. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 20:58 wtf_man

Haven't bought an Epic game since UT2003.

Other than the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament... I can't think of a game they made that was worth a shit.

So, regardless of Cliffy's douchebag PC comments from the past... he's got a lot more to prove than just changing his rhetoric.

/shrug

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

16. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 20:57 Fletch

Hey, Cliff... duh.  

15. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 20:17 Slick

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 19:00:

Okay, cliffy.

ZING

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

14. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 19:09 DangerDog

One thing is for certain, whatever they will be working on will shake the foundations which games like Quake and Unreal built. I just hope it's not a tablet game.

I somehow doubt it. People who really enjoyed Quake and Unreal went far beyond what the core games offered, they enjoyed the mods and free maps - or the ability to make said maps. Not to mention hosting their own servers.

13. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 19:00 Creston

Okay, cliffy.

12. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 18:41 Fantaz

no rocket jumping no care...  

11. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 17:22 Fly

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

10. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 16:09 [VG]Reagle

I thought this jerk said PC gaming was "dead"...

Re-earn our trust when he was the self declared head of the console movement and pretty much condemned all us players on the PC platform as pirates???

I don't think so....

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

9. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 16:03 Creston

The possibilities for aiming and movement are boiling out of my head, imagine what happens when someone plays with mobility in a PC FPS

Oh, you mean like we've been saying all along, when you were in your "FUCK THE PC GAMERS!" mode?

8. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 15:55 Cutter

Lots of people make schlock that makes them a lot of money. It's still schlock however. And not everyone's in it for the money. Some people have nobler aspirations. So yeah, I view Cliffy as I would any other gold-digger - with contempt. He's a self-deluded gold-digger IMO.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

7. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 15:30 DangerDog

Toxikk has stole his thunder, especially since it wont be free-to-fail. And if not that then I would expect the new Unreal Tournament to be a place where people looking for a twitch shooter to hang their that.

I would say he's about 20 years too late for reviving the arena shooter genre. I don't know why he's fawning over Tribes skiing, pretty sure I read an interview of him saying he hated the vertical gameplay of Starsiege Tribes.

6. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 15:17 LittleMe

Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 13:57:
Sweeney never abandoned PC, ue always supported it. And considering gears made them billionaires, it was a good business move.

PC gamers are often monstrously emotional and constantly feeling weird betrayal. I never get the "we made you and you abandoned us!" Argument. We hated cliff before that. Stop crying.

+1 this. I guess if I was in his position to personally make tens of millions (??) I'd probably develop for consoles too. We could just appreciate that he's coming back to PC and see what he does. No I'm not psyched, but I'll passively spectate. I like the vibe in the first paragraph quote blue posted where he talks about old school FPS map design as in Quake.

That said, I don't blame or fault many for being highly skeptical. I wouldn't be surprised if CB ended up sacrificing PC gameplay and quality to make it work on consoles. I'm not entitled but I control what I buy.

He has to actually *earn* trust. Talk is cheap as far as promising the PC players. That said, this sort of old school FPS hasn't seen a revival in demand unlike old school PC RPG's.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

5. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 14:26 Slick

yeah well, UE has some major issues on PC, considering half the games i played in the last decade are based on that engine.

how many times have you guy had to tweak the MaxSmoothFrames or whatever setting in the engine.conf? and oh wait, everything is laid bare you can change anything in there! so either you have the option to lock everything down so that no one can even make use of their 120 FPS monitor, or give them rudimentary access such a basic PC feature as not being hardcapped at 62 FPS, and then anyone can change any number of things if they're smart enough to give them a competitive advantage in MP.

why those things were in the same file i'll never know, and who knows if they've even changed it with UE4.

such a pain in the ass, EVERY, SINGLE, PC PORT

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

4. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 13:57 Beamer

WaltC wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 13:38:
Re-earn my trust? Heh...;) The guy lost that forever when he talked Sweeney into leaving the PC...the very platform that gave him his start. Like the poster before me, I think CliffyB is full of it...he's another "suck-it-down" John Romero sort of nincompoop...We don't need any more of that sort of thing...

We're watching the Peter-Principle at work--CliffyB's apex was with Epic but he hasn't realized it yet...it's all downhill for him now, most likely...The guy's a walking dictionary of cliches..."bitten of more than he can chew," and "disaster waiting to happen," etc.

Sweeney never abandoned PC, ue always supported it. And considering gears made them billionaires, it was a good business move.

PC gamers are often monstrously emotional and constantly feeling weird betrayal. I never get the "we made you and you abandoned us!" Argument. We hated cliff before that. Stop crying.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 13:38 WaltC

Re-earn my trust? Heh...;) The guy lost that forever when he talked Sweeney into leaving the PC...the very platform that gave him his start. Like the poster before me, I think CliffyB is full of it...he's another "suck-it-down" John Romero sort of nincompoop...We don't need any more of that sort of thing...

We're watching the Peter-Principle at work--CliffyB's apex was with Epic but he hasn't realized it yet...it's all downhill for him now, most likely...The guy's a walking dictionary of cliches..."bitten of more than he can chew," and "disaster waiting to happen," etc.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

2. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 12:57 Wallshadows

This guy has always been so full of shit and has had a complex ever since PC Gamer ran that article like 15 years ago about the next game gods.

Out of the list of eight they had, Ken Levine is the only one left who hasn't shit the bed.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >