Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I've noticed a disturbing trend lately of television commercials advertising gloves and wearable compression sleeves which conspicuously mention the presence of copper, either woven into the fabric or little copper studs sewn all over them. This is obviously an attempt to capitalize on the idea that copper has some sort of therapeutic benefit for arthritis sufferers, which I find troubling, since there is no science at all to support this theory. The thing is, they are sneaky about this, as they discuss the benefits of the warmth and compression of the fabric, and make no claims at all about the copper besides repeatedly mentioning its use. It bothers me that in this day and age we are essentially still allowing the modern-day version of snake oil salesmen taking advantage of people's suffering.

Snake Oil Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Robots Initiate Work Sequence.
Links: Marvel Screened Guardians of the Galaxy for the Co-Creator of Rocket. Sniff.
‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Easter Eggs, Trivia & References. Spoilers. Thanks nin.
6 High-Tech Movie Facilities That Make No Sense.
Story: Police Ask for Public’s Help in Identifying Owner of 150-Pound Tortoise. Master Splinter.
Science: Gluten Sensitivity And Study Replication. Old but interesting.
Media: Kids React to Typewriters.
This Clever Song Has Some Thoughts About Gender Roles In Country Music. Thanks ViperFour.
Follow-up: It doesn’t matter that your ice cream sandwich won’t melt. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
The Funnies: ITworld cartoons 2014: The year in geek humor.
View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2014, 18:56 Creston

BobBob wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 16:36:
"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

I'm gonna guess this quote was made before the advent of the video game industry.

Because a good game shits all over the best television.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2014, 16:36 BobBob

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_Speech

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 20:20 SlimRam

Blue wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 18:20:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 16:47:
Hey Blue, have you decided if you're going viral? No, I don't mean a Lost Weekend in Tijuana where you end up in a Mexican jail with a hooker, a gunshot wound and VD. I mean, are you going to be making videos of you and the crew playing stuff together online and is it happening tonight or have you not decided yet?

At this point I think the plan is to record the proceedings just to see how it all works technically and all, since we're heading into uncharted territory. I don't know if this will work or if it will be worth posting... we'll just have to see how it goes.
Excellent news, and ofcourse, if it goes south, just chalk it up to a learning experience...

Then of course post it for all to see

I would say, "Break a Leg" but I believe the correct term here might be "Jam a Sniper Rifle at a Most Inopportune Time". Good luck Sir *salute*

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 19:01 Cutter

Hey Blue, have you decided if you're going viral? No, I don't mean a Lost Weekend in Tijuana where you end up in a Mexican jail with a hooker, a gunshot wound and VD. I mean, are you going to be making videos of you and the crew playing stuff together online and is it happening tonight or have you not decided yet?

Quite frankly I'd rather see that then some guys playing a video game.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 18:26 nin

Blue wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 18:20:
At this point I think the plan is to record the proceedings just to see how it all works technically and all, since we're heading into uncharted territory. I don't know if this will work or if it will be worth posting... we'll just have to see how it goes.

No pressure! No pressure at all!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 18:20  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 16:47 SlimRam

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 16:24 Creston

harlock wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 13:31:
Scientists have discovered that it is possible to induce lucid dreaming in sleepers by applying mild electrical currents to their scalps, a study says.

Lucid dreaming is when a sleeper recognises they are dreaming and may even be able to manipulate the dream's plot and control their behaviour.

"The key finding is that you can, surprisingly, by scalp stimulation, influence the brain. And you can influence the brain in such a way that a sleeper, a dreamer, becomes aware that he is dreaming," said Professor J Allan Hobson, from Harvard Medical School, who co-authored the paper published in Nature Neuroscience.

*BRAAAAAAAAHHHHMMMM*

17. Re: 6 high tech movie facilities Aug 4, 2014, 15:25 Beamer

I always thought ED-209 took the stairs to the 100th floor...  

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Ice cream freak out. Aug 4, 2014, 15:22 sauron

“The tortoise did try to make a run for it, but our officers are pretty fast,” the department said in a statement. “Almost had a pursuit!”

Lol, at least the cops have a sense of humor.

I once had to anesthetize a tortoise for minor surgery (remove a benign growth). Tried inhalation anesthetic but they breathe so slowly it had no effect (although it did almost put my cute veterinary nurse to sleep).

Anyhow, in the end I knocked it out with an injectable cat anesthetic. It woke up after the surgery just fine and we sent it home once it started eating lettuce. Fun case, that one.

Kittens!

15. Re: Ice cream freak out. Aug 4, 2014, 15:22 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:15:
The comments under that article. Wow.

Newsflash, it ain't just cheap Wal-Mart ice cream peoples. Ben and Jerry's, Cold Stone, you name it, it probably has some sort of gum and cellulose. Haagen-Dazs is the only one I can name off-hand that doesn't.

Oh, they're using sawdust as filler! Holy Jesus, you are retarded. Hey, guess what is actually used as filler in ice cream? AIR! And you WANT filler, or your ice cream will have the consistency of gritty, frozen cream.

I grew up on a dairy farm, btw. We knew how to make excellent home-made ice cream. FYI, you can't do it with the cheap BS machines they sell at Target.

You realize B&J still melts, right? Some gum gives consistency, but it still melts.
Personally, I only buy gum-free ice cream. Usually the major grocery stores will have a few local pints. Those are what to go for.

-------------

14. Re: Ice cream freak out. Aug 4, 2014, 15:15 Agent.X7

The comments under that article. Wow.

Newsflash, it ain't just cheap Wal-Mart ice cream peoples. Ben and Jerry's, Cold Stone, you name it, it probably has some sort of gum and cellulose. Haagen-Dazs is the only one I can name off-hand that doesn't.

Oh, they're using sawdust as filler! Holy Jesus, you are retarded. Hey, guess what is actually used as filler in ice cream? AIR! And you WANT filler, or your ice cream will have the consistency of gritty, frozen cream.

I grew up on a dairy farm, btw. We knew how to make excellent home-made ice cream. FYI, you can't do it with the cheap BS machines they sell at Target.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

13. Re: 6 high tech movie facilities Aug 4, 2014, 15:04 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:41:
Funny article, but wrong in just about every place. I don't hold Hollywood to any high standards, but most of the stuff listed here was actually thought about by the movies' producers/writers:

Death Star size / travel times: The Death Star is the size of a small moon, not of Earth's moon. (which is gargantuan by cosmic standards) It's even mentioned in the movie. A quick glance at wookieepedia shows that the original Death Star had a diameter of 120 km.

Furthermore, nowhere it is implied that Luke, Han and Chewie take just a few minutes to get to Leia's cell block. For all we know, they might have been traveling for a few hours. Same with Obi-Wan. Since even "24", which ostensibly happened in real time, cheated with travel times, I don't see why it happening in a movie is such a big deal. Maybe Tom Reimann wanted 25 minutes of watching Obi-Wan wander around, taking different turbo lifts and using the Force to make people not notice the fact there's a Jedi walking around their Imperial space station? I'm glad Lucas skipped those scenes and got on with the action.

(And really, if we're going to talk about impossible travel times, Friends still takes the cake, where Chandler travels from Tulsa to Central Park in NYC in roughly the space of an hour. )

As for the bog monster in the waste compactor, new crew member comes aboard with space flu, shits out parasite, parasite thrives in waste compactor. Also, it's the Empire, who weren't exactly known for fastidiousness. This doesn't seem that far fetched.

Face/Off : This movie was retarded in every single way.

Water on the Nostromo, Nero's ship : There is condensation on space vessels. The ISS actually has a system that's dedicated to recycling condensation from the air.

For a vessel that's on a deep space run, and the crew is cryogenically frozen, it makes sense for lots of condensation to build up. While you could argue that that would lead to massive amounts of system failures (it's caused failures on the ISS), it's not that difficult to imagine that the Nostromo has systems in place to deal with it in the more critical areas, but the cheap company couldn't be bothered with putting such systems in walkways etc.

Also, the Nostromo actually got quite some damage when it landed on LV-426(?) since it was never designed to actually land on planets. The idea of a pipe having ruptured seems within the realm of possibility.

As for why there is a pool on the bottom of Nero's ship, well, since that pool is at what the artificial gravity deems to be the bottom of his vessel, it actually makes quite a bit of sense for a design as open as his vessel to have water standing at the bottom. All that condensation does pile up.

Elysium : Never saw it, but it's not that hard to imagine that
A) They didn't bother showing the characters moving around for 30 minutes, since it makes for boring scenes, and
B) Most C&C functions are relatively within close distance. Yes, the White House, Capitol building and Pentagon aren't in the same building, but if judged over a distance over several hundred km, they are pretty damn close to one another.

And finally: ED-209 on the 100th floor. Tom Reimann has apparently never heard of a fucking SERVICE ELEVATOR. How did you think they got the big fucking desk up to the 100th floor, Tom? Transported it piecemeal in the executive glass-tube elevator?

There was a time when you at least had to make some sense when you wrote a Cracked article, but apparently now all that's required is that your article is long, has screen shots, and contains lots of strained analogies.

Thank you! I thought that article was kind of ignorant myself. Dude, water on a spaceship? NO WAI!

Well, sure, as long as you don't know shit about spaceships it seems right. And, I mean, why would you do any research before pounding out an article?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 14:05 Mordecai Walfish

But I'm living proof of copper's magical powers! I once lost a testicle due to an unfortunate accident involving a male prostitute in a Minneapolis airport bathroom and my copper underwear helped to grow it back! For realzies!  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 13:31 harlock

Scientists have discovered that it is possible to induce lucid dreaming in sleepers by applying mild electrical currents to their scalps, a study says.

Lucid dreaming is when a sleeper recognises they are dreaming and may even be able to manipulate the dream's plot and control their behaviour.

"The key finding is that you can, surprisingly, by scalp stimulation, influence the brain. And you can influence the brain in such a way that a sleeper, a dreamer, becomes aware that he is dreaming," said Professor J Allan Hobson, from Harvard Medical School, who co-authored the paper published in Nature Neuroscience.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 12:44 Bill Borre

I'm glad to see Marvel do something for Bill since the movie has been successful.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 12:15 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 11:37:
Why are the TV stations permitted to air this garbage? Just because they toss out a disclaimer before it, that somehow absolves them of any responsibility of it? If they're profiting from it - and they are - then they should share the responsibility and be liable. As bad as lawyers and politicians are there's no lower scum than people in marketing and advertising.

Again, watch the John Oliver. Part of it is because proving these claims are false is extremely costly, so no one can go after them easily right now. So they should prove their claims are true first, right?

It's easier to pay a ton of politicians to avoid this.

-------------

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 11:37 Cutter

I think those copper assholes are the same grifters responsible for the Q-Ray. They've been successfully sued on multiple occasions. Now they've smartened up and don't make direct claims, but just leave you with vague implied promises. It's like that Enzyte crap, read some of the stories surrounding that one. They've been found to contain sawdust, mercury, etc. Also sued successfully repeatedly.

I don't understand how anyone can be that stupid or lazy to think there's a miracle cure for anything. Really? You really think there's a pill that'll make your Johnson bigger? Or that copper will cure your arthritis in spite of the fact that for all its use over thousands of years no one has EVER seen that happen?

Why are the TV stations permitted to air this garbage? Just because they toss out a disclaimer before it, that somehow absolves them of any responsibility of it? If they're profiting from it - and they are - then they should share the responsibility and be liable. As bad as lawyers and politicians are there's no lower scum than people in marketing and advertising.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 11:31 PHJF

I like the TV ads for a magical towel that you soak in water and then wrap around your head. It magically cools down the wearer. With magic. Also, water.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 10:52 Redmask

Marketing is deceptive by nature, the amount of bullshit you can read by just browsing the grocery story aisles is ridiculous. We wonder how society keeps getting bigger and unhealthy but the answer is in our faces 24/7, good information crushed by an army of marketing shit. The fines for these things never outweighs the revenue made by lying so this practice will continue unabated which sucks because belief in things like magical gloves can be dangerous.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >