Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 1, 2014, 10:50 Ant

BitWraith wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:32:
nin wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 08:49:
I'd love to see Comic Con, but after seeing pictures of folks sleeping overnight to get into hall H? No thanks...

Comic Con has turned into an event where people wait for hours and hours ot be advertised at.
Basically like E3.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 30, 2014, 04:54 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 15:05:
GaymerX, finally a place I can go and find a straight acting gay guy that wants to bump nasties and play a little co-op afterwords

Wait, WHAT??

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 30, 2014, 04:50 jdreyer

BitWraith wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:32:

Comic Con has turned into an event where people spend hundreds of hours and dollars to make a cool costume in order to wait for hours and hours to be advertised at.

FIXED.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 20:50 Julio

PropheT wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 19:22:
Julio wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 14:10:
PropheT wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 14:00:
if it were something that gave kids who were gay a place where they could gather and play games without fear of persecution then I think that's definitely of value.

And we call that place the internet...

Who's we?

I've never seen anyone seriously argue that the internet (and especially online gaming) was a good place to escape prejudice,and doubt I ever will.

How does anyone on the internet know who is a Gaymer or not? Nobody can tell your race, sex, sexual preferences, religion etc through online gaming. Unless you tell them.

I really don't care if gay gamers want to play together, but let's not pretend they don't have the option to play with non-gay gamers too.

14. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 19:22 PropheT

Julio wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 14:10:
if it were something that gave kids who were gay a place where they could gather and play games without fear of persecution then I think that's definitely of value.

Who's we?

I've never seen anyone seriously argue that the internet (and especially online gaming) was a good place to escape prejudice,and doubt I ever will.

13. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 18:59 killer_roach

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 15:36:
El Pit wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:04:
GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed? Where is HeteRox, the political lobby group about hetero rock musicians, or AfriGame about African American gamers or... *sighs* Really, guys, there are more important groups that need every single buck to fight starvation, diseases, and the Starbuckisation of once great coffee. Well, alright, maybe the last one does not need the money.

Actually, you're missing the point. The point is that, had this been a "singles con" or somesuch, when a backer reneged on their donation, you'd have to suck up the loss and soldier on. In this case, you can call up a friend who works for a gaming magazine and accuse the company of being anti-gay (based on nothing but your anger), which means that everyone will then fall all over each other in a desperate attempt to see who can curry more favor (so as to escape the dreaded calumny of being labeled homophobic). And the money to pay your bar tab comes rolling in. It's tactical genius!

Seemed like they were getting desperate to sign NIS America on as a sponsor because they were in need of the money, then got let down because, as surprises no one, NIS can't really do things like that seeing as they're perpetually one step from bankruptcy. Good on them that they got somebody else to cover their own mismanagement, but if something similar happens next year you wonder how much longer the good will can continue for.

12. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 15:36 Eirikrautha

GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed? Where is HeteRox, the political lobby group about hetero rock musicians, or AfriGame about African American gamers or... *sighs* Really, guys, there are more important groups that need every single buck to fight starvation, diseases, and the Starbuckisation of once great coffee. Well, alright, maybe the last one does not need the money.

Actually, you're missing the point. The point is that, had this been a "singles con" or somesuch, when a backer reneged on their donation, you'd have to suck up the loss and soldier on. In this case, you can call up a friend who works for a gaming magazine and accuse the company of being anti-gay (based on nothing but your anger), which means that everyone will then fall all over each other in a desperate attempt to see who can curry more favor (so as to escape the dreaded calumny of being labeled homophobic). And the money to pay your bar tab comes rolling in. It's tactical genius!

11. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 15:05 The Half Elf

GaymerX, finally a place I can go and find a straight acting gay guy that wants to bump nasties and play a little co-op afterwords  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

10. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 14:46 Beelzebud

No one is forcing you to participate. Freedom of association.

9. Five reasons not to miss comic-con Jul 29, 2014, 14:45 Creston

1) Cute girls cosplaying
2) Cute girls cosplaying
3) Cute girls cosplaying
4) Cute girls cosplaying
5) I dunno, something with comics I guess.

1-4, however, can just as easily be enjoyed through pictures.

8. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 14:10 Julio

7. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 14:00 PropheT

GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed?

Yeah, there is unfortunately.

I don't personally see funding it as being any different than spending money to foster a safe environment for anybody, though; if it were something that gave kids who were gay a place where they could gather and play games without fear of persecution then I think that's definitely of value.

6. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 13:21 SimplyMonk

GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed?

Well, although not really the point of GaymerX, have you ever played a game of Call of Duty or Dota/HoN/LoL? People are douche bags.

GaymerX is more about playing with people that share your lifestyle though.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 29, 2014, 10:59 Jivaro

NIS America flaking on their sponsorship is unfortunately something that happens to all event organizers eventually....particularly those that collect their money after the event has occurred. (I am not saying it's okay, I am just saying that shit happens) I think the bigger and better story is what Devolver Digital and other indie developers have done since this story went public. Those people stepping up and putting up their own money to make sure this event gets it's funding is not something that an event organizer can expect to happen. Ever. Well played folks.  

4. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 09:47 Pigeon

By your reasoning there shouldn't be any special interest conventions ever. No Comic-Con, Quake-Con, PAX, various sporting events, conventions for model train enthusiasts or whatever the hell else people with shared interests like to gather for.

Its not a lobby and its not a PAC, its a group of people with similar interests and lifestyles getting together to have a good time. Like most events of this sort they rely heavily on sponsors to help fund their events. When a sponsor decides they aren't going to pay what they promised after their promotional material has already been plastered all over the event, it creates a big problem. Try reading the article next time instead of blindly reacting to the word gay.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 29, 2014, 09:32 BitWraith

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 08:49:
I'd love to see Comic Con, but after seeing pictures of folks sleeping overnight to get into hall H? No thanks...

Comic Con has turned into an event where people wait for hours and hours ot be advertised at.

Big Box PC Game Collectors - https://www.facebook.com/groups/311204112360601/

2. RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 09:04 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 29, 2014, 08:49 nin

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >