Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust

Facepunch Studios announces Riftlight, an arcade-shooter with some RPG elements such as character levels, abilities, and talent trees. The first devblog outlines how this will work, offers some screenshots, and a video showing the game's twin-stick style gameplay, which they say will support mouse and keyboard. As noted on Eurogamer, this has inspired some outrage from gamers upset that Rust is still incomplete, as Facepunch's zombie game remains in early access. Studio head Garry Newman responds to this in a new post explaining what's going on. This is pretty lengthy, as it covers a lot of bases, so this is just an excerpt:
There were a few things that kind of irked me in the comments about Rust. A lot of people said we gave up on Rust, and aren’t updating it anymore. Rust is getting updates very regularly. We even set up a twitter account that live posts when we commit new stuff. We are very transparent about that. I fully accept that this is our fault for not communicating the experimental branch properly, but it hurts when we’re working all week on it and people don’t acknowledge that.

Secondly the whole funding thing. People aren’t going to like my views on this. Some commenters have expressed their feelings that they ‘funded’ Rust and we’re running off with the money. None of this sentence is true. We funded Rust for 1-2 years before it eventually became what it is. You bought early access to it. When you buy a pizza you aren’t funding Dominos, you’re just buying a pizza. It’s true that the sales of Rust have been insane and we have stepped up development to suit, and I think you only have to compare the experimental version to the live version to see that.

Thirdly – the people who work on Rust are working on Rust. They’re not working on prototypes. That should be very obvious by the dev-blogs we post every friday.
View : : :

Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
Jul 28, 2014, 17:25
Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 17:25
Jul 28, 2014, 17:25

PropheT wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 16:42:
Quboid wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 16:04:
I think what he meant is that Rust is funded. They have met the budget they require to finish the game and presumably did so quite some time ago. At this point, people buying Rust on Early Access are buying a product, not funding a creation. The analogy doesn't really stand up to further scrutiny, as you say.

I'm sure that's what he meant, I'm just not convinced it's actually true when it seems the same as being a late Kickstarter backer who buys into a project after it has already hit its funding goal like you point out.

When the product that you got when you originally purchased an early access game may not even resemble what you get when it's ultimately finished, I'm not sure how else to justify taking the money other than selling a promise of a later product...especially since the original product tends to cease being available as the updates progress.

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 16:09:
Actually you ARE funding Dominoes when you buy a pizza. You are supplying them revenue they need to keep operating aren't you?

Kind of depends on how you look at it, but I suppose you could definitely argue that you help purchase the components necessary to complete the pizza and then they build it for you based in part on the funds provided.

The problem to me is that if you go further to make it like gaming, you gave them the money expecting pepperoni and they give you some uncooked dough to get started, and then deliver a cookie pizza a year later after telling you their plans changed.

Rust is the game that should have had the gaming press asking real questions about Early Access, after making millions based on a product they had out and then going back to the drawing board with all the money afterward...but instead, this.

I disagree. If you go to the Steam page, it tells you right there in the blue section. This early access game may or may not change significantly over the course of development. They are telling you up front that the game can and probably will change, that's the risk you take with early access.

That's what I meant when I said people don't really understand or have a very different expectation (even when it's spelled out otherwise) of what early access is.
Date
Subject
Author
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014
Jul 31, 2014Jul 31 2014
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014
      Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
Jul 28, 2014Jul 28 2014