Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Controller Redesigned?

SteamDB tweets an image of a redesigned Steam Controller that now sports what looks like an analog thumbstick, another step away from the less conventional designs Valve began with. According to PC Gamer, the image is included in the latest beta Steam client for some reason.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 15:35 SimplyMonk

Buddy of mine got in the Beta. He brought his Steam Box to work and I played around a little on it. The original controller was going to take far more to get used to than the 30 minutes I put into it. Played a little Half-Life 2 and spent most of the time looking at the ceiling or the floor. Surprisingly I had an easier time using it to control DOTA2. Not great, but easier.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 15:23 LiTh

This is such a waste of money and resources by valve, partner with Sony or Microsoft and try to get into those markets and call it a day.  

17. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 13:05 loomy

This is the way it should be. Analog stick is used more than dpad, and the touch pad can duplicate the dpad sufficiently well, but not the stick. 10/10 valve  

16. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 09:52 Mordecai Walfish

It will take some hands-on time to see if that is truly a viable option, biggest problem being the transition time between the 4 directions and how short the travel time is. That is precisely why a d-pad is ideal for so many fast paced platformers, fighters and classic games  

15. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 09:25 Verno

I actually kind of like it now and the pads can double as a dpad.  
Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

14. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 05:40 Julio

They kept those testicle warmer spots really far apart from each other.  

13. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 23:17 LittleMe

Does it have a place to attach different hats?

Perpetual debt is slavery.

12. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 21:17 HorrorScope

Toss in a roller ball where the right coffee warmer is and call it a day.  

11. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 20:13 jacobvandy

Well, the way I see it, this isn't gonna replace an Xbox controller for the games I already use that for... I guess I can see why they wanted to include a stick, but it's unnecessary unless this is gonna be the only gamepad you own.  

10. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 19:35 William Usher

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 18:55:

No doubt this design comes from testing the controller vs traditional analogs in a variety of games. I'm guessing for racing games especially the analog is wayyy better than the touchpads.

Here's the thing, I don't care what the testing says, I'd just like to be able to purchase the one they originally unveiled. Heck, I'm inclined to say that I would buy a couple different iterations of these controllers just for different play-styles.

I just hope they give users the option, at least, and that they don't completely bury some of the original designs just to cave-in to gamers who have never used it before.

Also, the haptec pads can be okay for racing games, it just depends on how they're calibrated.

9. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 19:33 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 18:05:
I was looking forward to trying that previous one...

edit: Oh, it's not replacing...I still want it!

Yes. We are of one mind. Looks cool.

Also, I never use the DPad on my Xbox controller. Just the sticks.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

8. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:55 Mordecai Walfish

I'd like to see at least some way to have a d-pad on this, as removing it removes any possibility of platformer/classic gaming on this thing.

Maybe have the analog swappable for a d-pad, if done well. The original d-pad looked god awful so hopefully they improve that design too.

No doubt this design comes from testing the controller vs traditional analogs in a variety of games. I'm guessing for racing games especially the analog is wayyy better than the touchpads.

7. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:28 Beamer

descender wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 18:24:
Why? Every time they change this controller, I want it a little bit less.

Maybe there should be a D-pad there, but definitely not an analog stick. No reason to give in to the whiny console babies who don't can't understand how great those touchpads will be.

Or, maybe, in testing they're learning it actually isn't that great?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:27 Luke

They forgot to put in there sniffing tool Clown 's  

5. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:24 descender

Why? Every time they change this controller, I want it a little bit less.

Maybe there should be a D-pad there, but definitely not an analog stick. No reason to give in to the whiny console babies who don't can't understand how great those touchpads will be.

4. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:21 NKD

Looking forward to the inclusion of a Steam Keyboard with Dvorak layout. Enough with the hipster bullshit Valve. PC users want keyboard and mouse. Console users want dual thumbsticks. Nobody short of maybe some Nintendo fans want some gimmick controller.  

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

3. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:15 KTR

Imo, the lack of a popper d-pad is a big oversight. And I thought the touch pads were suppose to be nextgen thumbsticks. So why is Valve including a conventional stick also?!?  

2. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:05 nin

I was looking forward to trying that previous one...

edit: Oh, it's not replacing...I still want it!

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

1. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:01 CptRanger

Called this awhile ago. You don't just throw away the sticks from the main console controller generation.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo