Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?

The Areal Kickstarter is officially funded, and currently has collected pledges for over $62K of the $50K goal for the first-person shooter. Meanwhile, a Kickstarter update from West Games has an unusual story, even in the context of Areal, which is saying something, considering all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-related controversy embroiling the upcoming shooter. They describe receiving an email of support from Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying they initially were as skeptical about this as any of us would be, before outlining how they've managed to convince themselves that this may be legitimate. Since things are so quiet in Russia right now, Vlad apparently wants to do a little gaming, as part of the translation of the letter reads: "If you give me the chance to play the alpha version of the game, when it is ready, then I invite you in advance to the Kremlin, to meet personally, be ready to play a little bit and talk about the interests of young people, the gamers of our country." Thanks Rhialto.
View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 21:47 Parallax Abstraction

siapnar wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 13:03:
How is this project still allowed to continue on Kickstarter?

Because Kickstarter only gets paid when projects fund. It's not in their interests to block something that will profit them, especially when everyone will have forgotten about this in 6 months.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 21:44 NewMaxx

No shit he didn't endorse it, the letter says his daughter backed it. Last I heard she was in the Netherlands, btw...talk about irony.

Also, chances are they're mentioning the letter to make it seem like that's the source of the $10,000 pledge (which was updated/upgraded) that they likely put in themselves to scam the rest of the money.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2014, 21:55.

25. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 20:10 commonperson

Task wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 12:58:
I doubt Putin endorsed this.

You'd be shocked, a few years ago he appeared at a Russian rap concert and got on stage. He's trying to curry support from young voters and pretty much endear himself to those who he can whip up a stronger base of support from. It's pretty classic techniques used by his old bosses' mentor Joseph. You can take the field operative out of the KGB but you can't take the KGB field operative out of the man.

24. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 19:03 harlock

this shit is rivaling star citizen for wtfuckery  

23. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:44 jdreyer

In Russia, the government funds you!

Yes I realize that letter is a hoax.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:24 Beamer

Task wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:30:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 13:41:
I'm sure Putin didn't use his own money. It probably came from the credit cards stolen off of the bodies of the passengers of flight MH17...

Wow, more Russia bashing, nice. The kind of trash talk I'd expect from people that don't think on the basis of "Cui Bono?"

It's a shame you didn't present a poorly made YouTube video as your evidence. That's what makes it clear you aren't some kind of loon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:04 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:55:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:38:
What a shit show. This sort of shit is precisely why I'm done with KS. KS doesn't care and won't take any responsibility because they want their cut. They're like pimps and no one should support pimps.

You could just avoid shady Kickstarters and support the ones worth supporting. For every Areal, there's ten Kickstarters that turn out well.

True enough. I should say I won't be bothering with games Kickstarters anymore. Most seem to be either scams or from people that can afford to bankroll them themselves but don't want to risk their own money. There are people doing other things that are definitely worthy of backing. Here's one...

Smash Cup!

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

20. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:03 Jerykk

Assuming that the pledges remain above $50k for the remainder of the campaign, I do admit to wanting to see how everything plays out. There's obviously no way they can deliver what they've promised for the money they're asking. I suspect they'll eventually admit that the funding was simply for a prototype that they can pitch to publishers. Or they'll start another Kickstarter for "bonus polish and features." Or they'll "postpone" the game and start a Kickstarter for another game entirely. Or they'll just cancel the game and apologize to backers (without any refunds, of course).  

19. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 17:35 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:53:
Redmask wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:32:
Wow, more Russia bashing, nice.

Not like they aren't giving the world plenty of ammo these days.

Oh come on, what's an airliner with 300 people on board amongst friends?

1988: US warship shoots down Iranian airliner

18. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 17:07 siapnar

Of all the IPs a group of idiots had to break our hearts about via a clusterfuck of a Kickstarter scam... they had to choose STALKER

Fuck these guys

Double fuck these guys

17. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 16:55 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:38:
What a shit show. This sort of shit is precisely why I'm done with KS. KS doesn't care and won't take any responsibility because they want their cut. They're like pimps and no one should support pimps.

You could just avoid shady Kickstarters and support the ones worth supporting. For every Areal, there's ten Kickstarters that turn out well.

16. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 16:53 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:32:

Oh come on, what's an airliner with 300 people on board amongst friends?

Anyway, the idea that Putin reached out to them, this shitty little two-man scam band, and invited them to the kremlin etc, holy shit these guys are fucking delusional.

I sure hope people will pull their money out before the timer expires, otherwise these guys will get 35K of undeserved money.

15. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 16:32 Redmask

14. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 16:30 Task

I'm sure Putin didn't use his own money. It probably came from the credit cards stolen off of the bodies of the passengers of flight MH17...

Wow, more Russia bashing, nice. The kind of trash talk I'd expect from people that don't think on the basis of "Cui Bono?"

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

13. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 15:29 Agent.X7

Love you Ukrainians! We play game, I laugh, I shoot you in face, I laugh more! And don't worry. You don even have to come to Russia, since Russia will be coming to you.

PS - Fly on plane lately? That also fun to shoot.

VP

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

12. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 15:06 Icewind

I can't believe the developers fell for the troll who is trying to mock them.  

11. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 14:56 nin

Darks wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 12:47:
I doubt they will get anything, people are just waiting till the last day to pull their funding.

I sure hope you're right. It's so frustrating watching these guys lie and be total assholes, yet (so far) seemingly get away with it, and be rewarded.

I reported two of the spammers on Friday, before the support hours of KS cutoff, and they're still going today. One of them made over 500 posts in a single day, just cutting and pasting huge walls to text, so no one else can have a conversation.

10. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 14:38 Cutter

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

9. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 14:32 Wallshadows

Man, that would just be something else.

8. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 13:41 Eirikrautha

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >