Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 10:31 HorrorScope

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 07:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 10:29:
Cloud era? Nobody I know would ever put anything worth a damn in a US company cloud...

You are clearly out of touch.

Also, you think your data is safe because you host your own servers? LOL! Talk about being naive.

Then why is everyone wasting any time and money on security?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 07:53 Steele Johnson

Cloud era? Nobody I know would ever put anything worth a damn in a US company cloud...

You are clearly out of touch.

Also, you think your data is safe because you host your own servers? LOL! Talk about being naive.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 21:39 Prez

In other news, Nokia employees didn't get a bonus for 2013. Their CEO got a $25 million dollar bonus.

That shit ought to be illegal.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 21:21 Redmask

Darks wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 10:39:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 09:42:
Been using PrecisionX for a while now, but just downloaded Afterburner and will probably stick with that given the background behind Precision that I wasn't aware of before, as well as this current code-stealing fuckery.

So, just because someone claims they used the code it becomes factual? you sound like a women who just cried rape but was never raped and the guy now has to prove his innocence.

The fact is, no ones knows for sure if they did or didn't use his code. Until someone digs into the code and does a side by side comparison to prove it. Then I would suggest you not falsely accuse someone until that fact is proven.

You get really angry over the dumbest things. Someone doesn't want to use this app OHMYGODKILLTHEM.

Take a fucking pill son.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 20:06 Mordecai Walfish

Darks wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 10:39:
Been using PrecisionX for a while now, but just downloaded Afterburner and will probably stick with that given the background behind Precision that I wasn't aware of before, as well as this current code-stealing fuckery.

So, just because someone claims they used the code it becomes factual? you sound like a women who just cried rape but was never raped and the guy now has to prove his innocence.

The fact is, no ones knows for sure if they did or didn't use his code. Until someone digs into the code and does a side by side comparison to prove it. Then I would suggest you not falsely accuse someone until that fact is proven.

Simmer down Ned, I said that was only one of the reasons I was switching to afterburner, and looking through the examples that the owner of rivatuner gave and what is existant in the new build of precision, it would appear that at least some of his claim is valid, as well as the previously stated fact that I learned more about afterburner and the history of both programs in the process and it is undoubtedly a better program (64bit app support, amongst other things stands out). I don't need to wait for a jury to make the switch, I've already made up my mind, thank you.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 18:05 Eirikrautha

Re: The Cloud

Back in the day, when computer hardware was expensive (and gasoline was under $1 a gallon), most companies didn't want the tremendous expense of putting a fully self-contained computer in every office (size was also an issue). So, the IT folks had this amazing idea: let's put all of the important stuff on one large expensive computer, then give everyone in the office a "workstation" that can access the data on the mainframe, but doesn't cost anywhere near as much.

This was great in theory, until the utility of having all of your data and applications local became obvious (my computer goes down, I stop working; the server goes down, we ALL stop working). Once computer hardware got cheap enough, businesses couldn't wait to get rid of the hassles of mainframes.

Fast forward to today, where companies are deciding to put all of their data and applications in the "cloud" (which isn't even on-site!) and reduce the capabilities of the stations given to the workers. This is called "progress"...

Morons.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 18:03 Julio

I'm guessing the geniuses behind Windows 8 and the Office ribbon got to keep their jobs?  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 14:37 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 13:04:
Beamer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 11:28:
when I read things like this, I get the impression that most people don't have a clue what the hell the "cloud" is and how it is basically the entire internet at this point.

Right they renamed the same thing we had.

Internet
Online Servers
Information Super Highway - Remember that one?
Cloud

Just a way of sounding like you have something new. Now are there new apps and strategies? Yes. But it is still online servers.

What I read is MS is focusing on Online Apps, put cloud in there so hopefully some idiot investor gets excited. Online apps... amazing new stuff.

In the screenshots of the new and improved desktop start menu Microsoft renamed "All programs" to "All Apps". Of course Microsoft is going to continue to push their walled garden approach to software distribution in Windows 9.

I draw the line at trying to rename programs "Apps".

Apps is perfectly fine for tablets and phones because they're completely limited in scope and functionality. I'll never consider programs like Autocad or Photoshop an "App".

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 14:01 descender

"Cloud Hosting" your webserver and hosting your private data/databases/internal projects are very different things. Companies doing the latter are absolutely out of their minds.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 13:48 HorrorScope

Before cloud there was certainly redundant clustered servers. I agree it is more today than then, but that was inevitable, there will always be more tomorrow. Many .com's had all of this that predated the word cloud.  

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 13:09 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 13:04:
when I read things like this, I get the impression that most people don't have a clue what the hell the "cloud" is and how it is basically the entire internet at this point.

Internet
Online Servers
Cloud

Just a way of sounding like you have something new. Now are there new apps and strategies? Yes. But it is still online servers.

What I read is MS is focusing on Online Apps, put cloud in there so hopefully some idiot investor gets excited. Online apps... amazing new stuff.

Well, it is new, though. With servers, you rented a server. If that server went down, your site went down.

With clouds, you rent time on a cluster of servers with massive redundancies. You have very little worry about downtime, because if one server dies there are hundreds of others to pick up its load immediately. If your data needs change because you get a sudden surge of users more servers will start working your data and you don't need to worry about being DDOSd by valid users.

I mean, it's not really a rebranding of something we had. It's saying the word "forest" is a fancy way of saying "tree."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 13:04 HorrorScope

Internet
Online Servers
Cloud

9. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2014, 12:56 HorrorScope

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 12:02:
Yes yes, anything but a bad economy, huh? Cuts here, layoffs there all because of Bush and the republicans (sarcasm). lol

No need for sarcasm.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 12:18 Beamer

In other news, Nokia employees didn't get a bonus for 2013. Their CEO got a $25 million dollar bonus.

I'm sure he worked much harder than them and that's why, right? I mean, that's the libertarian line, that your wealth is determined by how hard you work, not how much your employer decides to keep for himself rather than pass down to you.

-------------

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 12:06 Verno

Dundar parachute account?  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

6. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2014, 12:02 LibertyOrDeath

Yes yes, anything but a bad economy, huh? Cuts here, layoffs there all because of Bush and the republicans (sarcasm). lol  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 11:28 Beamer

Then you don't know someone at pretty much every single tech company in the world, eh? Particularly startups, which wouldn't exist if not for the current US cloud infrastructure.

I get that you mean due to the NSA, but when I read things like this, I get the impression that most people don't have a clue what the hell the "cloud" is and how it is basically the entire internet at this point.

As for that headline, again, clickbait. Microsoft has repeatedly said the vast majority of those jobs will be redundancies due to the Nokia acquisition, which increased their workforce by about 30%. Again, they picked up a large Windows Phone marketing team, yet already had a large Windows Phone marketing team. There's no reason for two.

-------------

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 10:39 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 10:29 DukeFNukem

Cloud era? LOL. How come nobody told me about this? Oh, because if they pretend like it is, then everyone else will believe it is the "cloud era". Not for me. Cheaper to buy a large hard disk or memory card and care for all my own data.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 10:29 eRe4s3r

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >