MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; "New Concepts" Coming

Train Simulator developer Dovetail Games announces they've licensed Flight Simulator X from Microsoft, and plan on bringing the venerable program to Steam later this year in a special edition for Valve's service. They also somewhat vaguely say: "The company is currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015." Here's word on the Steam edition:
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition will include the Deluxe Edition and the Acceleration Expansion Pack in one bundle. Dovetail Games will bring Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to the Steam online gaming platform for the first time in late 2014.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year;
Jul 10, 2014, 12:50
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 12:50
Jul 10, 2014, 12:50

jimnms wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 11:19:
ochentay4 wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 07:38:
Well, I tried X-Plane 9 (DRM Free by the way, and it comes with several DL DVDs for scenery) patched to latest version last december and fligth simulation felt great, of course I'm not an expert nor a pilot.

As far as I know X-Plane distributes it's software also for commercial simulation and they have released X-Plane 10 (also DRM Free for Home use)a while ago so I suppose it's greater than X-Plane 9.

See for yourself, try it and let us know!:
http://www.x-plane.com

I don't remember what version it was that I tried. It was right around or before FS2002 came out. I was working on my instrument rating, so the most important thing for me was accurate navigation, weather, scenery, cockpit instrumentation and accurate flight performance. The scenery in X-Plane was basically green ground and all but a hand full of airports were generic layout and it didn't have full navaid coverage.

I remember one of the selling points of X-Plane was that it simulated aircraft performance based on physics calculations on the aircraft model instead of using lookup tables like MSFS. However, MSFS had more accurate flight performance than X-Plane. The Cessna 172 (which is the plane I was training in), in MSFS I could use my actual aircraft's performance charts and it would perform almost exactly like it should. X-Plane felt cool to fly, but the actual performance was way off compared to the real plane. The Cessna 172 in X-Plane would climb too fast, cruise too fast and was way to sensitive on the controls.

As I said before, I stongly recommend you to try X-Plane 10 or at lease Patched X-Plane 9, I think you will be surprised.

Jul 10, 2014, 11:19
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 11:19
Jul 10, 2014, 11:19

ochentay4 wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 07:38:
Well, I tried X-Plane 9 (DRM Free by the way, and it comes with several DL DVDs for scenery) patched to latest version last december and fligth simulation felt great, of course I'm not an expert nor a pilot.

As far as I know X-Plane distributes it's software also for commercial simulation and they have released X-Plane 10 (also DRM Free for Home use)a while ago so I suppose it's greater than X-Plane 9.

I don't remember what version it was that I tried. It was right around or before FS2002 came out. I was working on my instrument rating, so the most important thing for me was accurate navigation, weather, scenery, cockpit instrumentation and accurate flight performance. The scenery in X-Plane was basically green ground and all but a hand full of airports were generic layout and it didn't have full navaid coverage.

I remember one of the selling points of X-Plane was that it simulated aircraft performance based on physics calculations on the aircraft model instead of using lookup tables like MSFS. However, MSFS had more accurate flight performance than X-Plane. The Cessna 172 (which is the plane I was training in), in MSFS I could use my actual aircraft's performance charts and it would perform almost exactly like it should. X-Plane felt cool to fly, but the actual performance was way off compared to the real plane. The Cessna 172 in X-Plane would climb too fast, cruise too fast and was way to sensitive on the controls.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Jul 10, 2014, 10:56
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 10:56
Jul 10, 2014, 10:56

The sheer volume of DLC for this will make Steam error out until a dev uses int64.

Jul 10, 2014, 08:47
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 08:47
Jul 10, 2014, 08:47

Jul 10, 2014, 07:38
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 07:38
Jul 10, 2014, 07:38

yuastnav wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 07:11:
jimnms wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 00:19:
ochentay4 wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 22:59:
I don't know why all the fuss on FSX. X-Plane is great, cheaper, and I still don't understand why isn't on Steam.

Unless X-Plane has had some drastic changes the last time I tried it, it was horrible compared to MSFS. Its scenery was bland and generic, the cockpits bland and generic and the flight modeling was a joke.

I felt the same, just switched. X-Plane was great while the scenery and cockpits in FS weren't as good and the flight model in FS felt kinda gimmicky compared to X-Plane.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2014, 07:45.

Jul 10, 2014, 07:11
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 07:11
Jul 10, 2014, 07:11

jimnms wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 00:19:
I don't know why all the fuss on FSX. X-Plane is great, cheaper, and I still don't understand why isn't on Steam.

Unless X-Plane has had some drastic changes the last time I tried it, it was horrible compared to MSFS. Its scenery was bland and generic, the cockpits bland and generic and the flight modeling was a joke.

I felt the same, just switched. X-Plane was great while the scenery and cockpits in FS weren't as good and the flight model in FS felt kinda gimmicky compared to X-Plane.
Now we donce.

Jul 10, 2014, 03:42
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 03:42
Jul 10, 2014, 03:42

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 00:26:
bigspender wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 23:13:
Meh I'll take the ultra detailed aircraft of DCS World any day over FSX

Well, some people actually like to play it peaceful, either all the time or at least for a change, and learning to follow real world flight procedures is a whole world of challenge all on its own.
Besides, if all you're into is system depth, there are add-on planes for FSX that make even DCS' "ultra detailed" aircraft look like toy planes. The PMDG series, for example, or also the Majestic Q400.

I beg to differ. The graphics of DCS are not on par with the latest payware mods and addons that FSX sports, but if you go scratching beneath the hood, there is no better flight model on the planet. Except for maybe commercial or military training simulators.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jul 10, 2014, 00:26
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 00:26
Jul 10, 2014, 00:26

bigspender wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 23:13:

Well, some people actually like to play it peaceful, either all the time or at least for a change, and learning to follow real world flight procedures is a whole world of challenge all on its own.
Besides, if all you're into is system depth, there are add-on planes for FSX that make even DCS' "ultra detailed" aircraft look like toy planes. The PMDG series, for example, or also the Majestic Q400.

Jul 10, 2014, 00:19
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 10, 2014, 00:19
Jul 10, 2014, 00:19

"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Jul 9, 2014, 23:13
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 23:13
Jul 9, 2014, 23:13

Jul 9, 2014, 22:59
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 22:59
Jul 9, 2014, 22:59

Jul 9, 2014, 22:49
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 22:49
Jul 9, 2014, 22:49

Prepar3D is already sort of becoming FSX11. It's in a bit of a licensing quagmire though insofar as FSX payware content is concerend (as I understand it, it technically works fine, but isn't permitted by the license).

It's also a little expensive. Version 2.2 can be damn pretty though. I understand it performs considerably better than FSX as well on the same hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJ8eaqkDuY

Jul 9, 2014, 22:47
Tom
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 22:47
Jul 9, 2014, 22:47
Tom

FlightGear! Oh man. I tried that maybe 2 years ago. Saw the web site and thought "this might be cool". Installed it. Was blown away by how bad it was. Uninstalled with extreme prejudice.

Jul 9, 2014, 22:12
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 22:12
Jul 9, 2014, 22:12

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 20:45:
A serious and 100% accurate (flight model, avionics, weather etc.) civilian flight sim would be the perfect fit for an open source crowdfunded effort since no single company could ever hope to create realistic global terrain and detailed airplanes within any reasonable amount of time.

FlightGear has been around for over 15 years and it's just now catching up graphically to FS2002/4. I don't know about flight models. I tried it way back before its 1.0 release.

FS9 was the last MSFS I bought. Like Windows, I skipped every other version. I had a lot of payware aircraft for FS9, some of which did get FSX patches, and had it heavily modded. I kind of fell out of the hobby, but I had been toying with the idea of picking up FSX, dusting off my flight sim gear and getting back into it. I might pick this up if the price is right.

Jul 9, 2014, 21:22
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 21:22
Jul 9, 2014, 21:22

Whatevs, long past due to make a new one.
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Jul 9, 2014, 20:45
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 20:45
Jul 9, 2014, 20:45

A serious and 100% accurate (flight model, avionics, weather etc.) civilian flight sim would be the perfect fit for an open source crowdfunded effort since no single company could ever hope to create realistic global terrain and detailed airplanes within any reasonable amount of time.

Not sure what DTG are planning on but can't be anything too serious if it's already scheduled for release next year. So maybe it's just a re-release with Steve's DirectX 10 fixer fully incorporated? Steve's DX10 fix has recently been pulled from the FS Store. Maybe this is the reason...

A fixed up re-release actually wouldn't be too bad. FSX with the right mix of add-ons is fairly close to perfect. If DTG could manage to really get into the FSX source and improve performance for modern systems with multithreading support, fix the dreaded OOM issues and rework the weather engine (so e.g. weather radar works) and ATC then that would be a simmer's dream come true.

This can only be an intermediate solution though. What's really needed is an all new AAA civilian sim that is open for add-on developers so hundreds or thousands of people worldwide can work on such a massive project simultaneously.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 9, 2014, 20:23
Rigs

Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2014, 20:23
Jul 9, 2014, 20:23
 Rigs

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 20:06:
See? Microsoft does care about PC gaming! Look how they are releasing an eight-year old game back onto the market! That's dedication!

If we are really lucky, they may even re-release Ski-Free.

I take offense to that. FSX isn't some laughing stock. The mod and payware expansion scene on FSX would leave you speechless! You think the Train Simulator 2014 DLC is unnerving? FSX has more than 20,000 payware and freeware 'AAA'-quality addons available, and more still coming every year. FSX is far from dead. It's looking a little rough in spots, but the addons have a lot of that covered too. Realistic weather, air and ground traffic, virtual flights and air cargo hauling...you name it, you can find it!

=-Rigs-=
Survivor of the 12/10/21 Mayfield EF4 tornado
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Jul 9, 2014, 20:06
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 20:06
Jul 9, 2014, 20:06

See? Microsoft does care about PC gaming! Look how they are releasing an eight-year old game back onto the market! That's dedication!

If we are really lucky, they may even re-release Ski-Free.

Jul 9, 2014, 19:20
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 19:20
Jul 9, 2014, 19:20

Maybe they can finally get that DX10 support in the sim

Flight Sim X DX10 support

Jul 9, 2014, 19:17
Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 19:17
Jul 9, 2014, 19:17

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 18:49:
Maybe someone is going to make a modern version of it at some point? Like FS11?

To create what we would expect to be 'FS11' would have to have accurate terrain mapping of the entire surface of the planet with accurate real time weather information.

The terrain maps would have to be < +/- 10 feet vertical with elevation points taken less than every 100 feet from each other and with scenery and objects as close to photo-real as possible.

Google maps has been attempting this goal for years (against growing resistance) and so have the world's numerous Military and Intelligence institutions.

In short, FS11 would actually be a 'real' Terrestrial Flight Simulator as FS10 already comes very close.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older