Out of the Blue

The unofficial start of summer was certainly authentic: I did some grilling yesterday and practically cooked myself in the heat along with the food. The silly thing is that I could have remembered to use this head cooking chamois thing I recently picked up for such occasions, but it slipped my sun-baked mind. I'll be sure to remember it next time. And as noted previously, today is Memorial Day here in the U.S., which has a solemn intent of honoring fallen soldiers, so here's a salute to all who have made such sacrifices, and sincere hopes for a future with fewer dead soldiers to honor.

Memorial Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: ControlCraft 3.
Creeper World 3 Abraxis.
Stories: I Went to the Nutritionists' Annual Confab. It Was Catered by McDonald's. Thanks Cutter.
What It Costs to Fly at the 75 Busiest U.S. Airports.
Vote for Vader: Star Wars’ Sith Lord loses in Ukraine mayoral elections.
Science: El Niño Looks More Likely for Summer, and with It Drought Relief for West.
Media: Kid has an extremely tough decision to make.
Aug(De)Mented Reality.
City flooded within 5 minutes.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 27, 2014, 21:58
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 21:58
May 27, 2014, 21:58

Verno wrote on May 27, 2014, 09:26:
Sepharo wrote on May 26, 2014, 23:30:
Blue might as well wait it out at this point. Phones with bigger screens and better resolution don't really need specially formatted mobile sites anymore. I find myself more often than not searching for the Desktop link because I find mobile versions of sites to usually be very lacking or non-intuitive.

Eh I don't know, This site looks pretty awful on my phone which has a huge screen and a decent resolution. All of the zooming and etc required is almost comical, I basically just give up and look at other places. It's fine on a tablet but that's a whole different ballpark. I don't see phones getting 10" screens any time soon so I think its a worthwhile investment. As JD pointed out, its probably a better idea to update the site in general for readability on more devices. This sort of thing will start to affect page rank and ad revenue eventually. Blue has been updating the site by hand using Frontpage 2000 and the base its built on is like 20 years old. It's easier said than done but the site really needs an update in general, the actual layout can be preserved anyway.

Hmm my phone is nothing amazing, it's a 3 year old Droid Bionic with these display stats: 4.3-inch 960 × 540 px qHD at 256 ppi. I turn it sideways, double tap the text and everything is very nice and comfortable. I read Blues just about every day while I wait in line for lunch or waste time at work like waiting on something on my PC that can't be interrupted/multitasked.

edit: Here's a screenshot. I suppose I do have to nudge slightly over to read the quoted bits but it's not a big deal. If I manually adjusted the zoom it would be even better but this is just the quick and easy double tap. And you see my display stats, they're quite a bit under what's more commonly offered nowadays (or at least what I would get).

This comment was edited on May 27, 2014, 22:09.

May 27, 2014, 18:07
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 18:07
May 27, 2014, 18:07

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2014, 00:27:
On the one hand, you have a good point. On the other hand, current websites are built using responsive web design so that they automatically adjust to the screensize

If Blue redesigns using "responsive web design", I won't be sticking around. Most of those sites look terrible on desktops, which is where I do most of my browsing. There's always massive amounts of wasted white space, huge fonts that I have to manually shrink, and ridiculously narrow fixed width columns. See beta.slashdot, or io9.com for some recent examples. Here's a site I ran across just this morning:

http://ryanfrantz.com/posts/alert-design/

May 27, 2014, 09:26
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 09:26
May 27, 2014, 09:26

Blue might as well wait it out at this point. Phones with bigger screens and better resolution don't really need specially formatted mobile sites anymore. I find myself more often than not searching for the Desktop link because I find mobile versions of sites to usually be very lacking or non-intuitive.

Eh I don't know, This site looks pretty awful on my phone which has a huge screen and a decent resolution. All of the zooming and etc required is almost comical, I basically just give up and look at other places. It's fine on a tablet but that's a whole different ballpark. I don't see phones getting 10" screens any time soon so I think its a worthwhile investment. As JD pointed out, its probably a better idea to update the site in general for readability on more devices. This sort of thing will start to affect page rank and ad revenue eventually. Blue has been updating the site by hand using Frontpage 2000 and the base its built on is like 20 years old. It's easier said than done but the site really needs an update in general, the actual layout can be preserved anyway.

thats like a speck of dust on the tip of the iceberg

Hmm?

the truth is out there
May 27, 2014, 02:00
the truth is out there May 27, 2014, 02:00
May 27, 2014, 02:00

Verno wrote on May 26, 2014, 13:40:
Another user here opened my eyes to corn subsidies, the willful ignorance towards HFCS isn't surprising considering how much money is involved.

thats like a speck of dust on the tip of the iceberg

May 27, 2014, 00:58
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 00:58
May 27, 2014, 00:58

jacobvandy wrote on May 27, 2014, 00:56:
Chrome will automatically format text for you on any website, I doubt any sort of investment like that will be worth it for this one.

So does the WP8 version of IE. I have zero problems reading this site, other than the "Send News" header flickers between two text sizes as the page first loads.

May 27, 2014, 00:56
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 00:56
May 27, 2014, 00:56

Chrome will automatically format text for you on any website, I doubt any sort of investment like that will be worth it for this one.

May 27, 2014, 00:27
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 00:27
May 27, 2014, 00:27

Redmask wrote on May 26, 2014, 23:23:
The website also doesn't look very good on a mobile, a large chunk of the internet reads that way so that would be worthy of some development time. I tried the mobile link but it redirects to some antiquated format which is just strange.

On the one hand, you have a good point. On the other hand, current websites are built using responsive web design so that they automatically adjust to the screensize. Blue's site isn't really built that way. So even if my phone has a 1920x1080 display (which it does) it doesn't mean I can read Blue's News on it. I think his choices are:

1. Keep the desktop website the way it is and upgrade the mobile site to a simple, mostly text-based design that's easily scalable. (less expensive)

2. Redesign the entire website using responsive design principles so that it looks great on any device. (more expensive, but more future proof, and it's a 2-for-1)

For a current workaround, I find maxing out my text size for Blues makes it fairly workable.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

May 26, 2014, 23:30
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 23:30
May 26, 2014, 23:30

Redmask wrote on May 26, 2014, 23:23:
The website also doesn't look very good on a mobile, a large chunk of the internet reads that way so that would be worthy of some development time. I tried the mobile link but it redirects to some antiquated format which is just strange.

May 26, 2014, 23:23
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 23:23
May 26, 2014, 23:23

May 26, 2014, 21:09
nin
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 21:09
May 26, 2014, 21:09
nin

jdreyer wrote on May 26, 2014, 21:07:
m00t wrote on May 26, 2014, 18:43:
Blue, FYI, when loading the site on mobile I am frequently getting redirected to the App Store. Not just it opens the App Store but it takes me away from bluesnews to the dummy page that launches the App Store. Thought you should know

d.mobpartner.mobi/. Was the hostname if it's useful

I've seen the same thing often this year. Some of the sidebar ads automatically direct the user to the Play store. I have to reload the page a few times before I can get it to load properly.

I've noticed this in the past on my phone, but didn't catch the URL...

May 26, 2014, 21:07
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 21:07
May 26, 2014, 21:07

m00t wrote on May 26, 2014, 18:43:
Blue, FYI, when loading the site on mobile I am frequently getting redirected to the App Store. Not just it opens the App Store but it takes me away from bluesnews to the dummy page that launches the App Store. Thought you should know

I've seen the same thing often this year. Some of the sidebar ads automatically direct the user to the Play store. I have to reload the page a few times before I can get it to load properly.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

May 26, 2014, 18:43
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 18:43
May 26, 2014, 18:43

May 26, 2014, 13:40
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 13:40
May 26, 2014, 13:40

Another user here opened my eyes to corn subsidies, the willful ignorance towards HFCS isn't surprising considering how much money is involved.

May 26, 2014, 13:38
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 13:38
May 26, 2014, 13:38

and sincere hopes for a future with fewer dead soldiers to honor

Hear, hear. I'd also hope this would include virtual soldiers as well, since that would mean fewer Call of Duty games. Probably too much to ask for though.

May 26, 2014, 13:36
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 13:36
May 26, 2014, 13:36

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2014, 13:04:
Man, that Confab article is an eye opener. Particularly the link to the Princeton study showing just how bad HFCS is.

WOW. W.T.F. I guess the definition of "nutritionist" has changed since I was a kid. I had to double check to make sure this wasn't a story from The Onion. From the article:

As I wandered the exhibition hall, I saw that McDonald's wasn't the only food company giving away freebies. Cheerful reps at the Hershey's booth passed out miniature cartons of chocolate and strawberry milk. Butter Buds offered packets of fake butter crystals. The California Beef Council guy gave me a pamphlet on how to lose weight by eating steak. Amy's Naturals had microwave brownies. The night before, Sizzler, California Pizza Kitchen, Boston Market, and other chain restaurants had hosted a free evening buffet for conference-goers: "Local Restaurant Samplings for Your Pleasure."

And that wasn't all. The sessions—the real meat and potatoes of the conference—had food industry sponsors as well. The Wheat Council hosted a presentation about how gluten intolerance was just a fad, not a real medical problem. The International Food Information Council—whose supporters include Coca-Cola, Hershey, Yum Brands, Kraft, and McDonald's—presented a discussion in which the panelists assured audience members that genetically modified foods were safe and environmentally sustainable. In "Bringing Affordable Healthier Food to Communities," Walmart spokespeople sang the praises of (what else?) Walmart.

May 26, 2014, 13:04
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 13:04
May 26, 2014, 13:04

Man, that Confab article is an eye opener. Particularly the link to the Princeton study showing just how bad HFCS is.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older