WildStar Open Beta This Week

NCSOFT and Carbine announce that open beta testing of WildStar gets underway on Thursday, kicking off 10 days of testing of the upcoming sci-fi MMORPG to help pave the way for its official launch on June 3rd. Here's word:
It’s finally here! Open Beta will be starting on May 8th and we have all of the details how you can jump in on the action. From May 8th to May 18th, you will be able to visit our Open Beta page to request a key, and then hop into WildStar to experience content up to level 30. If you have already participated in any other WildStar beta event, including beta weekends and stress tests, you don’t need a new key. Just patch up, and you’re good to go!
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week
May 8, 2014, 07:53
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 8, 2014, 07:53
May 8, 2014, 07:53

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 22:00:
I was one of those who played WOW for many years, was in a very good guild and Raided all the time. I can tell you this now. 40 man raids Fuck that! Do you have any idea what it’s like to try and get 40 people together at one time?
Must have been a lousy guild. I also played WoW for many years including 40 man raids in vanilla. We raided 20+ hours a week and always had extra people outside the instance waiting to join the raid.

We were the first Alliance guild to kill Nefarian on our server. One of my best memories of the game -- it happened two hours after the normal end time of the raid (2 am for me) only had 38 people, and 8 of them were second stringers, including me. I was so pumped I didn't sleep that night.

So, it can be done but I do agree it's no small task.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 7, 2014, 11:54
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 7, 2014, 11:54
May 7, 2014, 11:54

This thread was informative!

Also I'm hearing reports that the content below level 32 is far more tested/polished than above. So I'm concerned about buying it based on the earlier levels right now. Waiting to hear reports.
Perpetual debt is slavery.

May 7, 2014, 08:49
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 7, 2014, 08:49
May 7, 2014, 08:49

Hehe, hardcore MMO.... ya.... the only "hardcore" MMO i ever played that lived up to that moniker is Shadowbane. God i loved that game. It had its faults, but the economy and open world PVP was something to marvel at. Defending and attacking guild built cities with hundreds of guilds to each side to form alliances. Those memories wont be toppled soon.

May 7, 2014, 04:52
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 7, 2014, 04:52
May 7, 2014, 04:52

InBlack wrote on May 7, 2014, 04:00:
Does it have permadeath? No?

Sorry. Not hardcore enough. The only type of MMO I would even consider playing today would be one with permadeath, you kids think Vanilla Wow was hardcore...Hhahahhahah

Wizardry Online had (game was closed) permadeath, which was pretty awesome (they had plenty of ways around it, though). I don't consider vanilla WoW to be anywhere near hardcore, stated that in various ways, I said relatively hardcore. Relative to what the game became afterwards, relative to other MMOs that came after its release, etc. Wildstar (like vanilla WoW) is merely a balance between hardcore and casual.

May 7, 2014, 04:00
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 7, 2014, 04:00
May 7, 2014, 04:00

Does it have permadeath? No?

Sorry. Not hardcore enough. The only type of MMO I would even consider playing today would be one with permadeath, you kids think Vanilla Wow was hardcore...Hhahahhahah
I have a nifty blue line!

May 6, 2014, 23:18
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 23:18
May 6, 2014, 23:18

It's definitely two different markets. People tend to think the market Wildstar is going for is less saturated but I'm not so sure I'd agree. There are plenty of hardcore, raiding-centric MMOs out there, they just don't always get a lot of attention. Certainly Wildstar does it well and is more polished than most so I can understand why people like that. Again, I think it leans a bit to the easier side if anything, which is what vanilla WoW did so well.

These same people think that ESO's market is the more saturated one, that is to say the "theme park MMO" market that caters to casuals. The problem is that hardcore games are always niche and furthermore, when they do get popular (vanilla WoW again), you have the top 10% arguing for changes that encourage min/maxing which slowly but surely pushes the other 90% out of the loop. The developers are forced to make the game easier over time (backfiring) in response to build optimization.

ESO made it clear from the get go that it wasn't going to follow that mode. Statements were made directly in reference to not catering to this hardcore crowd. You already see VR10's (I am a VR10 myself) complaining that the game is too easy and that the soft caps suck. Of course the game is too easy...it's meant to be balanced for tons of different builds, which the soft caps allow more room for because it's hard to optimize a given build. So it's not really the same theme park MMO experience that people like to paint it as, it's just avoiding the pitfalls that most of them do, IMHO.

That being all said, both games have their place...I would have chosen Wildstar ten years ago, but today I prefer ESO. I understand some people like the hardcore raid experience...fine...but not every game has to be like that. You have Wildstar. I understand you hate theme park MMO's, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement with them. There's a demand for both types of games and again I'm not convinced either market is over-saturated...people just tend to stick to one MMO.

May 6, 2014, 22:57
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:57
May 6, 2014, 22:57

Cool, then it sounds like 2 different markets. I am fine with that. But don't just say one is better than the other. I look at Wildstar and I say "why are people playing a 10 year old game?".

go for it. Less bitching in my ESO chat.....

May 6, 2014, 22:19
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:19
May 6, 2014, 22:19

If the game chatter, Wildstar subreddit and the official forums are any indication.. people want to run 40mans again, myself included.

People are modding for this game, making user maps, databases, build matrices, number crunching, data mining.. this game has a FULL suite of players behind it.. doing everything you'd want a community to do.. it's awesome! As I scour the PvP server forum, there are a lot of hardcore raiding guilds looking to build their ranks.. so far, it looks like this game will have the right population with the right mindset.

This game is NOT for casuals who want to be carried, get free gear, and do everything with little effort.. this game is weeding out the punkasses that cried and complained that they wanted to see everything, beat everything in WoW and thus, turned WoW into a walk in the park. Even coworkers i showed WS to said "I'm leaving WoW.. this game looks like the right fit" 'This looks tough, i want a tough game again.. with real accomplishments".. I'm with them, the devs said as much.. and they made the right game.

The game feels "right"...does it look like WoW a bit? yep.. is that good? up to you.. but I love the look, and think it works perfectly for the game type/environment.

I ran my first level 20 dungeon last weekend.. I was healing and holy hell was it tough! "trash mobs" are not trash.. in fact, we wiped on a few trash pulls, and more than once. It wasn't impossible, but it made you pay attention. No more sleepwalking your way through kiddie garbage content. The dungeon was built very well, flowed well, lots of side items, extras.. etc. We eventually cleared the dungeon, and i felt rewarded.. something I havent felt since our server first WoTLK hard mode kill..years ago.

Hard content aside, the every day goings on in the game were great. Side quests, path stuff, Adventures, random tough mobs, PvP, random elite mobs, world bosses, etc.. then if you're a PvP fan.. check out the Warplots videos.. that stuff looks awesome, and I'm not even a PvP fan! I love the idea of conquering raid bosses, then bringing them into your warplot to use against the enemy.. then, if your enemy has a raid boss, the two can duke it out..haha, awesome!

Crafting is damn solid.. works well. Professions are perfectly fine, and housing.. haha!! omg, that's something I never cared for in an MMO but I love it in WS. My coworker built a house, and put challenges in it. I completed a challenge and got loot for my house!

This game does all the little things right.

To the people complaining about getting 40 people together, we did it in WoW. That was a decade ago, and we did it before people really knew what the time and effort requirements were. We did it without many of the social tools we have today.. we did it without a lot of the gaming resources we have today.. and we'll do it again!

edit- Ps: if 20 or 40 man raiding isnt for you.. then... don't do it Go run Adventures, veteran dungeons, PvP, Warplots, regular dungeons, world bosses, crafting, questing, build a cool house, do challenges with your friends..
Just because the game has tough raiding content doesnt mean that's all there is. There's a LOT of game here in Wildstar. Keep your chin up, cupcake!

This comment was edited on May 6, 2014, 22:36.

May 6, 2014, 22:14
NKD
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:14
May 6, 2014, 22:14
NKD

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:43:
If that is the only thing people can say, it negates every single post that says "Wildstar is better than ESO"

F that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Wildstar is better than ESO" but they are making an MMO game for MMO players, with a specific focus, and aren't spending 11,000 billion dollars making SWTOR 2.0.

They are trying to make a (relatively) niche title for people who enjoy challenging group and raid content, it's as simple as that.

Judging by the response to Wildstar from within my own guild, where we've got two 40-man rosters nearly filled already just based on what people have played in beta, I can say they've managed very well to recapture the feel that a lot of us are looking for.

It's not particularly innovative, but it does what it sets out to do.

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 22:00:

I was one of those who played WOW for many years, was in a very good guild and Raided all the time. I can tell you this now. 40 man raids Fuck that! Do you have any idea what it’s like to try and get 40 people together at one time? It’s nearly impossible. You end up pugging it because you can’t find everyone. And it’s so fricking chaotic during battle and trying to coordinate everyone.

That is why WOW slimmed down the Raids to that they are now to make them manageable. Good luck with your 40 man Raids. Because that shit won’t last long you can bank on that.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how 40-man raiding worked. I also raided in much larger numbers than that in EverQuest. My guild skews significantly older than most of the MMO crowd so we've seen a lot and know precisely what we like and what we don't.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

May 6, 2014, 22:13
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:13
May 6, 2014, 22:13

Hahaha, I was a paladin in the initial 40-man raids and had to buff 40 people every 5 minutes without the aid of frames. That still wasn't as hardcore as many of my earlier MMO experiences but I have no desire to go back to that...

It's true, raids these days have been streamlined a lot. Even 20-man feels too large. The 12-man trials in ESO actually feel pretty much perfect (still only on PTS).

May 6, 2014, 22:00
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:00
May 6, 2014, 22:00

NKD wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:44:
Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:13:
So, I played this this past weekend and what a piece of shit game this is. Its fricking WOW in space for kiddies.

Warning: It's not really a good game for kiddies, they are focusing on group content, are bringing back 40-man raids, even a couple things that'll take more than a 40-man raid group to complete, supposedly.

I was one of those who played WOW for many years, was in a very good guild and Raided all the time. I can tell you this now. 40 man raids Fuck that! Do you have any idea what it’s like to try and get 40 people together at one time? It’s nearly impossible. You end up pugging it because you can’t find everyone. And it’s so fricking chaotic during battle and trying to coordinate everyone.

That is why WOW slimmed down the Raids to that they are now to make them manageable. Good luck with your 40 man Raids. Because that shit won’t last long you can bank on that.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

May 6, 2014, 21:58
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:58
May 6, 2014, 21:58

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:43:
If that is the only thing people can say, it negates every single post that says "Wildstar is better than ESO"

F that.

Anybody who says that with a blanket statement is full of shit, yeah. The only way it is superior is that it has a vanilla WoW feel to it that a lot of people miss. I admit being a bit nostalgic for it, myself - after playing the beta the best thing I had to say for the game is that it felt familiar and comfortable.

On the other hand, people constantly want something new out of a MMO and ESO didn't satisfy them, so I guess they figure that they'd rather stick with a facsimile of the old. If that sounds hypocritical, then...well, yeah that pretty much sums it up.

May 6, 2014, 21:43
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:43
May 6, 2014, 21:43

NewMaxx wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:32:
So, I played this this past weekend and what a piece of shit game this is. Its fricking WOW in space for kiddies.

In its defense, I think it's supposed to be WoW in space...that appeals to some people.

F that.

May 6, 2014, 21:39
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:39
May 6, 2014, 21:39

There are a lot of people who loved vanilla WoW, myself included, who left because the game got progressively easier. I actually left at the very first expansion because I was part of that 1% crowd. Every expansion saw more of the hardcore vets leave if they had any sense.

The problem is finding the right balance, because there are hardcore MMOs out there that work as a niche product (EVE), and the rest are more casual, theme park style. It seems Wildstar is shooting in-between those marks and will probably get some people from each camp, but at the end of the day it's not going to be a multi-million player MMO.

As far as the solo experience goes, I am definitely a big MMO player and have been since the advent of the genre and I love to solo as much as I can. I avoided voice outright until after WoW, actually, since I preferred a more intuitive style over barking commands. Nevertheless I have to say that to get the most out of a modern MMO, you absolutely need to play with others, it's just the way it is, and the more hardcore the MMO the more it is required.

May 6, 2014, 21:22
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:22
May 6, 2014, 21:22

The leveling curve isn't as fast as most modern MMOs, and with the focus on bringing back a "vanilla WoW" style of raiding, it'll be too hardcore for a lot of folks. Kiddies with attention deficit won't have too much fun in Wildstar, neither will the non-MMO players who insist on playing MMOs by themselves then complaining that they aren't having any fun.

Does anyone actually want that? I'd be genuinely surprised if they get actual old-school MMO raiding into the game and more than just the small poopsocking hardcore 1%'er crowd actually likes it.

As for the non-MMO players who play by themselves, eh. Whatever. I've solo played every MMO since the ones that you weren't supposed to solo, so I'd consider myself an MMO player. Just because you don't want to wait for 5 people to take a shit every time you pull a monster and then get yelled at for not pressing buttons in a specific order to the pleasure of a sweaty bastard on ventrilo doesn't mean you aren't a "real" MMO player. MMO's in general are a pretty casual market, the more you focus on the hardcore at the casual player's expense the less likely the game is going to go anywhere, or be worth playing in the first place.

May 6, 2014, 20:18
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 20:18
May 6, 2014, 20:18

Warning: It's not really a good game for kiddies

The leveling curve isn't as fast as most modern MMOs, and with the focus on bringing back a "vanilla WoW" style of raiding, it'll be too hardcore for a lot of folks.

Yep, this game is definitely not for kiddies...it's intended for the more hardcore audience. "Vanilla WoW" is a good way of putting it, although that was hardly hardcore, but relative to everything else these days...

May 6, 2014, 20:13
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 20:13
May 6, 2014, 20:13

the whole time I was playing wildstar I had to keep asking myself -- 'am i having fun?' re: wow in space -- not really much space element either. very cartoony vibrant color places..doesn't feel sci fi at all to me. feels more fantasy. only 4 classes, horrible user interface. typical cookie cutter mmo stuff.

I preordered and paid for a one year subscription.

then I started playing swgemu 2 weeks ago. I rediscovered it so to speek. hadn't played it for 4 years when it was just a zone. they have probably 90% of the game done now. I am an old SWG player and I am really happy with how far along the emu has come. I am enjoying swgemu so much that I haven't bothered to play in any of the beta weekend for the past 3 weeks. I'm going to keep playing swgemu.

needless to say, canceled my subscription. don't have any desire to play wildstar whatsoever.

May 6, 2014, 19:44
NKD
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 19:44
May 6, 2014, 19:44
NKD

Warning: It's not really a good game for kiddies, they are focusing on group content, are bringing back 40-man raids, even a couple things that'll take more than a 40-man raid group to complete, supposedly.

The leveling curve isn't as fast as most modern MMOs, and with the focus on bringing back a "vanilla WoW" style of raiding, it'll be too hardcore for a lot of folks. Kiddies with attention deficit won't have too much fun in Wildstar, neither will the non-MMO players who insist on playing MMOs by themselves then complaining that they aren't having any fun.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

May 6, 2014, 19:32
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 19:32
May 6, 2014, 19:32

In its defense, I think it's supposed to be WoW in space...that appeals to some people.

May 6, 2014, 19:13
Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 19:13
May 6, 2014, 19:13

Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older