Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Destiny May 7, 2014, 07:57 InBlack

Beamer wrote on May 6, 2014, 13:19:
Ozmodan wrote on May 6, 2014, 13:12:
No way are they going to earn back that much money on Destiny without a PC version. Kotick has finally flipped his lid. The idiots running this business.

Want to explain your reasoning for that one? There are more than a small amount of console-only franchises that have absolutely earned back that money.

I'd love to hear what your sales projections are, by platform; what they'd be for the PC; and what you think the additional cost of developing, QAing, launching and supporting PC are.

Oh, wait, you have none of those, you just think PCs are absolutely critical because it's your platform of choice. The idiots following this business...

For once I agree with Beamer. I have been flamed for it before so go ahead and flame again, but apparently crossplatform gameplay between consoles is supported. Apparently (I have no way to check this but the devs have stated this numerous times) the Destiny server infrastructure is very similar to EvE online, basically one HUGE server for everyone. This is fucking expensive, expensive as hell to maintain and run. Since they would have to build this backend infrastructure for the PC in ADDITION to what they already have it stands to reason that this, together with the stuff Beamer already mentioned, would be prohibitively expensive to do, especially in light of the humongous 500 Million dollar budget.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 18:23 The Half Elf

I enjoyed the Halo FPS games (even ODST), but from what I have seen of Destiny I have no interest in it. It looks like the Quarians from Mass Effect mixed in with Halo, and some sort of shooting XP thing that still doesn't make sense to me.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

15. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 16:31 Fantaz

jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2014, 15:15:
Here's the thing. When you invest that kind of money you have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately, it's blatantly obvious. As I've said in the past, it looks incredibly derivative. Combat looks boring, similar to Borderlands, but without the over the top violence that made that game fun. Designs are pulled from popular SF IP: there's the Predator looking alien, there's the Alien-looking alien, there's the giant floating spacecraft a la District 9, the giant spider-tank that looks like the Star Wars AT-TE. That tank looks super powerful, but poses little threat to the fireteams who take it out in under a minute, without even resorting to cover. Say what you will about BF4, but you sure as hell don't stand out in the open when an M1 tank comes around the corner. It looks like it would get very boring quickly. The environments look nice though.

you're dead on with that Star Wars AT-TE comparison.

but yeah, that $500 million budget for a single Destiny title is retarded. if it was that much budget for the whole 4 game franchise then it's understandable.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 15:15  jdreyer 

Here's the thing. When you invest that kind of money you have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately, it's blatantly obvious. As I've said in the past, it looks incredibly derivative. Combat looks boring, similar to Borderlands, but without the over the top violence that made that game fun. Designs are pulled from popular SF IP: there's the Predator looking alien, there's the Alien-looking alien, there's the giant floating spacecraft a la District 9, the giant spider-tank that looks like the Star Wars AT-TE. That tank looks super powerful, but poses little threat to the fireteams who take it out in under a minute, without even resorting to cover. Say what you will about BF4, but you sure as hell don't stand out in the open when an M1 tank comes around the corner. It looks like it would get very boring quickly. The environments look nice though.  

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

13. Re: Destiny May 6, 2014, 15:04  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on May 6, 2014, 13:19:
No way are they going to earn back that much money on Destiny without a PC version. Kotick has finally flipped his lid. The idiots running this business.

Want to explain your reasoning for that one? There are more than a small amount of console-only franchises that have absolutely earned back that money.

I'd love to hear what your sales projections are, by platform; what they'd be for the PC; and what you think the additional cost of developing, QAing, launching and supporting PC are.

Oh, wait, you have none of those, you just think PCs are absolutely critical because it's your platform of choice. The idiots following this business...

C'mon Beam, really? This isn't a niche title. It will sell hundreds of thousands or even millions on PC. The cost of porting something like this already developed for x86/AMD hardware is minuscule compared to the sunk costs, and the potential given the interest and install base on PC is huge. The natural home of the MMO is PC, after all. And the more mature PC audience is more likely to go for sci fi and give new IP a chance compared to the COD console kids. This game doesn't interest me in the least, and even I can see the potential.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 14:54  jdreyer 

HorrorScope wrote on May 6, 2014, 09:39:
"We shipped Halo: Reach with 150 people," Osborne told Polygon in an interview. "We've got about 500 now working on Destiny. It takes a lot of people, and a lot of smart people to make a game that measures up today."

Indies disagree. But if gfx is your only thing, perhaps there is more a point there.

Chris Taylor said it cost him $10M to make Supreme Commander and would cost about the same to make Kings and Castles. So basically, we're trading 50 Supreme Commander level games for 1 Destiny game.

11. Re: Destiny May 6, 2014, 13:49 Yosemite Sam

Destiny is whats going to get me to buy a PS4, this game is going to be sic. Great to hear how much resources are being put into it. Content was a concern, no longer, sounds like the play areas are monster huge.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: Destiny May 6, 2014, 13:19  Beamer 

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Destiny May 6, 2014, 13:12 Ozmodan

Maybe this will be the final straw to kick Kotick out of his office.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 13:03 nin

Creston wrote on May 6, 2014, 13:01:
Please. Also, that means it has to sell like 13-14 million copies just to break even. Good luck with that, Bobby.

Nod Devil

7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 13:01 Creston

500 million dollars. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What did they fucking spend that on? 490 million dollars of marketing, and ten million for development? The game looks alright, but five hundred million worth?

Please. Also, that means it has to sell like 13-14 million copies just to break even. Good luck with that, Bobby.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 12:23 Cutter

The real question is should it cost this much to make a game like this? And how good is it really if the marketing budget required is three times that of the actual development costs? Good things sell without advertising.

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 11:16  Beamer 

This all comes from Kotick saying "if you're making a $500 million dollar bet..."

Which doesn't sound the same as "we're spending $500 million on this one title." It could be the entire franchise, which is already signed to be 4 games.

And will people stop with the "Indies do just fine with no budget, AAA is all about graphics!" Have any indies done giant, open, 3D worlds like Skyrim? No. Because that kind of thing, beyond just graphics, is expensive as hell to do. Can we stop with the indie elitism and hating things just because they're expensive. Yes, many of them are stupid, but many of them are also excellent.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 11:11 Fly

Re: Destiny's $500 million dollar cost..

DLC's, cloaks, and gear for $2.99+ as far as the eye can see, incoming.

Honestly..in a game like Destiny and made by Bungie, I wouldn't mind. It looks absolutely fantastic. Just don't want to be barraged with Dorito and Mountain Dew ads before i log in. I sincerely hope vehicles, star ships, schematics in which to build them are on the way.

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 10:05 InBlack

HorrorScope wrote on May 6, 2014, 09:39:
"We shipped Halo: Reach with 150 people," Osborne told Polygon in an interview. "We've got about 500 now working on Destiny. It takes a lot of people, and a lot of smart people to make a game that measures up today."

Indies disagree. But if gfx is your only thing, perhaps there is more a point there.

Report: Destiny costs Activision $500 million to develop and promote

Hint! Hint!

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 09:41  Verno 

That figure seems utterly insane, even considering its an MMO of sorts.  

Playing: Hades, Bloodborne, Total War: Warhammer 2,
Watching: Captain Blood, VFW, Mississippi Grind

1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2014, 09:39 HorrorScope

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >