Sunday Legal Briefs

View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older
24.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 11:08
24.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 11:08
Apr 14, 2014, 11:08
 
Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 01:50:
And no, if the internet ended tomorrow it would be a rough adjustment but it'd happen. For a great many people around the globe the internet still doesn't exist. And even here there are plenty who don't use it or use it infrequently. Shit my brother is a total luddite. Doesn't even have an email account. Once in a blue moon he'll look at a sports site on his wife's tablet but that's it.
Would the world end? No. But a ton of jobs would, including mine. International commerce would take a huge hit. Obviously it could eventually recover, there was plenty international commerce prior to the creation of the Internet. Just out of curiosity, how old is your brother?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx
23.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 10:36
Beamer
 
23.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 10:36
Apr 14, 2014, 10:36
 Beamer
 
InBlack wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 04:15:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 00:02:
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:24:
Nin you are a coward, you troll every post that insults people, most of which you have on ignore.

JD, underhanded insults are ineffectual and just portrays the poster as insecure and ineffective. You think by making long-stretch analogies you are obscuring and being smart.

I stand by what I said, nothing else to add. You can stand by your statement about the internet:
"either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it."
while you compare its "essentially" to water and electricity...

The "people" can continue to think whatever they like about whoever they choose.

Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.

There is no way you can clarify it for Axis. No way at all, trust me on this. People like him vehemently oppose the 'liberal' government, yet they dont realise that this very same so called liberal government has been responsible for most of the deregulation of the marketplace. Something that Axis is supposed to be in favour of. (See Bill Clinton and his reforms)

go further back and look at the new deal. People like Axis would be happy if life were still The Jungle, even if they'd be the ones missing fingers. Free market! They deny it now, because it is status quo to them, but the ridiculous things they fight use the same arguments.
22.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 08:47
Verno
 
22.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 08:47
Apr 14, 2014, 08:47
 Verno
 
It always amuses me that people will often argue in favor of the very corporations that continually screw them at every opportunity and do not have the consumer in mind at all. Why not spend some energy defending the few corporations who actually serve the general public and their shareholders instead of pushing some strange political agenda? I will definitely be buying up infrastructure related stocks for the rest of this year knowing that stockholm syndrome is alive and well in the general populace to protect my investments.
Playing: Trials of Mana Remake, FF7R
Watching: Into the Light
Avatar 51617
21.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 05:45
21.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 05:45
Apr 14, 2014, 05:45
 
The government is the industry's (OIL, Weapons, Finance) little bitch. Liberal, Conservative is the kool-aid they use for the little people to take sides and squabble while they steal their rights bit by bit from them right under their noses.

This is not just the US government, but rather most 'democracies' in the world today that have bought into the free market capitalist bullshit...

We are all giving away our sovereignty. Our vote used to mean something, at least it had the power to scare the bejesus out incompetent and corrupt officials. Now it means jack shit. Less than jack shit since it doesnt matter if you vote left or right and even less if you vote for individuals who are sidelined out of mainstream politics for daring to say anything that doesnt conform to the 'allowed' talking points...

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2014, 05:51.
I have a nifty blue line!
Avatar 46994
20.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 04:21
20.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 04:21
Apr 14, 2014, 04:21
 
Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 01:50:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 00:02:
Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.

Why are you feeding that stupid troll? When the ignore function came in he was one of the first put on it by most everyone. When it's restored it'll be the same. Jesus, we need that back.

And no, if the internet ended tomorrow it would be a rough adjustment but it'd happen. For a great many people around the globe the internet still doesn't exist. And even here there are plenty who don't use it or use it infrequently. Shit my brother is a total luddite. Doesn't even have an email account. Once in a blue moon he'll look at a sports site on his wife's tablet but that's it.

There would be upsides to the internet disappearing too, you know.

*sigh*

I keep hoping people will look at things logically, and use logic to defend their opinions, instead of just spewing talking points or unsubstantiated opinions. I also know that the conservative psychology is fear based and physiological, but I believe that all people are capable of seeing and accepting practical solutions that are proven to work (Yes, I know there is research that undermines that too). But I also believe there's a learned component that can be unlearned or worked around if the phrasing is right. I was watching Cameron's new global warming documentary today, and was floored that everyone in Plainview, TX believed that the current half-decade drought was part of the natural cycle and not related to AGW (as we know it is). Now I can't believe that every single person in Plainview is a physiological conservative, so there must be a lack of info there that's causing this phenomenon. And where there's a lack of info, people can be taught. Hope springs eternal.

As far as the internet goes, the problem isn't what happens if the internet disappears, it's what happens if it DOESN'T. Already, many functions that used to be offline have become exclusively or nearly exclusively online: News, job hunting, house hunting, classified ads, photo printing, my kid's homework, maps, etc. Old analog methods of accomplishing these are falling more and more by the wayside each year. And many things can be done either online or offline, the offline process is vastly more complicated and time consuming, like taxes, traffic alerts, and movie rentals. So, the internet becomes more vital to our daily lives year after year, yet access to it is controlled by a small cabal of megacorporations which is a monopoly or duopoly in most markets. Just now I discovered this excellent article which makes all the same arguments I've been making. Axis is gonna love it.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
Avatar 22024
19.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 04:15
19.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 04:15
Apr 14, 2014, 04:15
 
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 00:02:
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:24:
Nin you are a coward, you troll every post that insults people, most of which you have on ignore.

JD, underhanded insults are ineffectual and just portrays the poster as insecure and ineffective. You think by making long-stretch analogies you are obscuring and being smart.

I stand by what I said, nothing else to add. You can stand by your statement about the internet:
"either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it."
while you compare its "essentially" to water and electricity...

The "people" can continue to think whatever they like about whoever they choose.

Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.

There is no way you can clarify it for Axis. No way at all, trust me on this. People like him vehemently oppose the 'liberal' government, yet they dont realise that this very same so called liberal government has been responsible for most of the deregulation of the marketplace. Something that Axis is supposed to be in favour of. (See Bill Clinton and his reforms)
I have a nifty blue line!
Avatar 46994
18.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 01:50
Cutter
 
18.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 01:50
Apr 14, 2014, 01:50
 Cutter
 
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 00:02:
Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.

Why are you feeding that stupid troll? When the ignore function came in he was one of the first put on it by most everyone. When it's restored it'll be the same. Jesus, we need that back.

And no, if the internet ended tomorrow it would be a rough adjustment but it'd happen. For a great many people around the globe the internet still doesn't exist. And even here there are plenty who don't use it or use it infrequently. Shit my brother is a total luddite. Doesn't even have an email account. Once in a blue moon he'll look at a sports site on his wife's tablet but that's it.

There would be upsides to the internet disappearing too, you know.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith
Avatar 25394
17.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 14, 2014, 00:02
17.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 00:02
Apr 14, 2014, 00:02
 
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:24:
Nin you are a coward, you troll every post that insults people, most of which you have on ignore.

JD, underhanded insults are ineffectual and just portrays the poster as insecure and ineffective. You think by making long-stretch analogies you are obscuring and being smart.

I stand by what I said, nothing else to add. You can stand by your statement about the internet:
"either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it."
while you compare its "essentially" to water and electricity...

The "people" can continue to think whatever they like about whoever they choose.

Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
Avatar 22024
16.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 23:50
16.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 23:50
Apr 13, 2014, 23:50
 
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 22:06:
Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:54:
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:58:
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.

How do you get a job without the internet?
How do you keep a job without the internet?

What a pampered and sheltered life you must live.

Think so? Cut your internet for 3 months. Let us know how it works out for you. It's non-essential, so should be no problem, right?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
Avatar 22024
15.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 22:32
Beamer
 
15.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 22:32
Apr 13, 2014, 22:32
 Beamer
 
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 22:06:
Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:54:
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:58:
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.

How do you get a job without the internet?
How do you keep a job without the internet?

What a pampered and sheltered life you must live.

But it's true. The internet has become the sole way a good amount of important information is transmitted.

Yes, obviously I'm talking more white-collar jobs. But I also am fairly certain you're someone that's used the term "Obamaphone" before, so I don't think anything would satisfy you as being important, other than water.
14.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 22:06
14.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 22:06
Apr 13, 2014, 22:06
 
Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:54:
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:58:
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.

How do you get a job without the internet?
How do you keep a job without the internet?

What a pampered and sheltered life you must live.
Yours truly,

Axis
Avatar 57462
13.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 21:54
Beamer
 
13.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 21:54
Apr 13, 2014, 21:54
 Beamer
 
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:58:
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.

How do you get a job without the internet?
How do you keep a job without the internet?
12.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 21:16
12.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 21:16
Apr 13, 2014, 21:16
 
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:58:
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.

Yeah, but that 3% would go slower and less effectively. While most of what goes on the internet IS stupid, the part that it hadnles well (it hadnles far more effectively than previous models.

It's killed video stores, music stores, and is killing video game stores. For communications, the internet is very powerful and an essential part of running many modern businesses.

Or do you want to call in an order for a supply store rather than place that order on line...
11.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 20:58
PHJF
 
11.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 20:58
Apr 13, 2014, 20:58
 PHJF
 
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.
Steam + PSN: PHJF
Avatar 17251
10.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 20:24
10.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 20:24
Apr 13, 2014, 20:24
 
Nin you are a coward, you troll every post that insults people, most of which you have on ignore.

JD, underhanded insults are ineffectual and just portrays the poster as insecure and ineffective. You think by making long-stretch analogies you are obscuring and being smart.

I stand by what I said, nothing else to add. You can stand by your statement about the internet:
"either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it."
while you compare its "essentially" to water and electricity...

The "people" can continue to think whatever they like about whoever they choose.
Yours truly,

Axis
Avatar 57462
9.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 20:03
9.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 20:03
Apr 13, 2014, 20:03
 
nin wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 19:10:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:58:
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:26:
Franken is one of the few liberal democrats I can stomach, admittedly because I have an appreciation for comedians. When he talks about serious matters, I can hear him laughing internally at all the gullibles out there lining his pockets.

Gov't control of media flow and connectivity is the greatest threat to free speech the country faces, not citizens who have a stake in it's businesses and a choice of which to support.

One Govt or thousands of corporations to choose from. Never choose government -- you'll lose regardless of your beliefs.

See, it's binary statements like that that make people think you're stupid.

Ding ding ding!

Hope springs eternal.

On the other hand, as Einstein said, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
Avatar 22024
8.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 19:10
nin
 
8.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 19:10
Apr 13, 2014, 19:10
 nin
 
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:58:
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:26:
Franken is one of the few liberal democrats I can stomach, admittedly because I have an appreciation for comedians. When he talks about serious matters, I can hear him laughing internally at all the gullibles out there lining his pockets.

Gov't control of media flow and connectivity is the greatest threat to free speech the country faces, not citizens who have a stake in it's businesses and a choice of which to support.

One Govt or thousands of corporations to choose from. Never choose government -- you'll lose regardless of your beliefs.

See, it's binary statements like that that make people think you're stupid.

Ding ding ding!

7.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 18:58
7.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 18:58
Apr 13, 2014, 18:58
 
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:26:
Franken is one of the few liberal democrats I can stomach, admittedly because I have an appreciation for comedians. When he talks about serious matters, I can hear him laughing internally at all the gullibles out there lining his pockets.

Gov't control of media flow and connectivity is the greatest threat to free speech the country faces, not citizens who have a stake in it's businesses and a choice of which to support.

One Govt or thousands of corporations to choose from. Never choose government -- you'll lose regardless of your beliefs.

See, it's binary statements like that that make people think you're stupid. There are some things the gov't does well, and other things it doesn't. I certainly don't want gov't making my cars. But I don't want competing free market corporate militaries protecting the country either. For things that require a single monolithic structure, like the highway system, or essential services like the sewage system, etc. it makes sense for that to be a government function. If you run those things privately, they will be monopolies and must be heavily, heavily regulated, like the electric company.

The internet has become essential to modern life. There is a strong argument to be made that it's the single greatest technology to rise to prominence in our lifetimes. Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it, as many old ways of doing things have been reduced in favor of doing them online. Currently, that technology is in the hands of a few unregulated megacorporations who keep prices high and service low in most markets because there is no competition (Notice what happens when Google fiber comes to town). And that the same ISPs are ALSO content providers is an inherent conflict of interest.

There are two choices here to prevent gouging, price fixing, anti-competition legislation, and other anti-competitive, anti-capitalist activities: either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it. 10 years ago ISPs spent 33% of their revenue on new infrastructure. Today it's 12%. That alone should tell you all you need to know about the state of competition in the industry.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
Avatar 22024
6.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 18:52
6.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 18:52
Apr 13, 2014, 18:52
 

Al Franken received one $5,000 donation from Comcast 5 years ago, and nothing since.

He has also received $15,050 from Comcast employees. I'm not sure that counts as they me be donations from employees who hate their own company :P.

Avatar 55452
5.
 
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Apr 13, 2014, 18:26
5.
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 18:26
Apr 13, 2014, 18:26
 
Franken is one of the few liberal democrats I can stomach, admittedly because I have an appreciation for comedians. When he talks about serious matters, I can hear him laughing internally at all the gullibles out there lining his pockets.

Gov't control of media flow and connectivity is the greatest threat to free speech the country faces, not citizens who have a stake in it's businesses and a choice of which to support.

One Govt or thousands of corporations to choose from. Never choose government -- you'll lose regardless of your beliefs.
Yours truly,

Axis
Avatar 57462
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older