The Elder Scrolls Online Launches

The Bethesda Blog announces the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the game is available for purchase from The Elder Scrolls Online Store for Windows and OS X. "We are grateful for the overwhelming response to The Elder Scrolls Online," said Game Director Matt Firor. "With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer. We couldn’t be more excited to get it into everyone’s hands." A new "Siege" cinematic trailer celebrates the news, and here's word, which concludes with plans for console releases down the road:
Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced that The Elder Scrolls Online is now available for PC and Mac at retailers worldwide and on the official online store. Developed by ZeniMax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online is the latest chapter in the award-winning franchise and brings the legendary experience online for the first time.

The Elder Scrolls Online allows gamers to choose their own style of play as they embark upon an epic adventure across all of Tamriel. Players can adventure alone on heroic quests as in previous Elder Scrolls games, explore the huge, rich world with a few friends, or join with hundreds of others in massive Player vs. Player (PvP) battles to save the Empire.

"We are grateful for the overwhelming response to The Elder Scrolls Online," said Matt Firor, Game Director of The Elder Scrolls Online. "With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer. We couldn’t be more excited to get it into everyone’s hands."

The Elder Scrolls Online was named Best Role Playing Game at E3 2013 by the Game Critics, a panel of leading North American media outlets, and is considered one of the industry’s most anticipated titles for 2014. The previous chapter in this franchise was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® which was released in November 2011 and enjoyed worldwide critical and commercial success. As the sequel to the 2002 Role-Playing Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind®, and the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, Skyrim earned hundreds of ‘Game of the Year’ awards and sold over 20 million copies.

In addition to today’s PC and Mac release, The Elder Scrolls Online is in development for the PlayStation®4 system, and Xbox One®, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft. The Elder Scrolls Online has been rated M for Mature by the ESRB For more information on The Elder Scrolls Online visit http://elderscrollsonline.com.

View : : :
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
Apr 4, 2014, 10:28
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 10:28

Got to put in some time late last night. Only problem I am having currently is "Your display driver has stopped responding" which I have had with BF3 and BF4. Had already updated drivers and received the error on the previous driver as well.

Otherwise, had a blast.

KS
KS

Well, bought it, hope springs eternal. Took all night to download via update/patcher. Lots of sliders in character creation, including vital hip, waist, butt, and boob sliders. You can pump her booty way up, then use the gut slider to get rid of her beerbelly. Face sliders (jaw, cheek, mouth) barely do anything.

Started tut with my char, it freezes for 5s every minute or so. I'll play with settings I guess.

Not sure if I'll ever play it or not, but congrats to the Dev's, quite an undertaking.

Apr 4, 2014, 10:32
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 10:32
Apr 4, 2014, 10:32

KS wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:28:
Well, bought it, hope springs eternal. Took all night to download via update/patcher. Lots of sliders in character creation, including vital hip, waist, butt, and boob sliders. Face sliders (jaw, cheek, mouth) barely do anything.

Started tut with my char, it freezes for 5s every minute or so. I'll play with settings I guess.

What I usually do to make a char is use the randomize button until I find the look that I like. After that I fine tune it from there.

Yep, were having lots of fun exploring the world. it’s fun to find random mines and caves to wonder around in. If you are looking to get your lock picking skills up, find a river, they seem to like putting a lot of chest around rivers.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Apr 4, 2014, 10:47
KS
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 10:47
Apr 4, 2014, 10:47
KS

Darks wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:32:
Well, bought it, hope springs eternal. Took all night to download via update/patcher. Lots of sliders in character creation, including vital hip, waist, butt, and boob sliders. Face sliders (jaw, cheek, mouth) barely do anything.

What I usually do to make a char is use the randomize button until I find the look that I like. After that I fine tune it from there.

Yep, were having lots of fun exploring the world. it’s fun to find random mines and caves to wonder around in. If you are looking to get your lock picking skills up, find a river, they seem to like putting a lot of chest around rivers.

I know absolutely nothing about the game qua MMORPG. I am a sorcerer, can they lockpick or is it tied to the thief class?

Apr 4, 2014, 10:54
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 10:54

Somehow I doubt it KS, apparently there are classes with skill trees in the game. (Which if you know even a little bit about ES games seems very lame) If your class doesnt have the skill, then its a no.
I have a nifty blue line!

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 10:54

KS wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:47:
I know absolutely nothing about the game qua MMORPG. I am a sorcerer, can they lockpick or is it tied to the thief class?

Anybody can pick a lock if they have the lockpicks. Just remember to let go of the pick when it starts to jiggle. That means you're at the sweet spot. I was an idiot and thought I was supposed to push past that, so I broke many many lockpicks.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:00
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:00

Lock picking is not class specific. Anyone can find a chest and as long as you have lock picks you can open a chest.

It takes a little getting used to on how it works.

Once you start, hold down the mouse button over a tumble, once it starts to jiggle, let off it should lock down. Then move on to the next one. Keep repeating on all five tumblers. After each successful lock it slows down the timer. But you still have to be quick, especially when you are trying to lock pick the intermediate and higher chest.

Trust me, it’s a little frustrating at first, but keep working at it, it really gets easy after the first 10 or so you find.

Here’s a tutorial on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpODBt4b5ik

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:00

I picked like 8 chests last night, as a sorcerer... I've heard mention of the 'lock pick skill', but I don't see it listed anywhere... The lockpicking UI is kind of neat... Definitely more interesting than Skyrim, though just as easy.

As for char creation... My wife spends an hour making a char, which didn't work well... Worked great on my PC, but then we got it on hers, and the char creation screen has fucked up lighting, so most of the character is darkened. Mucking with some settings helped, but didn't remove the issue. I went by her PC, and I'm like... pfft... good enough : )

My char creation process is step based... Mash randomize until I see a nice face/color/hair (as in, 0 to 3 randomize presses), remove scaring/tattoos/etc, maybe change the hair, and set height to minimum... Which backfired last night when my wife's char's head came up to my amazon's (only MMO female I've ever made) char.

As for the game... The skill system is very odd, and concerns me, and the combat isn't as bad as Skyrim's, but still a little too clunky. Otherwise, voice acting for every quest, and every flavor/useless NPC is... interesting. The minimalistic UI concerns me... I like features, and numbers... We'll see how things go over the month.

-Alamar

Apr 4, 2014, 11:04
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:04
Apr 4, 2014, 11:04

Cool trailer. I would pay to see this as a whole movie.
“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Apr 4, 2014, 11:09
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:09
Apr 4, 2014, 11:09

Alamar, you might be interested in checking out Wykkyds mod for ESO. its a very nice UI mod and much more. It has a ton of features to turn on and off.

http://www.curse.com/teso-addons/teso/wykkyds-framework

Apr 4, 2014, 11:13
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:13
Apr 4, 2014, 11:13

I've been enjoying the game. They really improved things by making those two starter islands not mandatory.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:14
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:14
Apr 4, 2014, 11:14

If you guys want to add me I made "BluesNews Pact" - it is an Ebonheart guild.

@xXBatmanXx

Apr 4, 2014, 11:25
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:25
Apr 4, 2014, 11:25

With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer play an MMO for free to see if it's any good.

Let us know how many people subscribe after their first month is over.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:28
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:28
Apr 4, 2014, 11:28

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:25:
With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer play an MMO for free to see if it's any good.

I'd say very few. It's obvious that World of Warcraft was a unique case. I like this game, but I don't see any reason why this one will buck the trend.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:40
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:40
Apr 4, 2014, 11:40

I was one of the people who bought one of the original 3000 copies of Arena, and have been playing MMO's since early 90's, so buying ESO was a no brainer. My only real criticism so far is the FOV...seriously, do the developers even play videogames?! Who in their right mind thought "Gee, 60 FOV sounds perfect!" Really makes me question their sanity. I hear a slider is coming, but in my opinion the game should have been 1st person only. I don't even care if I am at a PvP disadvantage, I refuse to use anything but 1st person.

Like any new MMO, I see people in chat complaining about things not "being like WoW". I hope to god the developers don't start catering to them, because ever since WoW the MMO industry has been a steamjng pile of crap, games like Ultima Online and Asheron's Call were superior but since 90% of players started with WoW, their greatness has been mostly forgotten.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:44
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:44
Apr 4, 2014, 11:44

Like any new MMO, I see people in chat complaining about things not "being like WoW".

I find the gaming experience a lot more enjoyable by creating a new tab naming it "Quiet" and unchecking "Yell" and "Zone".

Apr 4, 2014, 11:45
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:45
Apr 4, 2014, 11:45

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:25:

True, but they see those five million as a good benchmark to gauge market size and interest. It wasn't a year+ long open beta like PoE or something so IMO that's a rather good number - 5 million. Also shows that PC is still a great platform to target for MMOs.

IMO the beta, as it was done, was sort of a mistake. The bugs were off-putting. They should have had a staggered, three day free pre-launch trial for everyone, or something.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:46
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:46
Apr 4, 2014, 11:46

JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:40:
My only real criticism so far is the FOV...seriously, do the developers even play videogames?!

Yes, but they play them on shitty consoles that can't handle a higher FOV at a decent resolution...

Though I'd be surprised if the PS4 can't just run this at 90FOV @ 1080p with a decent framerate, because visually it really isn't all that spectacular.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:48
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:48
Apr 4, 2014, 11:48

LittleMe wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:45:
True, but they see those five million as a good benchmark to gauge market size and interest.

But is it really? Anyone who likes MMOs basically signs up for just about every beta around, because why not? You get to try new MMO # 12345 for free and see if you like it, even if you really very little interest in it.

Most betas get millions of "interested" people, and I'm pretty sure it's just the same group of millions that like MMOs and just want to try them all out.
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer