Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned

The Battlefield Blog has word that DICE has finally come to the realization that they are "unhappy with our server performance," as they promise to look into issues causing rubber-banding (players repeatedly snapping back to a previous position on the map due to Internet lag) issues in Battlefield 4, their military shooter sequel. Word is:
We wanted to provide a quick update on the issues with Battlefield 4 “rubber banding” that some players on certain platforms have experienced during matches with 64 players.

Looking into this further, we’re unhappy with our server performance, so we’ll be upgrading the hardware as soon as possible, investing more to deliver a better experience.

As soon as we know the exact timetable, we’ll let you know the ETA. Reducing lag for these players is absolutely a top priority for us to solve and we expect to have the solution very soon.

Stay tuned to our official channels for more information.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned
Apr 3, 2014, 14:06
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 3, 2014, 14:06
Apr 3, 2014, 14:06

Tumbler wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 16:38:
The game works ok now but I struggle to have any fun when I play. Loaded it up the other night to try this mode and it doesn't change much. Doesn't feel like titan mode in 2142 to me. It plays like the conquer mode where you take the check points but instead of a number ticking down it's a picture of your carrier. When that runs out the carrier is breached. You can parachute down over the carrier at that point but it's not a very interesting thing to fight over.

I remember Titan mode in 2142 has AA guns, you had to fly a drop ship over, there were crazy fire fights. This feels tacked on. The carrier feels open and empty in most places. It doesn't feel like a carrier or even a large naval ship when you're inside. The geometry is extremely simple. Large box like open areas, long square corridor. It's dull and empty.

I'll give it another shot but so far pretty lame. It's what you'd expect from a studio that doesn't care about this franchise anymore. All the dlc's been shit in my opinion. The core maps are decent but everything beyond that lacks that same quality.

My gut is saying that as soon as DICE got that Battlefront licensed deal they just said, "Fuck BF4, everyone start working on this. Put a bow on it and ship it, that thing is done."

well said, I have to approach most matches as a single player sandbox game to have fun.

Appalled that new titles keep taking backwards steps and that half backed basic features from the 90s are sold as dlc...

Someone needs to kickstart a pc fps and inject life into the genre like Chris Roberts did with SC for space sims.

Apr 3, 2014, 06:53
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 3, 2014, 06:53
Apr 3, 2014, 06:53

I didn't play 2142 but my friend I play with did and he had the same statement. I guess there were more objectives in 2142 to destroy on the titans and they could be attacked simultaneously. The way DICE implemented this mode into BF4 does feel really tacked on. It's especially dumb that you can just spawn on the enemy carrier once is open, or recon put down spawn becons. The fights for the ships don't last very long and it's just a bunch of grenade spam. Getting to the ship to get in seemed like half the fun in 2142, so not sure why DICE felt the need to eliminate that.

Apr 2, 2014, 16:38
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 16:38
Apr 2, 2014, 16:38

The game works ok now but I struggle to have any fun when I play. Loaded it up the other night to try this mode and it doesn't change much. Doesn't feel like titan mode in 2142 to me. It plays like the conquer mode where you take the check points but instead of a number ticking down it's a picture of your carrier. When that runs out the carrier is breached. You can parachute down over the carrier at that point but it's not a very interesting thing to fight over.

I remember Titan mode in 2142 has AA guns, you had to fly a drop ship over, there were crazy fire fights. This feels tacked on. The carrier feels open and empty in most places. It doesn't feel like a carrier or even a large naval ship when you're inside. The geometry is extremely simple. Large box like open areas, long square corridor. It's dull and empty.

I'll give it another shot but so far pretty lame. It's what you'd expect from a studio that doesn't care about this franchise anymore. All the dlc's been shit in my opinion. The core maps are decent but everything beyond that lacks that same quality.

My gut is saying that as soon as DICE got that Battlefront licensed deal they just said, "Fuck BF4, everyone start working on this. Put a bow on it and ship it, that thing is done."

Apr 2, 2014, 16:21
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 16:21
Apr 2, 2014, 16:21

I'm so glad I still haven't bought this game.

Apr 2, 2014, 15:36
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 15:36
Apr 2, 2014, 15:36

Battlefield 4 is the only game that I have encountered where the developer consistently introduces a new bug with each patch that is issued that resolves other bugs.

Sometimes, they even manage to re-introduce old bugs that were solved months prior.

Basically, I'm saying that DICE is a piss-poor developer, and they make it harder and harder for me to want to keep buying their games.

And this doesn't even take into account how hopelessly unbalanced some game modes and maps are in the game.

Apr 2, 2014, 15:11
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 15:11
Apr 2, 2014, 15:11

Shineyguy wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:01:
If you're not touching something to do with that code, how the f*ck do you break it?

Sometimes I think that it's my full time job to ask people that question.

You don't have just one person doing the coding for a big project, it's more like dozens of them or even hundreds if you count all of the external libraries and tool kits used. And each one of them is busy checking out bits and pieces of the source code, modifying them and then checking them back in. In theory it works perfectly and allows everyone to do their own thing without stepping on one another's toes.

In reality it usually leads to people checking out code and then sitting on it, building their own private branches and then merging about 50% of what they do with the main branch whenever they feel like it, applying last minute fixes directly to the final build without ever committing them to source control, overwriting or undoing changes made by other developers and generally making a mess of things.

So you may launch with a "gold" version of a program, built directly from the main branch, only to replace it with a "fixed" version which comes from one developer's branch, followed by another "fixed" version from a second developer's branch which never received the first set of fixes and reintroduces all of the original bugs, and so on and so on until nobody has any idea of what fixes were applied and where they are now. The only solution to this sort of problem seems to be using Klingon pain sticks on anyone who doesn't check their code in correctly. For first offences the QA testers who discovered the regression problem can perform the ceremony while for repeat offenders you need to call in the end users who were affected by it.

Apr 2, 2014, 13:58
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 13:58
Apr 2, 2014, 13:58

I've seen some bugs, but none that are critically game breaking. Some are funny, just death by jumping over a fence. Imo, the game isn't as broken as many seem to make it seem.

Apr 2, 2014, 12:27
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 12:27
Apr 2, 2014, 12:27

Wildone wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:05:
wow cool so it works for you, everyone else must be bat shit crazy! kk

If it works for no one but the OP (leave my family out of it) how's come there are a lot more people than just the OP playing? Do you think it is possible that things are overstated as well?

Apr 2, 2014, 12:25
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 12:25
Apr 2, 2014, 12:25

Shineyguy wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 11:10:
Nope, kill cam is still f*cked.

I've had plenty of issues, all due to DICE's shoddy programming of the game. Every time they patch something out, they introduce NEW bugs. I honestly have no idea how they manage to do that on a regular basis.

I support software for a living and can tell you that this is pretty much the way things work. Programming isn't as simple as most people dream it to be, especially when you're dealing with highly complex programs such as this or enterprise software. That said, if you don't invest in QA, these issues eventually get spotted out in the field when they should have been spotted internally.

Apr 2, 2014, 12:05
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 12:05
Apr 2, 2014, 12:05

wow cool so it works for you, everyone else must be bat shit crazy! kk

Apr 2, 2014, 12:01
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 12:01
Apr 2, 2014, 12:01

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 11:29:
With OP. As I've read thread after thread, ping'd son 6 feet apart. "How's your BF4 exp been"". "Good so far." "Really? People online are raging". "Every so often I get bounced from a server but that's about it, nothing different than most games".

I'm not saying people don't have problems, I'm not saying there aren't some issues. All games imo have some sort of issues, "Killcam Issue?", I wouldn't make that much an issue at all towards the overall game.

So mileage varies, on this end the game has been satisfactory for months. (Intel/NVidia setup)

Except it's something that was working, until they broke it with a patch that was supposed to fix other, unrelated issues.

If you're not touching something to do with that code, how the f*ck do you break it?

Apr 2, 2014, 11:29
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 11:29

With OP. As I've read thread after thread, ping'd son 6 feet apart. "How's your BF4 exp been"". "Good so far." "Really? People online are raging". "Every so often I get bounced from a server but that's about it, nothing different than most games".

I'm not saying people don't have problems, I'm not saying there aren't some issues. All games imo have some sort of issues, "Killcam Issue?", I wouldn't make that much an issue at all towards the overall game.

So mileage varies, on this end the game has been satisfactory for months. (Intel/NVidia setup)

Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 11:29

they are "unhappy with our server performance," as they promise to look into issues causing rubber-banding (players repeatedly snapping back to a previous position on the map due to Internet lag) issues in Battlefield 4,

Blue the rubber banding in this case isn't caused by 'internet lag' but instead by the server not keeping up with client position updates, thus the server performance issue DICE is trying to address. The server gets out-of-sync with the player's PC or console if, for example, the server's CPU is over utilized.

Yes people think it's Internet lag but it's not, it's often server lag. As a player, it can be hard to tell what is causing rubber banding (or lag).

Most online games, to hide Internet latency, allow the client to go ahead and move even if the server doesn't process the movement information due to insufficient resources. This introduces rubber banding as a possibility since the client and server can get out-of-sync. The server will then warp the player back to where it thinks he/she is. That's the rubber banding..

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2014, 11:44.
Perpetual debt is slavery.

Apr 2, 2014, 11:15
Verno

Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 11:15
Apr 2, 2014, 11:15
 Verno

Killcam is retarded anyway.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Apr 2, 2014, 11:10
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 11:10
Apr 2, 2014, 11:10

Nope, kill cam is still f*cked.

I've had plenty of issues, all due to DICE's shoddy programming of the game. Every time they patch something out, they introduce NEW bugs. I honestly have no idea how they manage to do that on a regular basis.

Apr 2, 2014, 10:49
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 10:49
Apr 2, 2014, 10:49

InBlack wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 09:38:
Yeah its obvious that all those other people are talking shit, since the game works perfectly for you. Rolleyes

Gotta admit, you're quick on the shitposting. It's almost every thread, eh? It's pretty clear that the first post was only speaking of his experience, yet you extrapolated that to mean that he was denying it was happening for anyone else. Any idea why you'd do that?

Apr 2, 2014, 10:45
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 10:45
Apr 2, 2014, 10:45

Been pretty solid for me too. (Playing it on PC). I'm just wondering if they have fixed the faulty kill-cams yet? Really annoying.

Apr 2, 2014, 10:34
Quboid

Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 10:34
Apr 2, 2014, 10:34
 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 09:38:
Yeah its obvious that all those other people are talking shit, since the game works perfectly for you. Rolleyes

He didn't say anything about other people, just that these problems don't occur for everybody.

Apr 2, 2014, 10:32
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 10:32
Apr 2, 2014, 10:32

Techie714 © wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 09:34:
I've got over 230 hours in

Time to consider unplugging and personally developing.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Apr 2, 2014, 09:38
Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 09:38
Apr 2, 2014, 09:38

I have a nifty blue line!
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older