Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 11:13 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 04:25:
Uh oh. Ok after reading that interview, Im concerned. Anyone else notice how many times they try to shift focus from gaming to something they call the Virtual Reality 'Experience'? Yeah, looks like the faceshaft is going to be nice and deep.

No doubt they are talking more general now. But lets say the sale never happened. There was plenty of talk longterm that VR would go well beyond games and into all the same area's that are being talked about more since the sale.

If I can buy the device and install games ready for it and no other BS, to me that is the bottom line and to me it's the same. Names are of no matter, if you got the right product you got the right product.

I have on my PC, games and a link to Facebook. The two don't bleed into one another unless I pick Facebook games, which I've never even looked at. On the same system, totally walled from one another.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 11:09 HorrorScope

Fang wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 00:53:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 22:33:
Huge plans for VR? Uh huh, I'm sure it'll be as impactul and lasting as 3D, lol!

I think he is referring to this link that I posted in the main Facebook/Oculus thread:

Reddit Sony Leak

I think this leak on reddit is what motivated Palmer to sell Oculus, because they knew they couldn't compete with Sony due to their investment in software to run on it. Reading that, and it makes me want to go buy a PS4.

But yes, it sounds like Sony has huge plans for VR. I grew up with the console wars, and I welcome the coming VR wars!

And that it made Facebook a little nervous to.

16. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 08:42 gray

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 21:21:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:31:
$2B is just insane. $50M I could see, maybe even $100M given that they'd gotten something like $35M in venture capital. But $2B???

I'm beginning to think the 2 billion number is being misrepresented. Somehow I doubt Mark paid 2 billion for the company and it's more like he's investing 2 billion into the company.

It was an acquisition by a public listed company, misrepresentation would be a serious matter indeed.

MENLO PARK, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Facebook today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Oculus VR, Inc., the leader in immersive virtual reality technology, for a total of approximately $2 billion. This includes $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook common stock (valued at $1.6 billion based on the average closing price of the 20 trading days preceding March 21, 2014 of $69.35 per share). The agreement also provides for an additional $300 million earn-out in cash and stock based on the achievement of certain milestones.

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-20140325-01030

15. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 06:51 Numinar

InBlack wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 04:26:
Well to be fair, simulators fall into the category where you dont move with your body. (You drive a vehicle that moves but you are inside a fixed point in the vehicle)

This, the 20 minutes I spent on DK1 playing Lunar Flight (Atmospheric lunar lander sim) was some of the best gaming I've ever done.

I have been unable to touch LF since without VR, as it feels flat and bland when I used to really, really love it. I wish my friend hadn't sold that headset (At a profit, to pay for next revision).

I have also been thinking about Tie Fighter remake in VR... want... so... much...

14. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 06:06 eRe4s3r

This surprises no one, VR with full immersion presence enabling technology is the future market of entertainment by definition. We are still far away from a HOLO DECK but we are at least getting there with some speed now.  

13. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 04:26 InBlack

TheWitcher wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 03:19:
"Being in VR, running down the hallway in a first-person shooter while youíre actually sitting in a chair ó thatís too jarring for me. I canít really enjoy that. But being in a virtual experience where I donít move a lot, I can really enjoy that. The sense of presence is so strong and good that you really do believe you are in a virtual world."

Thinking2

Are they already dumping on the gaming?

Well to be fair, simulators fall into the category where you dont move with your body. (You drive a vehicle that moves but you are inside a fixed point in the vehicle)

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 04:25 InBlack

Uh oh. Ok after reading that interview, Im concerned. Anyone else notice how many times they try to shift focus from gaming to something they call the Virtual Reality 'Experience'? Yeah, looks like the faceshaft is going to be nice and deep.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 03:19 TheWitcher

"Being in VR, running down the hallway in a first-person shooter while youíre actually sitting in a chair ó thatís too jarring for me. I canít really enjoy that. But being in a virtual experience where I donít move a lot, I can really enjoy that. The sense of presence is so strong and good that you really do believe you are in a virtual world."

Thinking2

Are they already dumping on the gaming?

10. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 01:15 Beamer

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 21:21:
$2B is just insane. $50M I could see, maybe even $100M given that they'd gotten something like $35M in venture capital. But $2B???

I'm beginning to think the 2 billion number is being misrepresented. Somehow I doubt Mark paid 2 billion for the company and it's more like he's investing 2 billion into the company.

Do you understand the difference?
Buying something for 2 billion says it's worth 2 billion.
Investing 2 billion in something says it's worth more than 2 billion.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 00:53 Fang

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 22:33:
Huge plans for VR? Uh huh, I'm sure it'll be as impactul and lasting as 3D, lol!

I think he is referring to this link that I posted in the main Facebook/Oculus thread:

Reddit Sony Leak

I think this leak on reddit is what motivated Palmer to sell Oculus, because they knew they couldn't compete with Sony due to their investment in software to run on it. Reading that, and it makes me want to go buy a PS4.

But yes, it sounds like Sony has huge plans for VR. I grew up with the console wars, and I welcome the coming VR wars!

8. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 22:33 Cutter

7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 22:24 Stormsinger

They can spin it any way they like, but it'll be a cold day in hell when I consider buying one of these now. I'm not looking for more ways to do business with sociopaths.  

6. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 21:53 mellis

I wonder if Facebook will pick up that start-up that's produced the arm bands that read your electrical impulses and drive on-screen arms.

It's the Thalmic Labs: https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/ one I think

Edit: Infact - here it is coupled with the Oculus Rift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f_bAXHckUY

5. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 21:24 Spektr

Never thought John Carmack would end up working for facebook :/  

4. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 21:21 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 21:19 Shataan

All this buzzword nonsense, and STILL no actual Retail Version??? Ya gotta be kidding me.  

2. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 21:18 HorrorScope

The Sony statements Palmer released were very interesting. They are betting hugely in VR and Facebook can't afford to sit idle in case Sony strikes gold with this new tech. Sony seems to have mega huge plans in VR.

Reading the article and if you believe what is being said... this is probably for the best. Blue should link the Sony VR Roadmap. Interesting.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2014, 21:29.

1. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 20:31 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >