Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I need to work out a new headset for online gaming in case anyone has a good recommendation. This is for voice chat, and I don't really care if I can mix game sound, as I'm willing to let that play separately through the speakers. My main concern is comfort around the ears for someone who wears glasses, as my current headset is painful in this regard, so how the set is padded is probably as big a consideration as anything.

Earful of Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dig to China.
2584 Fibonacci. 2048 variant.
Media: Tumbleweed Tornado of FIRE!
Stuck Baby Moose Rescued from Gate.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 08:46 Tim1_2

Logitech G35s are quite comfy...I am a glasses wearer, and have no issues.  
Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 01:24 Sepharo

I'm the guy with the cheap G330.

edit: Whoa, the price hopped up $68.00 now. I swear I was getting these for $40-50 over the years.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 18:42 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 17:42:
Quboid wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 16:02:
Uh oh, Cutter's gonna be mad at you BobBob!

Not at all because my cans are effing sweet. And if you're gonna' drop the dosh on them, don't half ass it, buy something good, like Audio Technica.

Edit: I did a ton of research before I bought them and they kept coming back as the best for the pricepoint - and that they're in red is pretty cool too.

I'm sure you've got really sweet cans but please stay on the topic of headphones.

I thought you'd be mad at BobBob for recommending an Apple product. Aren't they the devil?

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 18:10 BobBob

Sennheiser is good but after awhile they just kept breaking on me. Okay, I'm sure it's my fault for tossing them around on bicycle rides. They don't seem to like sand much.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 17:49 Asmo

Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 11:17:
I use a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset with glasses and swear by them. you can't go wrong. or i know that Corsair over the ear headsets have pretty big soft padding, so you can go with one of those if u want.

The Corsair Vengeance headset is very comfortable (not a glasses wearer so can't comment on that) and has excellent sound/mic, but the longevity is shocking. All plastic construction along the pins that hold the cups to the headband = major point of weakness. My ones are currently held together by a collection of tape/zip ties after my son decided to try and put them on and managed to break one side comprehensively (mind you, that is after 2 warranty returns for random breaks during regular usage, at least Corsair has a solid warranty). They are also soundcard on board USB (so no sound card required).

Won't buy them again...

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 17:42 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 16:02:

Not at all because my cans are effing sweet. And if you're gonna' drop the dosh on them, don't half ass it, buy something good, like Audio Technica.

Edit: I did a ton of research before I bought them and they kept coming back as the best for the pricepoint - and that they're in red is pretty cool too.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 17:13 Yosemite Sam

I'm sure there are better headsets specifically for PC but I got these for Xmas a few years ago and I really like them.

I dislike headphones that rest on or go in my ears, these go over the ears and don't even touch my glasses. They are wireless, have an easy to use mic mute switch and sound pretty good. One thing I really like is a second volume control that allows me to adjust between game sound and voice sound so I can clearly hear what people are saying in game. The telescopic mic itself seems a little flimsy but it hasn't broke on me yet.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 17:05 Agent.X7

I just use my bluetooth phone earpiece for communication (Plantronics Voyager Legend) and my speakers for game sounds. If you don't have bluetooth built in to your pc, you can grab an Asus usb bluetooth adaptor for like $10 on Amazon or Newegg.

My new SB Z series card has a great directional mic for comms, but I have trouble hearing what people say back over my speakers with the game sounds.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 16:27 DG

shopping for a new headset myself, good luck blue all attempts at research were futile for me because reviews say conflicting things. Probably most consistent high scorer were Sennheiser PC360 but they're quite pricey.

Something I did pick up though was that closed-back cans are good for blocking external noise (i.e. for lan parties) but open-back is better for sound quality and not getting too hot. Other thing to watch is some process audio via the usb rather than use your soundcard and the 3.5mm jack.

If you intend to use speakers (headphones are so much better for positioning IMHO) then consider a desk mic (bit of a nuisance as you'll be quiet or loud depending where your head is) or try some designed for call-centre workers rather than gaming.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 16:02 Quboid

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 16:00 BobBob

Apple Earpods are actually very good sounding (definitely try them before you assuming they sound like the ones that come with the phone) and can take a lot of beating. Simply get an adapter that converts to PC.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

Then get something called a "Smartphone Headset to PC Adapter" (Google).

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 15:47 Quboid

(Edit: I was thinking of the Psyko 5.1's. They're out of production but there's newer models on the Psyko Audio website.)

There is a gaming headset which has a very neat design which might be more comfortable with glasses. I can't remember their name and I've never used them (I picked the G930's over them for last time I was headset shopping for wireless and price) but their reviews are very good.

It's a physical surround sound headset, but the drivers are in the headband and then piped to each ear. This puts the weight of the drivers on the top of your head, which makes the headphones more comfortable and may make them clamp your head/glasses less.

The positional sound is supposed to be very good as the pipes can take the sound to (for example) properly behind each ear so things behind you actually sound like they're behind you. This doesn't normally work with physical surround sound as all the drivers are much more beside your ear rather than in front or behind or where ever.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2014, 15:53.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 15:16 Hoop

Quboid wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 12:29:
I swear by my Logitech G930 headset.

This
Seconded
And they are not expensive ...love the 7.1
Great mic

Um .. Behind you...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 15:04 PHJF

If you don't care about money...

Sennheiser

Or a slightly less expensive older model...

That's for uncompromising quality from both the phones and the mic.

For something that's good enough, and fairly comfortable with glasses (very cushy pads), there's some stuff from Logitech

Personally I've had Sennheiser PC350 for years and they don't bother me when I deign to don my spectacles at the computer. Just make sure you get something with really fluffy circumaural earpads.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 14:19 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 13:32:
i dont know about Astro A40 headsets, if they're really worth $250 for a gaming headset.

You're basically paying for the amp and marketing IMO. I had to disassemble my buddys A40s since they were busted out of warranty and he was broke. I wasn't very impressed with the build quality and the sound isn't very good either. The best headset thats also reasonably priced for its components and works well with glasses are the Siberia V2s. I think he'd be better off with a nice set of plush pads from something like the Audio-Technica line but the Siberias are certainly much cheaper.

Blues situation is a bit weird though since I just noticed he said he doesn't care about sound since he might be using speakers anyway so really any old $20 around the neck headset or earbud mic would do the job.

had SR80s but unfortunately they died after cable connection was loose and sound stopped coming out of one ear.

If you ever run into this again and have a soldering iron, it's usually caused by a pulled wire or cheap solder and easy to fix.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2014, 14:29.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 13:52 Alamar

I know your pain Blue... Headphones, and more recently, 3D glasses... Not many are made with glasses in mind...

I use, and absolutely love, my SteelSeries SIBERIA v2 Full-Size Gaming Headset, about $90. I find them still comfortable after hours of use, and the sound is great... I don't use the mic often, but it works well, and hides away when not used, with a bendy arm so you can place it appropriately...

They're also durable... Have been dropped a bunch of times, with no issue, and now my daughter has been using them... They also come with like 9ft of cable, in two pieces... Meaning, if you're using a phone, it can go in/near your pocket, and if you're far away, the extra ~6ft is great, like for PC usage.

The only down side is that they're not adjustable. It has an 'elastic' band on one of the top pieces though, so unless your melon is ginormous, it should be good.

I would go to a BestBuy/etc and try some (this, and/or others) to get a good fit.

-Alamar

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 13:32 Fantaz

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 13:23:
I'm loving this thread. I have an old pair of Grado's I've been planning to replace and you guys are giving me some great starting points to check out. Kudos.

the problem with Grados is that if you use 'em a lot at the computer the foam cups disintegrate pretty quickly. i had SR80s but unfortunately they died after cable connection was loose and sound stopped coming out of one ear. i dont know about Astro A40 headsets, if they're really worth $250 for a gaming headset.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 13:23 NegaDeath

I'm loving this thread. I have an old pair of Grado's I've been planning to replace and you guys are giving me some great starting points to check out. Kudos.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 13:10 [SC]TherMight

NotOneOfUs wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 10:29:
My Astro A40s have been serving me damn well for years.

Pricey, but worth the cost.

Astro A40s. Every bit worth it. Built like a tank. Has attachments for consoles too. You can skip the mixamp to save cost.

I like "around the ear" "can" headsets for comfort of being able to play for hours without my ears hurting.

Do NOT buy Tritton. They crack apart if you drop them once.
I won't buy Turtle Beach again as they cramped my ears from the sides.
Plantronics are kind of like Toyota. They work but are cheap.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 12:29 Quboid

I swear by my Logitech G930 headset. They're comfortable for extended periods, although I haven't tried them with glasses.

They're wireless, which is a HUGE plus to me, and they have good sound quality (speakers and mic), although they're not in the same league as similarly priced wired headphones like from Sennheiser.

The virtual positional sound is decent; better than any other surround sound headset I've used, both physical (4 little speaker drivers per ear) and other virtual (1 driver per ear with emulated positioning). I don't recommend physical surround sound headphones; the drivers are too small for good sound quality, they're badly positioned and there is several times as many places to break as virtual ones. With virtual positioning YMMV but I find them generally more convincing for position than physical ones, and they sound better, last longer etc.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo