Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian Entertainment announces they are partnering with Paradox Interactive for the launch of Pillars of Eternity, their upcoming crowd-funded role-playing game. "This game would not have happened if not for the passion and generosity of our backers, and their faith in us to create the game they wanted," says Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart. "How we are developing Pillars of Eternity has not, and will not be, changed; we will deliver the game we promised to our backers, and we will deliver it this year. Having Paradox as a partner, with their expertise in independent games like Pillars of Eternity, lets us put all of our focus on making an incredible game." They offer a partnership FAQ for backers to address any concerns this may raise. Here's more:
Paradox will assume key marketing and distribution responsibilities for the title, which will support Obsidian by allowing them to concentrate entirely on development.

“When we signed this partnership we called it two independent players in the games industry supporting each other to stay independent by doing what we do best,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “The fans backing this game—many of us included—are looking forward to a classic RPG as envisioned by the designers at Obsidian, and that’s exactly what they’re going to get.”
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity
Mar 20, 2014, 15:26
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 20, 2014, 15:26
Mar 20, 2014, 15:26

Should be interesting. Hilarious it will likely be known as "PoE" :/
Yours truly,

Axis

Mar 19, 2014, 23:35
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 23:35
Mar 19, 2014, 23:35

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 11:13:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:09:
I like this pairing, paradox is aces in my book.

Clearly you didn't buy SOTS 2 and suffered their bullshit refund offer that was tainted by deceit and lies. Stranding us who believed in Paradox's word with neither refund nor working game.

Yeah, aces alright

Or how about dropping Support for Sengoku after 4 patches despite promising us that it will be supported for "years" ... funny how trust works in this business huh...

To me, Paradox is a worse publisher than EA.

Its true i didnt But for the strategy games i have played that paradox published i've been for the most part happy with their quality

Mar 19, 2014, 18:42
Cutter

Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 18:42
Mar 19, 2014, 18:42
 Cutter

No, I'm just sorta pissed at Obsidian and InXile atm. Grumble mumble.
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Mar 19, 2014, 17:41
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 17:41
Mar 19, 2014, 17:41

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:27:
I like Paradox too, but I'm opposed to this in principle because part of their whole rant about crowdsourcing to begin with was to avoid publishers. So we take the risk and Paradox gets to profit without taking any? Well in that case I'm changing my perspective from pre-purchasing an item to an investment in Obsidian in which I demand an ROI on said investment.

I believe that the deal is effectively that they are outsourcing delivery of physical goods to Paradox. Obsidian in and of itself is not a publisher, and so at some point someone who knows how these things work is going to get involved.

Similarly, do you have an issue with them distributing through GoG, Steam or any other digital store? Or should they only sell directly off their website and provide the executables that way? Because in this relationship, Paradox is a physical equivalent to GoG, Steam et al.

Mar 19, 2014, 16:45
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 16:45
Mar 19, 2014, 16:45

Just as long as we aren't forced to buy Spell Effects Packs, Outfit Packs, Horse Packs, Banner Packs, Sound Effect Packs, Portrait Packs....

Love Paradox though...CK2 and EU4 are great games.

Mar 19, 2014, 15:33
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 15:33
Mar 19, 2014, 15:33

what's wrong with paradox? I just want the game, so we'll get it. Obsidian is ace for their games, paradox is ace for their games. Paradox the Publisher has their development studio also known as "paradox development studio" that makes tons of strat games.

EA ain't the publisher. That's solid in my book.

Hardly any of these 'crowdcource' games make 40 million like Robert Space Industries to be their own publisher. Regardless, they have to partner with someone to pay for distributing the game, there are good and bad publishers.

Mar 19, 2014, 12:48
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 12:48
Mar 19, 2014, 12:48

Put whatever name on it you want, as long as Paradox doesn't have any control over the content of the game, or any influence on release dates, I could care less. If Obsidian is just hiring somebody to get the game out the door when they are done with it, more power to them. This might be the future of "publishers" anyway.

Oh, and I can't wait for this damn game!

Mar 19, 2014, 12:08
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 12:08
Mar 19, 2014, 12:08

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:27:
I like Paradox too, but I'm opposed to this in principle because part of their whole rant about crowdsourcing to begin with was to avoid publishers. So we take the risk and Paradox gets to profit without taking any? Well in that case I'm changing my perspective from pre-purchasing an item to an investment in Obsidian in which I demand an ROI on said investment.

I understand your point, but I don't think it really needs to change a backer's perspective. I've always considered myself an investor in any kickstarter, just like any other business I invest in. The ROI for backing Pillars is getting a game worth more to me than the total sum invested. If partnering with Paradox allows Obsidian to produce an even better game with no additional cost to me, then that makes me even happier as an investor. And Paradox isn't entirely without risk here, they have to sink money into marketing and fulfillment preparations based on future projections. That's all upfront costs for them...

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2014, 12:44.

Mar 19, 2014, 11:49
Cutter

Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 11:49
Mar 19, 2014, 11:49
 Cutter

From the website....

"Corporate
Paradox Interactive

For over a decade, Paradox Interactive has been a leading global publisher of PC-based strategy games with a particularly strong presence in the United Stated and Europe. Its steadily-growing portfolio includes firmly established PC franchises such as the critically acclaimed Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings series of games, created by Paradox Development Studio, as well as the award-winning Magicka and Mount & Blade titles.

2013-2014 will play host to Paradox Interactive’s most ambitious lineup of titles to date with such anticipated releases as Magicka: Wizard Wars, Europa Universalis IV and War of the Vikings. It is also expanding its presence onto tablets and cross-platform gaming.

We work with renowned distributors worldwide and are present on all major digital download portals. We share a passion for gaming and gamers, and our goal is to provide deep and challenging games with many hours of gameplay to our growing 650,000 + member community."

So yeah, in their own words, they are a publisher.
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Mar 19, 2014, 11:32
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 11:32
Mar 19, 2014, 11:32

Seriously, people? This same shit was brought up back when inXile announced they were partnering with Deep Silver for retail copies of Wasteland 2. A distribution deal is in no way even remotely similar to the traditional publishing deal. They are simply paying for a service that they cannot provide for themselves. If you really think the whole point of them going the crowd-funding route is to avoid any and all publishers altogether, then the entire endeavor and their reasons for making it have flown completely over your head... Paradox is not a "publisher" here, they are a company with factories and warehouses. They are merely the physical equivalent of Steam, Humble, or GOG; should they not be dealing with them, either?

Mar 19, 2014, 11:13
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 11:13
Mar 19, 2014, 11:13

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:09:

Clearly you didn't buy SOTS 2 and suffered their bullshit refund offer that was tainted by deceit and lies. Stranding us who believed in Paradox's word with neither refund nor working game.

Yeah, aces alright

Or how about dropping Support for Sengoku after 4 patches despite promising us that it will be supported for "years" ... funny how trust works in this business huh...

To me, Paradox is a worse publisher than EA.

Mar 19, 2014, 11:01
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 11:01
Mar 19, 2014, 11:01

It does seem a bit odd since the part of the idea of the KS is to avoid publishing costs... but I'm not overly concerned.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Mar 19, 2014, 10:27
Cutter

Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 10:27
Mar 19, 2014, 10:27
 Cutter

Mar 19, 2014, 10:09
Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 10:09
Mar 19, 2014, 10:09

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older