Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims

A post on NeoGAF from Respawn Entertainment's Drew McCoy reacts to conspiracy theories suggesting that Titanfall's positive reception is the result of them bribing corrupt game journalists to favor the mech shooter (thanks OXM via VG247). Here's what he had to say:
Anyone who thinks we weren't living in the shadow of decade+ old established franchises at our reveal at E3 are as crazy as their conspiracy theories of anyone getting paid off. We've had to fight tooth and nail to have a game that anyone would even know existed, let alone be excited for and want to create coverage of. I get it that its not for everyone, but to say we're paying anyone off is downright insanity. Not to mention the height of insulting.
View : : :
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
Feb 20, 2014, 13:36
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:36
Feb 20, 2014, 13:36

I forgot another gripe I had while playing the beta.

There was zero team balancing going on in the matchmaking. Level 1 and level 14 accounts were consistently mixed together in matches... which is insanely unfair for new players and ego inflating for those who put more than a few hours in i'm sure. After one round all of the level 1's would leave, and all of the level 14's would switch to the same team.

What fun.?

Feb 20, 2014, 13:34
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:34
Feb 20, 2014, 13:34

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 08:42:
Anyone else get to test out the beta?
I've liked it quiet a bit but not sure I'll drop the money for the game at launch.
I really enjoyed it, and I don't even play online multi player at all, as a rule.

Would have pre-ordered by now if it wasn't for some ping issues. I don't have it as bad as the Australians, but I consistently couldn't get below 150 ping. That's mostly playable, but causes enough oddities to be frustrating (being killed through walls, unable to land kicks in a game where melee attacks are very powerful... stuff like that).

One assumes they'll scale up the capacity for retail, but I'm going to wait for some word of mouth from my fellow countrymen before taking the plunge.

Feb 20, 2014, 13:29
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:29
Feb 20, 2014, 13:29

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:29:
Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 11:56:
It's very possible that the game simply IS this good. I haven't played it, so I can't judge it. The videos make it look pretty decent, if also fairly standard pew pew pew hitscan multiplayer fare.

It's really just average to good IMO, some people here are playing it up way too much. I logged 20ish hours with the beta and thought the movement and general flow of the game is excellent but the hitscan weaponry is all samey, the AI grunts are a waste of space and I thought the Titans themselves were extremely boring to use.

I only saw the 2 beta levels so maybe there are better maps that would bring it up but it would be a low 80s game for me at best. Graphically its quite dated too and there are a noticeable lack of physics, deformation and other modern design aspects. Two titans battling might as well be a transformers cartoon knockoff, there is no external feedback or environmental impact. Someone on another forum likened it to characters fighting with nerf guns and that is pretty apt IMO. The game is at its strongest when you're just cruising around with the well implemented parkour elements and fighting actual people, not AI grunts or titans. Also using "AI" to describe what they have in that game is too generous, my coffeemaker has stronger AI. They are literally the dumbest bots I have ever seen in any game and they don't even work if you try to think of them as MOBA style fodder.

So yeah it's not a bad game at all and a decent exclusive for Microsoft to hang its hat on but it's not the OMG 95+ Metacritic circlejerk that you know is coming.

That is essentially all the AI was meant to be. Think of Titanfall as an FPS MOBA-lite.

You have to play Hardpoint to actually realize this though. When you play Hardpoint, they can capture the points (Just as a moba mob can attack/destroy a tower) so there is reason to actually kill a squad of them headed to one of your points. As well as the fact that killing them takes time off of your Titanfall timer (equivalent to getting gold in DOTA/LoL to get better gear)

It really is brilliantly designed when you think of it that way if you play Hardpoint. I can see where it's not as obvious on Attrition.

I spent most of my time with the game playing Hardpoint specifically because of this, that and having fodder AI truely gives you what I call the "Halo experience" in which your "Pilot" is essentially the equivalent of Halo's "Spartans". Where whenever you run by AI controlled squads they get excited and talk you up. It most absolutely adds another level of depth to what could have been an otherwise boring game.

I spent 9 hours straight one day playing it and not once got bored. I can't say the same for BF3 or 4, or any other FPS honestly since the original Modern Warfare.
-C22

Feb 20, 2014, 13:10
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:10
Feb 20, 2014, 13:10

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:43:
So yeah it's not a bad game at all and a decent exclusive for Microsoft to hang its hat on but it's not the OMG 95+ Metacritic circlejerk that you know is coming.

Not sure how well you were scoring on the leaderboard per game but if you think the grunts are useless and the titans boring, I'm guessing not very high.

haha classic

Feb 20, 2014, 12:56
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:56
Feb 20, 2014, 12:56

Verno, if I had to guess they had the AI on super-stupid mode to make the beta easier to play? I hope? If not... wow.

The most impressive thing about Titanfall is how they have completely butchered the source engine. Messing up the mouse input, AA and making it actually run like crap. Bravo!... ?! I love source, but this game needed to be done in Frostbyte with destructible environments.

Other than that? I found nothing impressive about this game at all. Just lots of insta-kills from guys you never saw coming. Maps are too wide open to avoid getting ambushed or attacked from your blind side because the mechs need room to maneuver. Also... The mechs can't jump? They can fall out of space but they can't step over a 4 foot high wall?! RIDICULOUS.

I was willing to overlook a lot and really wanted this to be fun... but... Giving everyone cloak and a homing pistol is just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a multiplayer FPS.

And then there's the viewbob. PUKE.

Unless there is another beta I suspect I've played the last minutes of this game I'll ever see.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2014, 13:37.

Feb 20, 2014, 12:50
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:50
Feb 20, 2014, 12:50

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 11:09:
007Bistromath wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:02:
I have not been paid to say that Titanfall is the best FPS that has ever been made

I 100% agree.
This is HIGH praise. Which makes me very skeptical of comments like this being made about a product still in beta. Best FPS ever made...mmmmmmm.....

Feb 20, 2014, 12:45
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:45
Feb 20, 2014, 12:45

It's very possible that the game simply IS this good. I haven't played it, so I can't judge it. The videos make it look pretty decent, if also fairly standard pew pew pew hitscan multiplayer fare.

However, Drew McCoy, the publisher who is going to be publishing your game is absolutely very well known for paying people for positive opinions (or making it nigh impossible to give a negative one.) In fact, they are in the news for such horseshit just about once a month.

So for you to get all uppity and pretend like you work for some kind of bastion of game virtue is really quite amusing. Why do people suspect that opinions on your game have been bought? Well, because it's happened before, frequently, and because gamers are getting a bit tired of constantly being lied to by the shitheels that infest this industry.

This is the environment you work in, an environment that many of your fellow workers in this industry helped foster. Welcome to the real world.

Here here! Well said.

Feb 20, 2014, 12:43
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:43
Feb 20, 2014, 12:43

It's really just average to good IMO, some people here are playing it up way too much. I logged 20ish hours with the beta and thought the movement and general flow of the game is excellent but the hitscan weaponry is all samey, the AI grunts are a waste of space and I thought the Titans themselves were extremely boring to use.

I only saw the 2 beta levels so maybe there are better maps that would bring it up but it would be a low 80s game for me at best. Graphically its quite dated too and there are a noticeable lack of physics, deformation and other modern design aspects. Two titans battling might as well be a transformers cartoon knockoff, there is no external feedback or environmental impact. Someone on another forum likened it to characters fighting with nerf guns and that is pretty apt IMO. The game is at its strongest when you're just cruising around with the well implemented parkour elements and fighting actual people, not AI grunts or titans. Also using "AI" to describe what they have in that game is too generous, my coffeemaker has stronger AI. They are literally the dumbest bots I have ever seen in any game and they don't even work if you try to think of them as MOBA style fodder.

Not sure how well you were scoring on the leaderboard per game but if you think the grunts are useless and the titans boring, I'm guessing not very high. The bots are supposed to be dumb because you harvest them to get titans. I guess the titan could be boring if you don't know how to pilot one well or if you just let it run around in auto mode. Also, if you logged 20 hours in 4 days of beta, that's 5 hours a day which is basically a part time job. Not sure how you deal with the cognitive dissonance of saying "I played this game like my job but it was only ok".

Feb 20, 2014, 12:29
Verno

Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:29
Feb 20, 2014, 12:29
 Verno

Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Feb 20, 2014, 12:04
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:04
Feb 20, 2014, 12:04

However, Drew McCoy, the publisher who is going to be publishing your game is absolutely very well known for paying people for positive opinions (or making it nigh impossible to give a negative one.) In fact, they are in the news for such horseshit just about once a month.

So for you to get all uppity and pretend like you work for some kind of bastion of game virtue is really quite amusing. Why do people suspect that opinions on your game have been bought? Well, because it's happened before, frequently, and because gamers are getting a bit tired of constantly being lied to by the shitheels that infest this industry.

This is the environment you work in, an environment that many of your fellow workers in this industry helped foster. Welcome to the real world.

I always enjoy reading your comments. I'm sitting here laughing at your colorful use of words and agreeing with pretty much all of them.
“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Feb 20, 2014, 11:56
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 11:56
Feb 20, 2014, 11:56

Feb 20, 2014, 11:09
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 11:09
Feb 20, 2014, 11:09

007Bistromath wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:02:
I have not been paid to say that Titanfall is the best FPS that has ever been made

I 100% agree. After playing the beta the game doesn't live up to the hype, it exceeds it. I paid $48 to preorder but if I had to pay $60 I would. The controls are tight and responsive, the graphics are very good, the ability to fly and climb walls basically kills the idea of camping since someone can come at you from anywhere and despite being 6v6 there was never a lack of action. It really reminds me of a FPS version of League of Legends to some extent.

Feb 20, 2014, 11:02
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 11:02
Feb 20, 2014, 11:02

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:48:
Me doth think the shill protest too much.

Did you... did you just call a guy a shill for the game he's a producer on?

Man, I wish that Cutter guy would stop shilling Cutter posts!

Feb 20, 2014, 10:56
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:56
Feb 20, 2014, 10:56

ldonyo wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 09:15:
I was frustrated by having control of my avatar taken from me so I could watch for 45 - 60 seconds as someone else killed me.

What on earth are you talking about? Nothing in Titanfall does that. The only thing I can think of that takes control from you at all is getting ripped out of a doomed Titan, and that takes about five seconds, at most.

Glykon wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 08:52:
Hmm I dont believe EA will NOT pay sites for good reviews
Anyhow please DONT pay for 4v4 generic console shooters on PC !

Leaving aside that it's 6v6, Titanfall is the opposite of "generic console shooter" in nearly every way except for the persistent progression mechanics. The "bots" that people have made so much fun of serve a purpose completely different from substitute players. They give players genuinely productive, rewarding, and engaging things to do when not in direct combat with real opponents. This, along with players' high mobility, allows a "6v6" game to be fast-paced and well-balanced regardless of the size of the map. In fact, paying attention to this mechanic is key to success for both you and your team; it is comparable to "jungling" in a MOBA.

The Titans also serve an important function with respect to breaking the usual patterns of generic FPS: camping is almost non-existent, requires effective teamwork when it does happen, and never dominates a match regardless of how finely honed somebody's pointing skills are. This is something I've long thought basically insoluble. No matter how frantic and arcadey shooters got, there was always a significant number of people good enough at sniping to make certain maps boring for everybody else. Even games like Battlefield haven't completely fixed this, despite having significant threats on the field that simply can't be dealt with that way. Somehow, Titans manage what tanks haven't. You can snipe in Titanfall, but you can't camp.

Feb 20, 2014, 10:48
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:48
Feb 20, 2014, 10:48

Me doth think the shill protest too much.
"When you're a Jet you're the swinginest thing. Little boy, you're a man, little man, you're a king!"

Feb 20, 2014, 10:31
MDB
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:31
Feb 20, 2014, 10:31
MDB

COD style zero depth gunplay made it boring pretty quickly. Riding enemy mechs is kind of fun though.

Feb 20, 2014, 10:28
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:28
Feb 20, 2014, 10:28

yeah this game doesn't really tickle my stompy robot fetish like OG mechwarrior does. shogo/hawken/virtual on always felt like... just, dudes fighting. never had the weight of giant mechanized combat.

Feb 20, 2014, 10:22
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:22
Feb 20, 2014, 10:22

MajorD wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:13:
For me, it hasn't really grabbed me enough to even pursue downloading the demo, so I can't make any fair judgment.
I was in the same boat as you, the gameplay vids and all the seemingly overhyped press coverage didn't make me care for the game, but when the beta opportunity came around I wanted to see what all the hype is about, and I liked it.
I don't think it is the best fps game ever created, but if you did enjoy games like CoD and Unreal Tournament back in the day I think you'd like Titanfall as well.
It doesn't require as much team work as BF but if you work with your team the rewards are much greater then try to solo.
In one of the games me and 2 other players with Titans were roaming around the map and just destroying everything in sight, nothing could touch us because the other team did not work together.
I've had games where I was on the receiving end of this same equation but I didn't feel frustrated like in the CoD games where you get killed in every 15 seconds.

Anyways I don't think the game is for everyone and I also don't believe it is worth $60 but if I find a deal on it in the ~$40 range I will probably pick it up.

Steam: SpectralMeat

Feb 20, 2014, 10:17
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:17
Feb 20, 2014, 10:17

I enjoyed it. I have reservations about some aspects of the game and wish I had more time to play it but this sums it up for me

Feb 20, 2014, 10:13
Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:13
Feb 20, 2014, 10:13

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 08:42:
I've liked it quiet a bit but not sure I'll drop the money for the game at launch.

A few of my friends pretty much said the same thing. They said it was fun, but weren't sure for how long, so were on the fence.

For me, it hasn't really grabbed me enough to even pursue downloading the demo, so I can't make any fair judgment.

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older