39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Morning Screenshots
Feb 11, 2014, 20:00
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 11, 2014, 20:00
Feb 11, 2014, 20:00

Osc8r wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 21:24:
mlw wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 20:17:
I have been in several betas and I enjoy this game. The questing is the best of any MMO I've played with good stories.

ESO is as close to playing Skyrim with your friends as you will ever see. There is an open beta on the way, try it out for yourself and make your own decision.

Really? You actually enjoyed the quests in this game?
The majority were just point toon to next waypoint, click numlock, then sit back and watch the pretty graphics go by.
I was disappointed with the combat the most though.

Well what is interesting here, Skyrim holds your hand as well and at least without mods, ESO has more combat options than the crappy UI Skyrim gives you which grossly limits the player.

Feb 11, 2014, 16:08
Beamer

Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 11, 2014, 16:08
Feb 11, 2014, 16:08
 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 04:01:
Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 18:20:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 18:01:
Awesome, well this honestly was the only fucking MMORPG that I've ever given a shit about. I have loved Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim with all my heart, they were without a doubt my most favorite games ever! For some stupid, fucking ridiculous reason I was hoping this game was actually going to be good? The Elder Scrolls games are a proven formula for a game that actually works! HOW the fucking hell are these developers not able to use this to make a online game that's awesome? Please tell me, is it that much of a stretch to put this universe into an MMO successfully? Well NIN said it best and most simple; I simply haven't heard anything good about this game. Either way, I seriously believe it's going to be a very long time before I give one shit about any other MMO. Honestly, I'm heartbroken and I feel like I'm going to VOMIT. Fuck it either way, this is the last time I will ever comment on this game again. Ever.

How the hell could they not just make TES an MMO?
Because TES is something like a 60-200 hour game, and MMO players do that many hours in a month.

Given that they can't spend much more to make TES Online than they do to make Skyrim, they have to change how it's played. If you want a game you can put thousands of hours into, the formula has to change. Just stretching out TES would be a disaster, because someone would still reach the "end" within 200 hours.

Basically, you have to make MMOs suck, which is why they all suck. I'd love to see one get its replayability by being more of a micro-game. The games I play the most are the ones you repeatedly start new from.

Which is why an Ultima Online type of experience would have been perfect for a TES:MMO. Create a hardcore and dangeorous world (with maybe a few safe zones) that rewards exploring, building, tinkering, mining, crafting and simply surviving. Give control of the different guilds over to players instead of NPCs. Reward teamwork and faction loyalty. Basically create a living breathing world with all the lore of TES and populate it with players instead of NPCs.

It would be nice to see them take the risk, but have any MMOs been successful like that?
Eve is successful for what it is, but it's kind of in a class of its own.

Zenimax clearly put an enormous amount of money into this, and I don't fully blame them for not swinging for the fences as far as gameplay goes.
On the flip side, I think the general consensus is that this style of MMORPG is fading in popularity. Not sure what the players are moving to, but it doesn't seem like WoW players are leaving WoW and flocking to something else. So while this is the safe move, as far as predictability goes, it does seem hard to imagine it being a huge payoff for them.

Feb 11, 2014, 15:54
Verno

Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 11, 2014, 15:54
Feb 11, 2014, 15:54
 Verno

Ignore the trolls in this forum who have only watched youtube videos and have never been in game. I have been in several betas and I enjoy this game. The questing is the best of any MMO I've played with good stories.

Sure, there are still some bugged animations, but these can be fixed. The world graphics are excellent. Of course, they are not better than Skyrim, as some have said elsewhere.

ESO is as close to playing Skyrim with your friends as you will ever see. There is an open beta on the way, try it out for yourself and make your own decision.

Hahaha whatever, at least Youtube videos have the excuse of being a passive experience, this was just really by the numbers and unengaging. I love all things Elder Scrolls but they didn't do a very good job of differentiating this from any other MMO I've played and the combat engine almost put me to sleep.

Slim I highly suggest trying the open beta for awhile, do not preorder this sight unseen as it has the potential for massive disappointment.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Feb 11, 2014, 04:01
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 11, 2014, 04:01
Feb 11, 2014, 04:01

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 18:20:
Awesome, well this honestly was the only fucking MMORPG that I've ever given a shit about. I have loved Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim with all my heart, they were without a doubt my most favorite games ever! For some stupid, fucking ridiculous reason I was hoping this game was actually going to be good? The Elder Scrolls games are a proven formula for a game that actually works! HOW the fucking hell are these developers not able to use this to make a online game that's awesome? Please tell me, is it that much of a stretch to put this universe into an MMO successfully? Well NIN said it best and most simple; I simply haven't heard anything good about this game. Either way, I seriously believe it's going to be a very long time before I give one shit about any other MMO. Honestly, I'm heartbroken and I feel like I'm going to VOMIT. Fuck it either way, this is the last time I will ever comment on this game again. Ever.

Because TES is something like a 60-200 hour game, and MMO players do that many hours in a month.

Given that they can't spend much more to make TES Online than they do to make Skyrim, they have to change how it's played. If you want a game you can put thousands of hours into, the formula has to change. Just stretching out TES would be a disaster, because someone would still reach the "end" within 200 hours.

Basically, you have to make MMOs suck, which is why they all suck. I'd love to see one get its replayability by being more of a micro-game. The games I play the most are the ones you repeatedly start new from.

Which is why an Ultima Online type of experience would have been perfect for a TES:MMO. Create a hardcore and dangeorous world (with maybe a few safe zones) that rewards exploring, building, tinkering, mining, crafting and simply surviving. Give control of the different guilds over to players instead of NPCs. Reward teamwork and faction loyalty. Basically create a living breathing world with all the lore of TES and populate it with players instead of NPCs.
I have a nifty blue line!

Feb 10, 2014, 22:16
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 22:16
Feb 10, 2014, 22:16

Osc8r wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 21:24:
The majority were just point toon to next waypoint, click numlock, then sit back and watch the pretty graphics go by.

Maybe you need to look around a bit. It is very rare is just go straight to waypoint. There is so much to see along the way....maybe the game isn't the problem? Maybe your play style is?

Feb 10, 2014, 22:12
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 22:12
Feb 10, 2014, 22:12

Asmo wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 17:05:
Classic example of the retarded nature of the game, completing a quest with another person in the group nearby does not complete the quest for them, so the whole party has to wait on respawns for the lot of you to complete the quest...

Not true - before you start it (or someone near it does) and you are on that quest, it asks you if you want to do it as a group or wait for next spawn.

Feb 10, 2014, 21:24
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 21:24
Feb 10, 2014, 21:24

I have been in several betas and I enjoy this game. The questing is the best of any MMO I've played with good stories.

Sadly it feels like another cookie cutter MMO in an elder scrolls skin.

Though i agree, try the open beta and decide for yourself.

Feb 10, 2014, 20:17
mlw
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 20:17
Feb 10, 2014, 20:17
mlw

Ignore the trolls in this forum who have only watched youtube videos and have never been in game. I have been in several betas and I enjoy this game. The questing is the best of any MMO I've played with good stories.

Sure, there are still some bugged animations, but these can be fixed. The world graphics are excellent. Of course, they are not better than Skyrim, as some have said elsewhere.

Feb 10, 2014, 18:24
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 18:24
Feb 10, 2014, 18:24

If you love everything about ES, there are 1000's of people that love ESO, now there maybe 10,000 who don't. But the point is, there are many people that are head over heels about this, you maybe to with your love of all ES.

Feb 10, 2014, 18:20
Beamer

Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 18:20
Feb 10, 2014, 18:20
 Beamer

Feb 10, 2014, 18:01
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 18:01
Feb 10, 2014, 18:01

Feb 10, 2014, 17:05
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 17:05
Feb 10, 2014, 17:05

TESO is junk, pure and simple. It's combat is clunky as hell, the graphics/animations etc wouldn't give Rift a run for it's money when it came out, it's quest system is shallow and dodgy to boot, the crafting system is not well explained (most common question in chat "How you get iron ore bars?".

It's voiced for the most part (we all remember what happened to SWTOR) which is kinda immersive, but it's lost the soul (and the arrow to the knee) of the TES games.

Classic example of the retarded nature of the game, completing a quest with another person in the group nearby does not complete the quest for them, so the whole party has to wait on respawns for the lot of you to complete the quest...

I didn't think that was even a thing anymore...

Very disappointed considering how much lore/environment etc they had at their fingertips.

Feb 10, 2014, 17:03
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 17:03
Feb 10, 2014, 17:03

MMORPG.COM is the least critical that I've found.

The Elder Scrolls Online - First Impressions Gameplay Video

I wouldn't play this game without a post launch free trial. (I'm not in the beta, and don't want to be).
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 10, 2014, 17:00
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 17:00
Feb 10, 2014, 17:00

All MMOS (and majority of games) are go here click E. So tired of this.

Feb 10, 2014, 16:50
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 16:50
Feb 10, 2014, 16:50

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 11:00:
Someone in the last thread called this a "last-gen MMORPG."

What, then, is a current or next-gen MMORPG? This indeed looks bland and boring, but, to me, it looks like every other MMORPG out there.
It's a cop-out answer because it's not out yet, but EverQuest Next looks genuinely advanced and different.

Feb 10, 2014, 16:41
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 16:41
Feb 10, 2014, 16:41

Task wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 10:35:
Also everyone is saying this is going to F2P, I'm sure it will. But what I don't get is people saying that it would be BETTER as a F2P, but how?

Why would I play an Elder Scrolls game where better gear or something is locked behind microtransactions? I'm sick of the F2P model in games, I really am, I hope it dies out completely in the game industry. That's why I enjoy games like Eve, I pay montly for 1 or 2 months than stop subscription when I don't want to play.
Cause right now as it stands, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Making it F2P such as The Secret World, i.e. buy, then cash shop is for fluff (custom clothes (one of the best things about TSW), pets and mounts), not to win.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Feb 10, 2014, 14:35
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 14:35
Feb 10, 2014, 14:35

GW2 hardly feels like the "f2p" that plagues pure F2P game models.

I paid money for the game box and then I played it. Simple as that, all content in the box, on the cd, and any new patch. Quests are not behind pay walls, and any gear dropped I can pick up after doing a quest, any loot money dropped I can use to buy game items.

It basically feels like regular game you buy, with "MMO" style play inside, with tertiary "buy this vanity item thing in the shop with real money that you don't actually need."

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2014, 15:04.

Feb 10, 2014, 13:55
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 13:55
Feb 10, 2014, 13:55

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:18:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:47:
GW2 isn't free-to-play, it just doesn't have a sub.

Right, but since we are talking about MMOs that start with a sub and then go free to play (and all of them require you to fork over 60 bucks to start with), the comparison is apt. Not many truly free to play MMOs really gain traction over here for whatever reason.

It's even more fun when you buy ESO on the Failbox. 60 bucks purchase price, 15 bucks subscription, 50 bucks a year for live AND content hidden behind paywalls. KACHINGALING.

But going free-to-play for an MMO ambitious enough to try for subscriptions first is itself fundamentally different philosophically than one designed to sustain itself on F2P from the start. On top of the pressure from investors and shareholders to make as much as or more money than they would/could have from subs, they then have to wrestle with the early adopters who paid for that box and how to compensate them in some way compared to the influx of new people enjoying all of that for free. That is responsible for the largest pay walls that any of them (SWTOR, LOTRO, STO, and others) have to offer -- the concept of a "premium" account. It's optional, but they try their damnedest to make it appealing, and the best way to do that is offer real advantages that the free-loaders don't get.

The only thing allowing ArenaNet to offer what they do with GW2 is the box price. Without that, there's no telling what sorts of nonsense they'd have in their cash shop to try and gouge people with (they're already pretty silly with a lot of that stuff IMO). Whether or not a game is worth paying a subscription over, the one thing you cannot reasonably argue is that it is the most fair form of long-term monetization there is. Everybody pays the same and gets the same.

P.S. I still contend that the Imperial race for TESO is not content... I saw the racial "abilities," and calling them that is quite a stretch. They're no more significant than they are in Skyrim, which is to say hardly at all. Your choice of race is your choice of appearance and alliance, and that's pretty much it. Anyone can play any race in any alliance if they pre-order, but after launch that's all the Imperial race will be good for, is having your generic caucasian aesthetic no matter which of the three factions you choose. If that's content, then a unique armor skin you paid 800 gems for in GW2 is content.

Feb 10, 2014, 13:35
Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 13:35
Feb 10, 2014, 13:35

does anyone know if they wipe our characters for the next beta?

Feb 10, 2014, 13:29
Verno

Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 13:29
Feb 10, 2014, 13:29
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:07:
It's a console game. And it not only doesn't move forward but takes steps backwards on several fronts. $60 plus a monthly sub for this is laughable at best. F2P within 6 months, definitely inside a year. Bethsoft wasted a ton of money on this.

They'll probably make it back on the name alone but I agree that it's a very run of the mill, boring MMO.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older