Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I want to take a moment to send out best birthday wishes to Frans, one of the few times I've managed to do this on time over the years. I'd say happy birthday, but that might be a stretch, as he is currently mourning a death in the family, so I'll wish him peace and comfort for now, along with sincere condolences for his loss.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombinsanity.
Click Battle Madness.
Links: Mountain Dew Cheetos Is The Ultimate Gamer Snack.
20 Movies And Albums That Are 20 Years Old In 2014.
Story: NBA Negotiating with Silna Brothers to Remedy Their Egregious $300M TV Mistake.
Science: Further away planets 'can support life' say researchers.
N-test legacy in stratosphere bigger than thought.
New gravity lab: Two white dwarfs and a neutron star.
Media: Pulp Fiction - 8 Bit Cinema.
'Neutron Dance' Improves Movie Dance Scenes. Thanks nin.
What Conan's Watching.
Follow-up: 'Global sunscreen' plan could wreck tropics, study finds.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2014, 12:05  Xymph 

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:20:
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans."
Yeah, that's the phrase I've used a few times within our family a week ago. With "you're" spelled correctly, of course.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2014, 12:12.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 07:44 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:53:
IIRC, he asked the forumites about that quite a few years back, and interest wasn't very high.
I don't recall that, but I might have missed it. I'd be willing to support it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 19:32 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:53:
Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:33:
How long have we been saying now that Blue should move to an optional sub format like Ars. I'd happily pay $5 a month to go ad free.

IIRC, he asked the forumites about that quite a few years back, and interest wasn't very high.

Time to ask again. No reason not to do it. Optional sub means he won't lose anything. And a trial run on some Ts and mugs wouldn't be too much.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 18:53 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:33:
How long have we been saying now that Blue should move to an optional sub format like Ars. I'd happily pay $5 a month to go ad free.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 17:15 Jivaro

I will see credit score checks, department stores, flowers shops, F2P video games, and a great deal more in one day of checking the site. The only thing any of the ads have in common is that they have the word "free" plastered in bold letters all over them.

I just assumed that the ads were targeted at cheap old men that forget birthdays and anniversaries. It seemed like sound logic to me.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 16:34 Cutter

Just noticed I have an extra beta key for TESO this weekend if anyone wants it.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 16:33 Cutter

How long have we been saying now that Blue should move to an optional sub format like Ars. I'd happily pay $5 a month to go ad free. Get some Blues paraphernalia again and you'd probably sell a fair bit of that too, Stephen. I'd love a Blues mug and T-shirt.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 15:44 Retired

That seems weird, cause no matter where I view the site from I get "21 and over" half naked women ads for some stupid Mature web game...  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 14:31 Beamer

Weaseal wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:20:
Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:47:
I haven't seen that, but I've noticed that today many of the ads are being blocked by my work. I don't use adblock on my work computer (it's important for me to see ads my site is stupidly littered with), but the corpnet is just killing more today than usual.

I will say that most ads I see here are retargeting, so maybe it's something you were looking at on your own... Inquisitive

I don't know anything about ads or what "retargeting" means, but I can say with a high degree of confidence that if anything I browsed on my own resulted in these creepy pictures, then Blue has an issue with his ad algorithms - hence my original post.

Why would I bother posting to let Blue know about this problem if I were into this sort of thing?

Yes, I pointed out that he primarily does retargeting so that you would understand where these ads may come from.

Example of retargeting: you go to Superwidgets.com, then half the ads you see on the internet for the next 24 hours are from superwidgets.com, with many showing you the exact item you looked at.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 14:20 Weaseal

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:47:
I haven't seen that, but I've noticed that today many of the ads are being blocked by my work. I don't use adblock on my work computer (it's important for me to see ads my site is stupidly littered with), but the corpnet is just killing more today than usual.

I will say that most ads I see here are retargeting, so maybe it's something you were looking at on your own... Inquisitive

I don't know anything about ads or what "retargeting" means, but I can say with a high degree of confidence that if anything I browsed on my own resulted in these creepy pictures, then Blue has an issue with his ad algorithms - hence my original post.

Why would I bother posting to let Blue know about this problem if I were into this sort of thing?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 13:47 Beamer

Weaseal wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:42:
Hey Blue,

Been a reader here for over 10 years. Love the site. I spend at least a few minutes here every day.

I always try to support you by whitelisting bluesnews.com from Adblock, Ghostery, etc. A little concerned lately about the quality of the ads - I'm not too keen on seeing a shirtless child with the body of a grown man. It's creepy and weird, especially while I'm at work. Just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Cheers,
Weaseal

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 13:42 Weaseal

Hey Blue,

Been a reader here for over 10 years. Love the site. I spend at least a few minutes here every day.

I always try to support you by whitelisting bluesnews.com from Adblock, Ghostery, etc. A little concerned lately about the quality of the ads - I'm not too keen on seeing a shirtless child with the body of a grown man. It's creepy and weird, especially while I'm at work. Just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Cheers,
Weaseal

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 13:20 Cutter

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans." Keep the faith, Fransy!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 12:57 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:57:
Happy birthday and best of luck Frans.

Yep. All the best, Frans.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 12:01 nin

Sorry to hear about Frans' misfortune. Hope things get better.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 09:51  Blue 

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:21:
Frans, thanks for keeping this site running despite Blue's attempt to drive it into the curb at every opportunity.

QFT.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 09:21 InBlack

Frans, thanks for keeping this site running despite Blue's attempt to drive it into the curb at every opportunity.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 08:57 Verno

Happy birthday and best of luck Frans.  
Playing: Persona 5, Ys VIII, Mario vs Rabbids
Watching: American Gods, Stronger, Day of the Dead Bloodline

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo