Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014

A DayZ blog post reflects on the first three weeks of Early Access to the DayZ alpha on Steam, saying the zombie survival game has sold 875,000 copies over that time. The post discusses the uncompromising gameplay players are experiencing in the game and discusses plans for the future, saying the earliest we should expect DayZ to hit the beta testing stage is the end of the year: "Please keep in mind that we do not expect to reach Beta status sooner than the end of 2014."
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 09:39 Total-Khaos

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 05:53:
Prison Architect is the only alpha game i've ever played that i feel like i've already got my money's worth. Every month i'm so eager to see what was added to an already awesome game.

I feel the same way about Starbound. My $14.99 was well spent - can't wait to see what the developers add to it in the coming months.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 06:45 LiTh

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 05:57:
Prison Architect is the only alpha game i've ever played that i feel like i've already got my money's worth. Every month i'm so eager to see what was added to an already awesome game.

Something like it and Kerbal, where you're encouraged to try new things and see what implodes, I can easily see getting your money out of. Half the fun seems to be watching something go horribly awry.

So true! For something like a FPS or RPG i wouldnt ever want to play the game until it was as complete as possible

18. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 05:57  nin 

Something like it and Kerbal, where you're encouraged to try new things and see what implodes, I can easily see getting your money out of. Half the fun seems to be watching something go horribly awry.

17. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 05:53 LiTh

16. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 02:53 bigspender

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 00:58:
I'm done with early access games.

+1

edit, i'd give good money for a game that is actually finished these day

15. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 01:57 pwatsop

Zombies aren't out of style, but they are pretty played out right now. I don't think DAYZ will have any giant windfall whenever they finally call it done. That will probably be towards the end of it's life cycle in terms of sales. DAYZ hit the mark as a mod and will have a hardcore fanbase for years to come. This is probably a good portion of the sales so far.

I really dug the mod. It was a fresh breath of air for Me.
I'm not motivated to buy in to the standalone for the alpha/beta, but feel like if I ever get around to it, I'll be late for the fun.

I'm not happy about the trend here of releasing alphas for sale.

14. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 00:58 Beelzebud

I'm done with early access games.  

13. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 7, 2014, 00:07 Kosumo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:34:
hahah they cashed you in on your money and just sitting on it. I love it.

They have raised over 3M dollars - they are not in a hurry to release it....

Still, better than $100 spaceships for a game that is only a hangar at this time. At lest people are playing something for their money. I don't think at any stage did they ask for money before they had something to give in return.

12. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 22:49 Retired

Krovven wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:18:

I'd say it's a hell of a lot more than 3 million. 875,000 sales at $30 minus Valves 30-40%...

With many more sales to come, they better throw more developers at it.

I missed a zero. Sorry.

11. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 22:18 Krovven

I'd say it's a hell of a lot more than 3 million. 875,000 sales at $30 minus Valves 30-40%...

With many more sales to come, they better throw more developers at it.

10. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 22:15 fatguy

I played the mod, and bought the standalone. I've had a lot of fun with both.

Also I think it's a great thing that they allow people who want to play a game to play it early. It's a risk to buy into something at such an early stage but if you watch lots of videos and some decent reviews you know exactly what you are getting into when you buy into early access games. I always loved getting into any betas I could, this just allows me to play games I want to play even earlier. And on them not releasing the full game any time soon, I think that is a GREAT thing. It means the game will be worked on for a long time and will have a lot more features than it currently has. And imo, it is currently fun for me.

I've gotten a few early access games and never received something unexpected with them.

Natural Selection 2, Insurgency 2, Arma 3, Kenshi, and Blade Symphony were all early access games I got and I enjoyed them all.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 22:31.

9. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 21:56 jacobvandy

Highlander wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 21:02:
Another year before beta is available? HAHAHA 875,000 suckers. The zombie craze will be long over by then.

He says, presuming a "craze" is what makes this game popular while also purporting to have the authority to proclaim when the interests of others must shift.

8. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 21:36 Mad Max RW

It's fun reading the idiotic whiners on the Wasteland 2 forums crying about the perceived injustices of early access. These dopes are incapable of understanding the simplest things and should be permanently removed from Steam. They spam the forums with their verbal diarrhea. That's the entitlement generation for you. The admins are way too lenient with stupidity.  

7. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 21:31 harlock

Highlander wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 21:02:
HAHAHA 875,000 suckers.

real talk

6. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 21:02 Highlander

Another year before beta is available? HAHAHA 875,000 suckers. The zombie craze will be long over by then.  

5. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 20:51 Tim Collins

BLATENT CASHIN  

4. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 20:45 Ravor

This is why I'm tired of all these stupid Steam games being early access.... so many people buying the shit before it's even done...  

3. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 20:34 Retired

2. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 20:21 bigspender

wow, another great game that will be dead before it is even released.

If i was a AAA game developer, I would grab the unreal engine and throw a full team of resources on developing a clone of this game and beat them to it, with better graphics, interfaces and controls.

1. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 20:20  Cutter 

875k copies? Cereal?

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >