Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4

NVIDIA has taken the wraps off a new system on a chip called the Tegra K1, aimed at mobile devices after going a little wacky with their viral tease for the announcement. NVIDIA live blogged their own event and CNET has details from the announcement, while The Tech Report and Techgage have previews of the new technology. One of the bragging rights for the Tegra K1 is its ability to handle Epic's upcoming Unreal 4 engine, and this trailer offers a look at the engine running on the new SOC, which Epic's Tim Sweeney says blurs the line between desktop end mobile devices in a way he didn't expect for another three or four years.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 7, 2014, 10:40 Beamer

Simon Says wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 03:42:
http://gfxbench.com/result.jsp

Fastest PC result: upward of 1000 fps.
Fastest cellphone result: 26 fps.

That's with a benchmark that don't even really lend itself well to the faster GPUs being able to stretch their legs.

Let's face it, mobile gaming + modern games = crap.

On the other hand, mobile gaming + RETRO = PERFECT.

You play retro games on mobiles, it's what it's meant for and it's perfect. Modern games, forget it.

The cell/tablet gpu can't do miracles at the WAY TOO HIGH RESOLUTIONS they're asked to output at. If they'd output at 480p, it wouldn't be so bad, but 1080p and up? Forget it.

everything you are saying is true. Today.
it is less true in 6 months, with this announcement.
it is even less true next year.

so why are you spending so much time arguing about what is true today when nvidia is showing their 3 year plan, not their current state?

nvidia is one of the biggest gpu manufacturers, right? And this is their biggest event, right? Four years ago all they did was talk geforce. Now they don't even mention what they are doing on desktops and talk solely mobile. What used to be their time to highlight pcs is now all tegra. Their r&d is now heavily slanted mobile.

so you can discuss frame rates, but one is stagnating while the other increases exponentially year over year. Its only a matter of time before they are negligibly different. And you can discuss input, but tablets have Bluetooth and USB so can use any input a desktop can.

you can keep your 40 lbs desktop. I look forward to being able to bring a 1lbs tablet with me on airplanes that can play any game I want.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 7, 2014, 09:35 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:34:
Quboid wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:48:
I'm pretty sure every mobile chip in the last 10 years has blurred the line between desktop and mobile performance and is doing so 3 or 4 years sooner than someone who stands to gain from making it look good expected.

Hehe, no.. that line is not getting blurred, it's become a giant 5km wide and 2km deep canyon.

Unless you want a mobile device with 5minutes of battery life, you will never replace a high end gaming rig with anything not attached to a power socket.

I know that, but the people who stand to gain from making these look good seem to think otherwise; I'm so tired of this shtick that I just roll my eyes.

I didn't know it had 3D API support beyond want other SoC's offer and Sweeney's utterly generic comments failed to tell me or intrigue me enough to RTFA or WTFV (watch the flipping video).

Supporting an API that rival products don't is arguably a bad thing (fragmenting the market) but I presume others will add at least some of this stuff - so it's nice but useless for the foreseeable future. If you push the boat out on PC hardware, you can find games with advanced options to push things a little bit further. On a mobile or tablet, the most you'll get is a "high detail" option which is still easily handled by any premium gear. Until these DX or OpenGL features are widely available, I don't see this being any different to earlier Tegras: a handful of mediocre games that cost twice as much as their non-Tegra version and feature a few minor graphical upgrades - absolutely nothing that would convince me to buy in.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

17. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 7, 2014, 03:42 Simon Says

http://gfxbench.com/result.jsp

Fastest PC result: upward of 1000 fps.
Fastest cellphone result: 26 fps.

That's with a benchmark that don't even really lend itself well to the faster GPUs being able to stretch their legs.

Let's face it, mobile gaming + modern games = crap.

On the other hand, mobile gaming + RETRO = PERFECT.

You play retro games on mobiles, it's what it's meant for and it's perfect. Modern games, forget it.

The cell/tablet gpu can't do miracles at the WAY TOO HIGH RESOLUTIONS they're asked to output at. If they'd output at 480p, it wouldn't be so bad, but 1080p and up? Forget it.

16. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 22:46 eRe4s3r

Tim Collins wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:34:
Nvidia is slipping BIGTIME.....I swear it seems like their trying to paint a rosy picture but I am just not seeing anything good coming from them till what maybe q4/2014.....Something went to their head or they just got lazy....hmmmmm

Why would Nvidia or ATI for that matter push the "envelop" when there is nothing worth pushing it for? I think at this point both sides wait on new engines and games... and the occ-rift (which'll place fundamental new challenges on GPU's)

15. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 22:34 eRe4s3r

I'm pretty sure every mobile chip in the last 10 years has blurred the line between desktop and mobile performance and is doing so 3 or 4 years sooner than someone who stands to gain from making it look good expected.

Hehe, no.. that line is not getting blurred, it's become a giant 5km wide and 2km deep canyon.

Unless you want a mobile device with 5minutes of battery life, you will never replace a high end gaming rig with anything not attached to a power socket.

14. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 22:32 Fantaz

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 21:08:
Judging by the looks on their faces, even they know that this is all BS.

Mobile gaming is terrible. I bought a GS4 and was all psyched about the gaming potential. Then I downloaded a few games and found out that they were completely awful. The only games that even come close to being good are the GTA games and you need a MOGA controller for it to be semi-fun. It will be a long time before any mobile games are worth looking at. As it stands, they're all such shallow games with no content. The FF games might be the exception when considering content.

XCom Enemy Unknown is really fun. I'm currently playing through that on my iPad Air. Infinity Blade series is not bad also, but the best tablet games are the direct PC ports and not designed for mobile games.

13. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 21:08 Frags4Fun

Judging by the looks on their faces, even they know that this is all BS.

Mobile gaming is terrible. I bought a GS4 and was all psyched about the gaming potential. Then I downloaded a few games and found out that they were completely awful. The only games that even come close to being good are the GTA games and you need a MOGA controller for it to be semi-fun. It will be a long time before any mobile games are worth looking at. As it stands, they're all such shallow games with no content. The FF games might be the exception when considering content.

“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

12. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 20:15 Vex

christheshitter wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 17:16:
That's some really bad fps in the low teens. Nope we're not there yet. Give it some five years and then maybe it gets playable.

Seriously. I'm sick of tech demos full of horseshit claims. "It runs Unreal 4 guys....." Yeah. Ok. At 10 fucking FPS. Get the fuck out of here.

11. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 17:16 christheshitter

That's some really bad fps in the low teens. Nope we're not there yet. Give it some five years and then maybe it gets playable.  

10. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 15:12 Tim Collins

Shortish Answer: A non-integrated LTE modem is not competitive. Cost, battery and performance suffer. Everybody BUT Nvidia has integrated LTE/4g modems now. In the past Nvidia promised us they would have integrated modems starting with 4i......not Tegra ...who knows now.  

9. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 14:31 DrEvil

Tim Collins wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:15:
How did Nvidia start developing and forget about LTE....

LTE has been out for 2 years.

This is pointless till then.

Its not linke u can use a 4g dongle ....baffles why they didnt see this coming.

You can get LTE as part of a Tegra K1 setup thanks to an external chip:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/05/nvidia-tegra-5/

8. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 14:28 DrEvil

Uh, no, no they haven't. The big difference here is that nVidia's new Tegra supports the full OpenGL 4.4/DX11 API. No other ARM-based mobile SoC design does that.

This means other than performance targets and input considerations, developers can bring large existing code bases to the target device with little change. That's a huge win.

7. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 13:34 Tim Collins

Nvidia is slipping BIGTIME.....I swear it seems like their trying to paint a rosy picture but I am just not seeing anything good coming from them till what maybe q4/2014.....Something went to their head or they just got lazy....hmmmmm  

6. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 13:20 nin

Wonder how hot it runs, though...

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

5. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 13:19 Verno

My problems with mobile gaming have less to do with game performance and more with the limited input options and terrible battery life. Maybe for little Android STBs this sort of thing is interesting but even then it feels like a weird niche.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

4. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 13:15 Beamer

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:45:
"in a way he didn't expect for another three or four years. "

maybe we'll see a tablet with Tegra K1 in 2017-2018... why do they bother teasing us now so early? their press event last night was boring as hell too. crop circles, 3d car dashboard and bongzilla included.

Huh?
We'll see devices using K1 this year.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 12:48 Quboid

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

2. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 12:45 Fantaz

maybe we'll see a tablet with Tegra K1 in 2015-2016... why do they bother teasing us now so early? their press event last night was boring as hell too. crop circles, 3d car dashboard and bongzilla included.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 13:55.

1. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 12:15 Tim Collins

How did Nvidia start developing and forget about LTE....

LTE has been out for 2 years.

This is pointless till then.

Its not linke u can use a 4g dongle ....baffles why they didnt see this coming.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo