Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thank you all very much for the birthday wishes, and for the sympathies about the circumstances surrounding the occasion.

R.I.P. Grandma Belle, she did indeed pass away yesterday, strong to the end, she only ended up hanging on roughly 50x longer than the doctors thought she would without the respirator. It wouldn't have been her style to go out without surprising everyone like that one more time, and the only thing I can think would have been more appropriate is if she managed to crack everyone up with one last joke on the way out. Here's what I will say about Belle, and though this is obviously from a skewed perspective, I assure you of its accuracy: She had as much capacity for love as anyone you'll meet, and had the innate ability to create it on the fly like a love generator. She was the matriarch of an incredibly extended family that is pretty complicated in the way of our times, and she bound us all together with a warmth and caring that defies description. One example of that is how boggled the nurses became at all the visitors of various races who referred to themselves as Belle's daughters, as so many of Belle's actual daughter's friends "adopted" her over the years. We're sad to lose her, but happy for her life, and relieved that the suffering that accompanied her passing has ended.

R.I.P.: DNA pioneer Frederick Sanger dies aged 95.

Loving Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pause Ahead.
Bot Lair.
Stories: Moose-eating shark rescued in Newfoundland harbour. Thanks Boing Boing.
ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons reveals he turned down $1 million to shave off his beard.
Volcanic eruption creates new island far south of Japan. Thanks The Caretaker.
Media: Drew Carey Cracks Up Over the Number 69.
'The Daily Show' Doubles Down On New York Pizza. Thanks nin.
Super Cafe: Who's a Hero?

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 20:17 Retired

PHJF wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:05:
Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:54:
Thanks to Prof and Bats for the TESO beta key. What the hell is with their forums though? You need some sort of separate invite? Anyway, when's the next test start? I coulda swore someone said it was today.

My key was specifically for this weekend.

Yup, I snagged it, then when they finally sent mine for this weekend, I gave it to Cutter. No worries.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 13:30 Paranoid Jack

PHJF wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:05:
Thanks to Prof and Bats for the TESO beta key. What the hell is with their forums though? You need some sort of separate invite? Anyway, when's the next test start? I coulda swore someone said it was today.

I received a second key but just logged in using my existing account? I'm slightly confused but then that's just me.

Blue, your words brought me to tears. I'm sorry for your loss. Many of us were truly blessed to have people like Belle in our lives.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 13:13 Fool

Blue, my sympathies for your loss, but at the same time my congratulations for having had such an amazing woman in your life for so long. Your grandma sounds an awful lot like my own, who passed away 8 years ago this month. With any luck their spirits will meet and they will share many laughs together for all eternity. My best to you and yours, sir.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 05:32 Ladron3dfx

Much love Blue and also to Hudson the Wonder dog. Wink  

Steamworks

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 05:19 ASeven

Sorry for your loss, Blue.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 22:38 PropheT

She sounds a lot like my grandpa was. Even though I still miss him after all this time, it'd be a far worse loss to have not known him and have a chance to learn from him in the time we had. Sorry for your loss, Blue, best wishes to your family.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 20:17 WarPig

Blue, I'm very sorry for your loss. At the same time I'm glad that you were able to share your life with such a great person. Reading your tribute brought back memories of my grandmother who passed many years ago. I have to remind myself sometimes that not everyone is so lucky, and as you know, over time the hurt will be replaced with fond memories.  

GO SEAHAWKS!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 19:55 crypto

'The Daily Show' Doubles Down On New York Pizza

Stupid region alert

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 18:13 Efflixi

I remember when this site was called Blue's Quake Rag... I downloaded Qtest from here...  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 18:11 Mr. Tact

scratz wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:35:
But in other news way more relevant to this site's topic, Carmack is leaving id Software.

John Carmack Just Left id Software (tomshardware.com)

That's the full brake end to an important era for a lot of long term BluesNews readers who first started coming here for Quake news nearly 20 years ago.
It's been coming for a while now. No surprise here.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 17:56 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:15:
Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:21:
So when is it supposed to start? Ugh, I hate this weekend key crap. Hey guess who has a shitload of home renos to do tomorrow and Sunday? The guy NOT playing the beta. Le sigh.

were you able to make an account? everytime i click on the sign up button, i get a 500 internal error. both IE and chrome.

Yeah, got the account setup no problem last night. Client is all DL'ed and patched up. All the info seems to be in the beta forum but you need some sort of code to access it which is apparently different from the beta key. How dumb is that? So I can play the beta but I can't give feedback on it?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 17:15 1badmf

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:21:
So when is it supposed to start? Ugh, I hate this weekend key crap. Hey guess who has a shitload of home renos to do tomorrow and Sunday? The guy NOT playing the beta. Le sigh.

were you able to make an account? everytime i click on the sign up button, i get a 500 internal error. both IE and chrome.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 16:35 scratz

(Sad for your loss, Blue)

But in other news way more relevant to this site's topic, Carmack is leaving id Software.

John Carmack Just Left id Software (tomshardware.com)

That's the full brake end to an important era for a lot of long term BluesNews readers who first started coming here for Quake news nearly 20 years ago.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 16:22 Beamer

I'm sure we'll get the news item to comment on soon, but whoa - id is basically finished.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 16:21 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 16:05 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 14:15 MajorD

Blue, sorry to hear of your and your families loss. Peace be with you.

Still counting...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 13:40 Creston

Sad news, Blue. My condolences.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 13:40 Rattlehead

You have my sympathies blue. My grandma died march of last year and it still makes me sad. I loved my grandma very much.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 13:13 LgFriess

Sorry for your loss.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo