Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 16, 2013, 20:31 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 21:42:
I realize many of us here (myself included) are pissed at Ballmer and MS for the shenanigans they pulled on PC gamers. And certainly MS failed to be a player in many of the consumer toys, but I'm not sure I'd call Ballmer a failure. He brought the company from $30b when Gates retired to $70b. That's impressive. And they've had some successes, in the consumer realm like Bing and Xbox. And arguably they've made good consumer toys like Zune and the current Windows phones, they've just had poor timing.

And I have to tip my hat to the guy. Realizing that it's time to go from a place you've basically dedicated your life to is a hard decision. The ego of a lot of CEOs won't let them quit, they can't see they've done anything wrong or performed poorly. They have to be forced out. For him to recognize that MS needed a major shake-up, axe a bunch of people, then ax himself, well that takes balls.

I don't know where you got that, but you are WAY off base. Ballmer was a fucking disaster in every sense of the word.

Here’s one chart showing 28 years of Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer and why they’re so different

and

Microsoft's stock slumped under Ballmer

To wit....

"When Ballmer became CEO, Microsoft had a market value of $604 billion. That heft meant it accounted for nearly 5 percent of the Standard & Poor's 500 index, according to Howard Silverblatt, an analyst at S&P Dow Jones Indices.

Now, Microsoft's market value is $269 billion, less than half of its value when Ballmer came to power. It makes up less than 2 percent of the S&P 500"

"But under Ballmer, Microsoft's stock has been a dud, losing 44 percent during his tenure. Still, dividend payments have compensated for some of the slump. An investment of $1,000 in January 2000 would now be worth just $767 after reinvesting dividends, according to data from FactSet.

The same investment in Apple would be worth $20,120."

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 16, 2013, 12:20 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 02:24:
Creston, Bing has 18% of the market. How is that not a success?

Because it loses money to the tune of several Billion dollars per year? Yet another one of those Ballmer 'ideas' that is basically just a drain on the company's coffers.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 16, 2013, 11:08 Silicon Avatar

MS is huge and it's hard to gauge Ballmer's success on one thing. He did okay on some things, bombed on others, and his monkey antics and temper were huge minuses. I am hoping they get a real tech. person in next time, but they'll probably get some crap CEO instead.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 16, 2013, 06:08 Julio

I just can't see how people consider Ballmer a success. Sure he didn't screw things up worse than he did, but imagine how much better Microsoft would have been without him.

So many failures, so much money "earned". I shed no tears for Ballmer, he's the poster child for overpaid executives that contribute no value. There are plenty of executives that do, but compensation is insane for what they provide.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 16, 2013, 02:24 jdreyer

Creston, Bing has 18% of the market. How is that not a success?  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 23:21 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:46:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:34:
"I was part of the problem.. now excuse me while I go roll in my silo of money."

Yep. Easy to admit fault now that he is hundreds of millions of dollars richer for being a failure.

And will only benefit more if the company improves since he will still own a vast number of shares.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 22:16 Creston

By what measure is Bing a success, actually? I'm genuinely curious.

But yeah, Ballmer made MS a huge chunk of money. Sure. Otoh, it can easily be argued that if you take inflation into account, the company is worth just about the same as it was back then. (edit: I had thought that was wrong when I wrote it, but didn't feel like looking it up. Cutter's proven it wrong, however.)

When Gates left, MS was the biggest and best tech company in the world, and poised to become the world's first trillion dollar enterprise. A decade later, and it's in many ways an also-ran.

Ballmer sure doesn't get many accolades in my book.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2013, 23:28.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 21:42 jdreyer

I realize many of us here (myself included) are pissed at Ballmer and MS for the shenanigans they pulled on PC gamers. And certainly MS failed to be a player in many of the consumer toys, but I'm not sure I'd call Ballmer a failure. He brought the company from $30b when Gates retired to $70b. That's impressive. And they've had some successes, in the consumer realm like Bing and Xbox. And arguably they've made good consumer toys like Zune and the current Windows phones, they've just had poor timing.

And I have to tip my hat to the guy. Realizing that it's time to go from a place you've basically dedicated your life to is a hard decision. The ego of a lot of CEOs won't let them quit, they can't see they've done anything wrong or performed poorly. They have to be forced out. For him to recognize that MS needed a major shake-up, axe a bunch of people, then ax himself, well that takes balls.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 20:46 Prez

DrEvil wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:34:
"I was part of the problem.. now excuse me while I go roll in my silo of money."

Yep. Easy to admit fault now that he is hundreds of millions of dollars richer for being a failure.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 20:34 DrEvil

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 20:14 Parallax Abstraction

A good realisation but wayyyyyy too late now Ballmer.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo