Next Mass Effect Teases

The BioWare Blog's Happy N7 Day recap covers today's celebrations of the Mass Effect series, and there's a lengthy article called The Effect on Us with developer reflections on the series. The game's developers also took to Twitter today, teasing several images of them working on the next installment in the sci-fi shooter series. Game Informer has rounded them up for your viewing pleasure. Remember, these images are for entertainment purposes only. Please, no wagering.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Next Mass Effect Teases
Nov 8, 2013, 11:27
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 11:27
Nov 8, 2013, 11:27

Quinn wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 01:27:
No idea how ppl could get into that. Why should I give a shit about destroying blackmail data for person A and killing a druglord in another sidequest? Why would I give a shit about stopping the Adolf Hitler of the Mass Effect universe? The whole universe is getting fucked by Shepard and the Reapers anyway. Knowing this certainty kinda removes the will to live in that world or try to fix it.

I don't know, it didn't stop people from playing Knights of the Old Republic, it didn't stop people from playing The Walking Dead, and it sure as hell didn't stop people from playing the various Lord of the Rings games.

The point is simple, even if you know how the world will ultimately 'end up', doesn't mean that you cannot have an enjoyable experience in the same setting.

Nov 8, 2013, 10:22
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 10:22
Nov 8, 2013, 10:22

NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 04:42:
InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 04:01:
NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 02:59:
Bioware has yet to release a game that I did not find utterly enjoyable. Are they all at the same level of quality? Fuck no. Are they all a "buy at full price" level of quality? Nope. Dragon Age 2, for example, was too bizarre a departure from the first one, and didn't have enough variety. But I still enjoyed it and sunk a fair number of hours into it. Shit, even SWTOR kept me busy for months.

Never really understood all the bile. Bioware at their worst are still better than most companies at their best. And they actually appreciate the PC as a platform.

They've certainly not reached the threshold for where I will flat out declare them unworthy of my dollar bills.

How's it feel to be Bioware's bitch? Wait dont answer that. I can recognize true love when I see it. Dude youre like the wife that wont leave her abusive husband. Classic victim mentality, it cant be his fault I deserve all that Im getting....

Hey I just came up with a new way of describing fanbois!!

You seem a little mad.

After the complete, utter pile of shit that Dragon Age 2 was, I'm not surprised.

Honestly, it WAS that bad. I couldn't get through the first half hour of that first city or whatever that you come across with your family.

Nov 8, 2013, 09:19
Prez

Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 09:19
Nov 8, 2013, 09:19
 Prez

I want the wide open Citadel of the first game, big open planets with stuff to do, etc

Totally this. The Citadel was such an awesome, wonderous place (even if it was a rip-off of Babylon 5 ) I'd love to explore a much larger version of it. Open world planets in the vein of Red Faction Guerrila would be pretty awesome too I think. Of course, while I'm at it a cure for Cancer and an end to world hunger would be great.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 8, 2013, 08:37
Verno

Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 08:37
Nov 8, 2013, 08:37
 Verno

I'd like to see a new Mass Effect game but I really don't want them doing the same thing they did last time with shared maps for multiplayer and stuff. I want the wide open Citadel of the first game, big open planets with stuff to do, etc. No need to compromise on quality now that memory constraints aren't a concern.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Nov 8, 2013, 04:42
NKD
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 04:42
Nov 8, 2013, 04:42
NKD

InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 04:01:
Bioware has yet to release a game that I did not find utterly enjoyable. Are they all at the same level of quality? Fuck no. Are they all a "buy at full price" level of quality? Nope. Dragon Age 2, for example, was too bizarre a departure from the first one, and didn't have enough variety. But I still enjoyed it and sunk a fair number of hours into it. Shit, even SWTOR kept me busy for months.

Never really understood all the bile. Bioware at their worst are still better than most companies at their best. And they actually appreciate the PC as a platform.

They've certainly not reached the threshold for where I will flat out declare them unworthy of my dollar bills.

How's it feel to be Bioware's bitch? Wait dont answer that. I can recognize true love when I see it. Dude youre like the wife that wont leave her abusive husband. Classic victim mentality, it cant be his fault I deserve all that Im getting....

You seem a little mad.
"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Nov 8, 2013, 04:01
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 04:01
Nov 8, 2013, 04:01

I have a nifty blue line!

Nov 8, 2013, 02:59
NKD
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 02:59
Nov 8, 2013, 02:59
NKD

"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Nov 8, 2013, 01:52
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 01:52
Nov 8, 2013, 01:52

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 01:44:
Time has made you guys soft. ME3's ending really was as bad as the nerd-rage made it look. Think back on it long and hard, and remember.

I'm pretty sure I've played Mass Effect 3 far far far far far more times than you have. I'm also pretty sure that when the original ending came out, I was pretty fucking pissed at it, but I felt that they fixed my main issue with it (that every single one of them was identical and left the universe totally, utterly FUCKED) when they released the extended cut and retconned most of the bullshit.

I've also played their "look, we can't call it an ending DLC because Mac Walters would cry like the little whore he is, but really, this is simply the Ending DLC." in The Citadel DLC.

With the extended cut and the Citadel DLC, I have no issue with the way ME3 ended. Sure, the Catalyst/Star Child/Space Magic bullshit is still just plain fucking stupid and annoying, but that 15 minutes of Mac Walters drooltardery doesn't invalidate 100+ hours of excellent gaming, nor does it invalidate further stories for me.

If it does for you, then simply don't play the next one. Problem solved. I'm still definitely looking forward to it.

Oh, and:

The whole universe is getting fucked by Shepard and the Reapers anyway

No, because they retconned that. In every single ending, but especially the Destroy one, you see that the galaxy rebuilds, the gates get put back together, Earth is rebuilt, etc. No longer do the gates explode and wipe out the large majority of inhabited solar systems (which they stupidly just forgot about in the original ending, despite making such a big deal about it in the Arrival.)

Fair enough. I admit I've never played The Citadel DLC. Reason? Same as my last comment, ofc!

Nov 8, 2013, 01:47
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 01:47
Nov 8, 2013, 01:47

MattyC wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 01:45:
I didn't mind the child sequences that much, but at least with my ending they never went anywhere. It also didn't help that for some reason my ME1 and 2 Shepards looked the same, but for some reason in ME3 he looked like Dustin Hoffman from The Graduate instead. Wasn't the worst look ever or anything, but it was... random. This was on the 360 for what it is worth.

Happens to everyone, sadly, no matter the platform. Originally, Bioware wasn't even going to stick with your character's look from ME1 and 2, and when ME3 came out, you were just fucked and had to recreate it. Cue 9000000000000000000000000000000 angry posts calling them a bunch of cunts, and they hacked together a solution that basically doesn't work (because your Shep will look NOTHING like what he/she did in 1 and 2), but for some reason seemed to mollify most people.

Nov 8, 2013, 01:45
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 01:45
Nov 8, 2013, 01:45

Sho wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 20:46:
Cabezone wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 20:42:
The ending would have worked out much better if Leviathan was included in the base game and the AI didn't take the form of a blue child.

Didn't really mind the child, but the child *voice actor* sure wasn't very robust IMHO.

Anyhow, many words have been said on that ending. I'm pretty talked out about it ... let's see where they take it now.

I didn't mind the child sequences that much, but at least with my ending they never went anywhere. I guess it was waiting for Chris Hanson to pop out.

It also didn't help that for some reason my ME1 and 2 Shepards looked the same, but for some reason in ME3 he looked like Dustin Hoffman from The Graduate instead. Wasn't the worst look ever or anything, but it was... random. This was on the 360 for what it is worth.
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Nov 8, 2013, 01:44
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 01:44
Nov 8, 2013, 01:44

Time has made you guys soft. ME3's ending really was as bad as the nerd-rage made it look. Think back on it long and hard, and remember.

I'm pretty sure I've played Mass Effect 3 far far far far far more times than you have. I'm also pretty sure that when the original ending came out, I was pretty fucking pissed at it, but I felt that they fixed my main issue with it (that every single one of them was identical and left the universe totally, utterly FUCKED) when they released the extended cut and retconned most of the bullshit.

I've also played their "look, we can't call it an ending DLC because Mac Walters would cry like the little whore he is, but really, this is simply the Ending DLC." in The Citadel DLC.

With the extended cut and the Citadel DLC, I have no issue with the way ME3 ended. Sure, the Catalyst/Star Child/Space Magic bullshit is still just plain fucking stupid and annoying, but that 15 minutes of Mac Walters drooltardery doesn't invalidate 100+ hours of excellent gaming, nor does it invalidate further stories for me.

If it does for you, then simply don't play the next one. Problem solved. I'm still definitely looking forward to it.

Oh, and:

The whole universe is getting fucked by Shepard and the Reapers anyway

No, because they retconned that. In every single ending, but especially the Destroy one, you see that the galaxy rebuilds, the gates get put back together, Earth is rebuilt, etc. No longer do the gates explode and wipe out the large majority of inhabited solar systems (which they stupidly just forgot about in the original ending, despite making such a big deal about it in the Arrival.)

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2013, 01:50.

Nov 8, 2013, 01:27
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 01:27
Nov 8, 2013, 01:27

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 22:53:
durandal wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 21:43:
I wonder which ending would be cannon for the next installment.
Blue perhaps? Controlling reapers felt wrong, but other choices eliminate things very unique to the Mass Effect world. (Red:AIs/Geths, Green:distinction of machines and organisms)

None, since the next game will be set BEFORE the first trilogy, or perhaps during. They've said that the end of ME3 is the storyline endpoint for the entire universe. Now they'll tell stories that happened earlier or at the same time.

No idea how ppl could get into that. Why should I give a shit about destroying blackmail data for person A and killing a druglord in another sidequest? Why would I give a shit about stopping the Adolf Hitler of the Mass Effect universe? The whole universe is getting fucked by Shepard and the Reapers anyway. Knowing this certainty kinda removes the will to live in that world or try to fix it.

Nov 8, 2013, 00:26
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 00:26
Nov 8, 2013, 00:26

I dunno, I'd like to see a totally unrelated character with a new slant on things added to the ME franchise.

I already know the cast and like them the way they are. Since I'm not going to have the opportunity to find out what happened to my plucky little red headed Femshep (I used the default ME1 pic for my femsheps), I honestly don't want tacked on background filler info. In the end, no matter how corny spaceboy was (really, the person in the dreams and that appeared should have at least been whoever died on Virmire), the main character managed to turn back the greatest threat the entire galaxy had ever faced... Playing crime solver Garrus or digging through ancient ruins as Tomb Raider Liara would just be anticlimactic.

A new set of characters frees them up to portray an epic story that might not be quite as epic in terms of scale and stakes at the end, but is still wonderful in it's own right.

Nov 8, 2013, 00:11
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 00:11
Nov 8, 2013, 00:11

Meh, good luck with that EA / Bioware.

Nov 7, 2013, 22:56
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:56
Nov 7, 2013, 22:56

Redmask wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 22:42:
Taskeen wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 22:37:
Please not an MMO. Please not an MMO. Please not an MMO.

EA won't do an MMO, why bother with all of those costs? It will have some sort of multiplayer with an ongoing revenue transactional component so they don't have to pay a lot of server upkeep like that pesky Star Wars game they made.

Mass Effect Field 4, cost $60. Buy Your Multiplayer Battlepacks on Origin now for only $9.99! Buy Premium at a 10% discount, only $49.99!

It seems like a joke but I can see it happening.

The cool thing about that is that I spent a grand total of zero dollars on the ME3 MP component (okay, technically I spent 80 bioware points, since I had those left in my account from long ago), and yet got all the classes, all the weapons, all the maps, etc. So as long as I can play it without having to buy anything, that'd be fine with me.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ME3 MP, especially once the huge range of classes was available. I just hope that for the next one, they'll either

A) Chain Eric Fagnan to the fucking wall
OR
B) Don't listen to the "WE MUST HAVE TEH BALANCE IN EVERYTHING OR TEH GAME WILL NOT LAST" mouthbreathing drooltards, who insisted that every class and every weapon do the exact same thing across the board.

Nov 7, 2013, 22:53
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:53
Nov 7, 2013, 22:53

durandal wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 21:43:
I wonder which ending would be cannon for the next installment.
Blue perhaps? Controlling reapers felt wrong, but other choices eliminate things very unique to the Mass Effect world. (Red:AIs/Geths, Green:distinction of machines and organisms)

None, since the next game will be set BEFORE the first trilogy, or perhaps during. They've said that the end of ME3 is the storyline endpoint for the entire universe. Now they'll tell stories that happened earlier or at the same time.

Nov 7, 2013, 22:52
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:52
Nov 7, 2013, 22:52

It won't be, they've already confirmed that. The MMO idea isn't completely off the table yet, but with so many MMOs now failing to recoup their budgets, much less make a profit, I doubt it'll get funding anytime soon.

I'm quite excited for a new Mass Effect, even though it won't be out 'til 2015 or so at the earliest. Also, that is some sweet equipment those Bioware guys are working on. What are those, like 40 inch touch screens? Damn.

Game informer also has a pretty cool (though somewhat short and a tad corny) tribute video

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2013, 23:07.

Nov 7, 2013, 22:42
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:42
Nov 7, 2013, 22:42

EA won't do an MMO, why bother with all of those costs? It will have some sort of multiplayer with an ongoing revenue transactional component so they don't have to pay a lot of server upkeep like that pesky Star Wars game they made.

Mass Effect Field 4, cost $60. Buy Your Multiplayer Battlepacks on Origin now for only $9.99! Buy Premium at a 10% discount, only $49.99!

It seems like a joke but I can see it happening.

Nov 7, 2013, 22:37
Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:37
Nov 7, 2013, 22:37

Nov 7, 2013, 22:18
Jivaro

Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:18
Nov 7, 2013, 22:18
 Jivaro

I would buy a spin-off solely about Liara.
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older