17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Consolidation
Oct 9, 2013, 07:37
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2013, 07:37
Oct 9, 2013, 07:37

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 15:25:
Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 14:27:
His timeframe might be off, but I don't think he's wholly wrong. We're moving towards consoles being just an environment, not a particular machine. Microsoft is pushing for it being an environment that runs on 3 screens that run Windows. Valve is now really moving towards this by making it just an OS that runs on any computer.

Making an environment, stored on a cloud, that anything with internet access and bluetooth can run (so long as you have a controller) seems like 100% where we're headed. Something on Kickstarter will get there first, then Valve, then MS and Sony together.

It's the holy grail of the desktop/gaming machine/entertainment center that's been inevitable for a decade now. There has been a lot of work done towards that end, it's just not as visible individually so people often miss the big picture (especially because they often want to deny it). Your definition of it as an "environment" is pretty much the point...people hate the DRM, the cloud, anything that takes away from them being able to control the experience, but these are "things" rather than the universe in which they exist.

As I pointed out in the thread about AMD's Mantle, this technology has been theorized and even working for well over five years now. Many different elements held it back, but it's kind of like overcoming the x86 architecture or silicon transistors; new technology on its own is not enough, it needs to be more cost effective. Some of the pieces weren't even there yet and even now are many years out (check my post on here about IPv6).

It's a bit of a movement towards a service (check out my post on here about Microsoft's subscriber/service focus over the gaming presence) or rather a series of services. It is a convergence of a sort, just in new ways that seem unexpected until you really look at it. I mean for example the social aspects (including the camera, recorded video, etc.), the entertainment (streaming), the hardware unification (x86, AMD APU + Mantle, even SteamBox + Nvidia on Linux). It's coming together but needs a generation to figure out the nuances.

So, yeah, actually your comments are pretty solid on this. "Environment" is the way to describe it, especially from a developer perspective. It's not surprising given that things are moving towards 3D, immersion (Oculus Rift), tactile touch-pads and screens, Google Glass, etc. Immersion isn't about things, it's about experiencing an environment, and Kickstarter has already had a big role in moving this along.

There is no way in hell you can do full VR in the Cloud. Content needs to be rendered locally to even attempt to meet the latency requirements, ideally in the headset itself.

Oct 9, 2013, 00:21
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2013, 00:21
Oct 9, 2013, 00:21

Quboid wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:11:
Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 11:33:
nin wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 11:15:
I'm really scratching my head about why character creation is such a pain in the ass. One of my few gripes with the game.

I dunno either, but this has happened three times to me now, so I'm just about done. I'll try again in a month or so, and if it's still a clusterfuck, I'm going to put the game on the shelf and wait for X-Rebirth. I understand that creating a persistent multiplayer experience isn't the easiest thing in the world to program, but the way Rockstar is going I fully expect their programmers to sit there going "Wait... So you want people to like... play TOGETHER? Like, in the SAME GAME? What witchcraft is this??!!"

I really don't recommend rushing into an X game if you don't want bugs!

Eh, Egosoft will fix them, they always do. Only once has it been a showstopper, so I'm not too worried.

Oct 8, 2013, 17:01
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 17:01
Oct 8, 2013, 17:01

PS5 won't be the cloud. Only Microsoft would be so foolish as to do that kind of move.

Oct 8, 2013, 16:11
Quboid

Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 16:11
Oct 8, 2013, 16:11
 Quboid

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 11:33:
I'm really scratching my head about why character creation is such a pain in the ass. One of my few gripes with the game.

I dunno either, but this has happened three times to me now, so I'm just about done. I'll try again in a month or so, and if it's still a clusterfuck, I'm going to put the game on the shelf and wait for X-Rebirth. I understand that creating a persistent multiplayer experience isn't the easiest thing in the world to program, but the way Rockstar is going I fully expect their programmers to sit there going "Wait... So you want people to like... play TOGETHER? Like, in the SAME GAME? What witchcraft is this??!!"

I really don't recommend rushing into an X game if you don't want bugs!

Oct 8, 2013, 15:25
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 15:25
Oct 8, 2013, 15:25

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 14:27:
His timeframe might be off, but I don't think he's wholly wrong. We're moving towards consoles being just an environment, not a particular machine. Microsoft is pushing for it being an environment that runs on 3 screens that run Windows. Valve is now really moving towards this by making it just an OS that runs on any computer.

Making an environment, stored on a cloud, that anything with internet access and bluetooth can run (so long as you have a controller) seems like 100% where we're headed. Something on Kickstarter will get there first, then Valve, then MS and Sony together.

It's the holy grail of the desktop/gaming machine/entertainment center that's been inevitable for a decade now. There has been a lot of work done towards that end, it's just not as visible individually so people often miss the big picture (especially because they often want to deny it). Your definition of it as an "environment" is pretty much the point...people hate the DRM, the cloud, anything that takes away from them being able to control the experience, but these are "things" rather than the universe in which they exist.

As I pointed out in the thread about AMD's Mantle, this technology has been theorized and even working for well over five years now. Many different elements held it back, but it's kind of like overcoming the x86 architecture or silicon transistors; new technology on its own is not enough, it needs to be more cost effective. Some of the pieces weren't even there yet and even now are many years out (check my post on here about IPv6).

It's a bit of a movement towards a service (check out my post on here about Microsoft's subscriber/service focus over the gaming presence) or rather a series of services. It is a convergence of a sort, just in new ways that seem unexpected until you really look at it. I mean for example the social aspects (including the camera, recorded video, etc.), the entertainment (streaming), the hardware unification (x86, AMD APU + Mantle, even SteamBox + Nvidia on Linux). It's coming together but needs a generation to figure out the nuances.

So, yeah, actually your comments are pretty solid on this. "Environment" is the way to describe it, especially from a developer perspective. It's not surprising given that things are moving towards 3D, immersion (Oculus Rift), tactile touch-pads and screens, Google Glass, etc. Immersion isn't about things, it's about experiencing an environment, and Kickstarter has already had a big role in moving this along.

Oct 8, 2013, 15:21
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 15:21
Oct 8, 2013, 15:21

Clouds are for storage, what he is talking about is something entirely different. Probably a server farm with many many CPU/GPU units. You will still need a box to receive controller signals or whatever they come up with to determine input.

Problem with such a scenario, the ISP's have to have much better throughput. I don't see that happening without the cable companies charging you a fortune.

Oct 8, 2013, 14:27
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 14:27
Oct 8, 2013, 14:27

Pigeon wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 13:08:
“The PS5 Probably Won’t Have a main console, but just the screen and controller. So what remains will be just the name of the service. It could be named just “PlayStation network”. Steam is defined a platform, but it’s not a hardware platform. It’s the name of the service.”

Except that Steam requires more than just a screen and a controller. It sounds more like he's talking about some kind of VDI/terminal setup. Technology just isn't a place to make that a reality, and I don't see it being in that place in 5-8 years either.

Oct 8, 2013, 14:21
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 14:21
Oct 8, 2013, 14:21

yea I've heard this all before
only it was 10 years ago

the next consoles won't be physical devices blah blah blah

maybe it'll happen if internet service becomes reliable and fast everywhere in the world where they sell their consoles and the games
US/UK aren't the only markets

Oct 8, 2013, 13:42
nin

Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 13:42
Oct 8, 2013, 13:42
 nin

Pigeon wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 13:08:
“The PS5 Probably Won’t Have a main console, but just the screen and controller. So what remains will be just the name of the service. It could be named just “PlayStation network”. Steam is defined a platform, but it’s not a hardware platform. It’s the name of the service.”

Except that Steam requires more than just a screen and a controller. It sounds more like he's talking about some kind of VDI/terminal setup. Technology just isn't a place to make that a reality, and I don't see it being in that place in 5-8 years either.

Yeah, they're just throwing shit at the wall...

Oct 8, 2013, 13:36
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 13:36
Oct 8, 2013, 13:36

"PlayStation 5 probably won’t be console, it’ll be a cloud service, says Tekken’s Harada."

How to share PS5 games with your friends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKdBecUSGP0

... oh, wait, right. It's a me, Cloudio!

Oct 8, 2013, 13:08
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 13:08
Oct 8, 2013, 13:08

Oct 8, 2013, 11:33
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 11:33
Oct 8, 2013, 11:33

Oct 8, 2013, 11:32
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 11:32
Oct 8, 2013, 11:32

Maybe in Japan, Harada. Certainly not in the rest of the world. Not even close.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Oct 8, 2013, 11:15
nin

Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 11:15
Oct 8, 2013, 11:15
 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 11:09:
If you receive the message "Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable" then players are asked to repeat the steps above. The post warns that pressing "Retry" on the message may lead to overwriting your existing character.

How about you fucking FIX that, Rockstar? And while you're at it, how about you fix me spending 30 minutes on a character and then you saddling me with the same Latino gimp (who looks nothing like the dude I'd made) every single time I try to play?

Oct 8, 2013, 11:09
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 11:09
Oct 8, 2013, 11:09

If you receive the message "Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable" then players are asked to repeat the steps above. The post warns that pressing "Retry" on the message may lead to overwriting your existing character.

How about you fucking FIX that, Rockstar? And while you're at it, how about you fix me spending 30 minutes on a character and then you saddling me with the same Latino gimp (who looks nothing like the dude I'd made) every single time I try to play?

Oct 8, 2013, 10:29
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 10:29
Oct 8, 2013, 10:29

How can this be? The Cloud is our savior!

During a cloud outage characters are not deleted.

"In other words, your character slots will be blank during a cloud outage but your characters have not been deleted

Oct 8, 2013, 10:02
Verno

Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 10:02
Oct 8, 2013, 10:02
 Verno

GTA Online has been a total clusterfuck. I have friends on both consoles complaining about lost characters, connection issues, inability to play missions and other problems. I have yet to even play it longer than 15 minutes personally without encountering some sort of problem. Rockstar fucked it up start to finish.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older