Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Dinner last night was great, thanks for the early leave. Actually to be honest, dinner was terrible, as the diner chosen for the occasion was committing crimes against food, but the company was awesome, so we had a great time. And Shana Tova (nice, right?) to all who are celebrating Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It's now 5774, but I'm sure I'll be writing 5773 on my checks for a couple of weeks yet (so happy I figured out how to double up on that joke every year). I'm very excited the NFL season kicks off tonight, and the early season is always fun due to the "everyone is a contender" illusion. Here's the promised reminder that we have a Blue's News competition underway on BeatTheInsiders, so set up a free account there and play along with us should you so desire.

Kickoff Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Aliens Like Milk.
Drawscape.
Stories: Novato man sues Blue Man Group, claiming injury by ball at show.
Science: Experimental compound reverses down syndrome-like learning deficits in mice.
Media: Mirror's Edge Parkour POV. Thanks GameInformer via Reddit.
Follow-up: Ars does Soylent, the finale: Soylent dreams for people.
The Funnies: The Garbage Thief Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2013, 08:49 Mr. Tact

shul wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 04:06:
keep this in mind when I come at the bottom.
No worries. Have fun, that is the goal.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2013, 04:06 shul

Shana Tova Blue

This year was ok I guess.. or maybe I just stopped caring..

I joined the league as the resident monkey, completely random, have no idea what I am doing so I went ahead and voted for all of the games. keep this in mind when I come at the bottom.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 23:50 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 23:14:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 20:01:
WOW! We have 29 people in the football picks, and the % of Ravens vs Broncos is 4% vs 96%!!!!!
Looks like currently one person has SD over Houston also.

Enh, I wanted to pick SD, but I've decided I'm doing the logical picks this year instead of picking with my heart - except where the Packers are concerned of course.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 23:14 Mr. Tact

WOW! We have 29 people in the football picks, and the % of Ravens vs Broncos is 4% vs 96%!!!!!
Looks like currently one person has SD over Houston also.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 20:19 Retired

WarPig wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 20:06:

Ok, where do you see that?

When you are looking at your picks, there is a little arrow under each game that shows you %s. Shows you our group vs everyone.

I wrote an extensive email to the website - the website is terrible compared to what it used to be. Not sure why they took so much out.

Oh well, it works for what we need right now, but in this case, CHANGE IS NOT GOOD!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 20:06 WarPig

Ok, where do you see that?

GO SEAHAWKS!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 20:01 Retired

GO BRONCOS! PAYBACK BABY!

Only 16% of 25,000 picks are for Ravens. Their team is decimated, less than half of the starters are back, and their D is toast. Payton, 400 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 18:55 Creston

mag wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 18:47:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 16:32:
mag wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:40:
Is anyone having any trouble getting Beat The Insiders to work? I created an account, but clicking anywhere does absolutely nothing. I can't pick teams.

It seems to be either a Flash or Java site. Do you have either of those not installed, by any chance?

I did have Java disabled. I tried enabling it, but still clicking does nothing anywhere on the page for my picks or for the league. Bah.

Try updating flash directly from Adobe's website. make sure to restart your browser also.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 18:47 mag

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 16:32:
Is anyone having any trouble getting Beat The Insiders to work? I created an account, but clicking anywhere does absolutely nothing. I can't pick teams.

It seems to be either a Flash or Java site. Do you have either of those not installed, by any chance?

I did have Java disabled. I tried enabling it, but still clicking does nothing anywhere on the page for my picks or for the league. Bah.

20. Re: BL2 Grind Sep 5, 2013, 17:13 Retired

PHJF wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:41:
Drops are increased in UVHM (as is chest quality). Legendary Loot Midgets were treasure troves of orange items, but I heard they got nerfed. Anyhow once you hit 50 you really should move onto UVHM.

And bring slag.

I am probably on playthrough 2....I will beat it quick and hit 3rd one I guess...

19. Re: Football!! Sep 5, 2013, 16:34 Creston

WarPig wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:47:
Well, the truth is I just don't game much anymore. I do need to buy Grid2 and am really looking forward to GTA5 but other than that I've just kind of stopped gaming and I'm not even sure why. Now that I think about it, it might be the invention of the DVR - only so many hours in the day. Hell, I still need to finish the Half Life episodes and I freakin' love Half Life!

That said, I do miss the great people here and still occasionally lurk about.

I hear that. It's hard to find time for some diversions these days, though in my case I just game and ignore everything else.

Good to see you again man

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 16:32 Creston

17. Re: Football!! Sep 5, 2013, 16:22 nin

am really looking forward to GTA5

Bats setup a GTA clan, BTW. http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/bluesnews

Not sure how it's going to work, with folks on different platforms. I'm guessing what each player does gets added to the overall score/pot?

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 16:18 Mr. Tact

Here is the link: https://www.beattheinsiders.com/#/league/311

Edit: Wow, up to 28 people.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 15:55 WarPig

You've probably already done all this but this is what I had to do - register at the site and then re-click the link Blue provided in today's OOTB. Once in there the Bluesnews group will be in the middle of the screen and the area to the left is where you click to start making picks.

GO SEAHAWKS!

14. Re: Football!! Sep 5, 2013, 15:47 WarPig

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:19:
nin wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:18:
Pig, where you been? Someone was just asking about you the other day...

Whoa... a WarPig sighting! 'Sup, Pig?!

Well, the truth is I just don't game much anymore. I do need to buy Grid2 and am really looking forward to GTA5 but other than that I've just kind of stopped gaming and I'm not even sure why. Now that I think about it, it might be the invention of the DVR - only so many hours in the day. Hell, I still need to finish the Half Life episodes and I freakin' love Half Life!

That said, I do miss the great people here and still occasionally lurk about.

GO SEAHAWKS!

13. Re: BL2 Grind Sep 5, 2013, 15:41 PHJF

Drops are increased in UVHM (as is chest quality). Legendary Loot Midgets were treasure troves of orange items, but I heard they got nerfed. Anyhow once you hit 50 you really should move onto UVHM.

And bring slag.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 15:40 mag

11. Re: BL2 Grind Sep 5, 2013, 15:22 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 14:33:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:52:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:32:
So I fired up BL2 last night for 7 hours. I was level 49 and dinged 50 (finally) and am only halfway through level 51.....seems like a bit of a grind now.

Once you reach 50, the DLCs give you piss-all in XP. It's like 2500 per mission, or 4200 if it's a main mission. The only way to really level up with any kind of speed after 50 is to play on UVHM, where you get 20-50K XP for big missions and like 8-10K for minor side-quest ones.

That is part of the problem, is that the drops aren't allowing me to keep getting better weapons, I am having a hard time surviving as it is. I was lucky enough to get some level 50 stuff from a friend....might be time to start using my 199 keys...

Kill the Warrior a few dozen times. You should be pretty decently kitted out by that point, and he really only takes a few minutes to kill (which is whittled down to ~ 10 seconds if you're fortunate enough that he drops a Conference Call, which he actually DOES drop at least somewhat reasonably.)

just loaded, I am already in TVHM

TVHM, not UVHM? Ie, playthrough 2, not 3? Playing TVHM when you're over 50 just kills the XP rewards.

10. Re: Football!! Sep 5, 2013, 15:19 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:18:
Pig, where you been? Someone was just asking about you the other day...

Whoa... a WarPig sighting! 'Sup, Pig?!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo