10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Interviews
Aug 24, 2013, 17:18
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 17:18
Aug 24, 2013, 17:18

My X-Wing/TIE heartbreaker game would have a full single player campaign at least (the "other side" could easily be an expansion/DLC, I'd pay 20 bucks for that).

A level editor.

You'd have co-op missions designed specifically around co-op. Head to head missions naturally.

I'd also have an online "Galactic War" mode. If possible, max of 128 players per fight. It might require a subscription to play depending on how complex it was.

Remember the Bone Yards for Total Annihilation? Where you had the galactic war as their multiplayer? Yeah think that... on crack.

Each multiplayer session one player can either volunteer or is selected on each side to be the battle commander. Reputation is used as a deciding factor. You can also abstain, though that doesn't count if everyone on your team abstains.

Commanders have a 3d map similar to Homeworld, and they're the only ones that can communicate between flight wings. They set waypoints, target priorities, and coordinate backup and capital ships that may or may not be in the area. They have the ability to "escalate" the conflict and open up more player slots/resources, but if they do the other side will escalate automatically, and the battle is worth more.

Pilots gain experience not on their kill/loss ratio but by how well they execute orders. Following waypoints and sticking to your missions nets you XP, which can allow you to pilot experimental (read: EU) craft if they open up in the battle. You're rewarded minimally based on how good a pilot you are and largely by how well you work as part of the team.

At the end of each mission, the pilots on each team get a simple thumbs up/thumbs down vote on how good their commander was. This provides a ratio/score for each commander, allowing you to see before a mission how good your commander is, and in the event of a draft commander, is the score by which the player is chosen.

Each mission starts out with, say, 1000 points on each side. As missions are accomplished, those points are reallocated. As you take losses you lose points as well. If you ever choose to escalate, 1000 points are added immediately to the stakes, and new player slots are opened up. If players don't join, the stakes are still higher. So think carefully before you escalate.

At the end of the day, each system that is contested on the map totals the points of each mission. Whichever faction has a higher score takes the system. Some systems provide bonuses (extra missiles, advanced weaponry, and even a few that provide access to experimental craft), some are desirable because they open up hyperspace routes deep into enemy territory to contest, etc etc...

When players join the mission they're given the option of flight wings the Commander has drawn up (resources committed may give you a starting point total), and you join that wing. So on a bombing run there may be one element of x-wings for fighter support and 2 y-wing bomber wings. You can't always play the ship you want. Higher XP probably would give you the option to fly the ship of your choice if you join in pre-mission.

Guilds would be called Squadrons naturally enough, and their "guild hall" would be a squadron rec room that they could customize and decorate. Local leaderboards, squad insigna, and similar to the trophies from Alliance, memorabilia and trophies from your accumulated victories.

Recruiting squadrons may or may not be cheaper than recruiting random pilots. The point here is to organize.

There's more to the design I thought up, but that's the basic skeleton of it.

Aug 24, 2013, 16:52
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 16:52
Aug 24, 2013, 16:52

DangerDog wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 00:22:
If they insist on supporting xbox 360 and PS3 then whatever they put out for Star Wars won't be all that great.

I'd make games based on Han Solo using the old books that put him in the Corporate Sector. No force powers, little Empire, but solid stories with interesting atmosphere.

Actually, I thought that if you did a Steel Battalion style controller you could totally do a pretty epic X-wing game on the console. Space combat sims aren't exactly heavy on the resources these days.

I'd plunk 150-200 bucks down for an x-wing cockpit and game. And maybe even the TIE companion.

Aug 24, 2013, 15:32
nin

Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 15:32
Aug 24, 2013, 15:32
 nin

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 15:10:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 22:47:
Square Enix Head Talks Successes, Confirms Tomb Raider Reboot Sold More Than 4 Million.

Only two million more to go, until they reach their initial goal.

What's going on over there? Three million and it's the apocalypse, four million and it's the land of milk and honey.

Very true. But I still can't believe their numbers were that out of whack to begin with...

Aug 24, 2013, 15:10
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 15:10
Aug 24, 2013, 15:10

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 22:47:
Square Enix Head Talks Successes, Confirms Tomb Raider Reboot Sold More Than 4 Million.

What's going on over there? Three million and it's the apocalypse, four million and it's the land of milk and honey.
Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

Aug 24, 2013, 10:09
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 10:09
Aug 24, 2013, 10:09

No more Old Republic and Clone Wars bullshit, please. Old Republic is really getting, yes, ... old. Same old Sith vs. Jedi all the time. Win some, lose some. Each side gains the upper hand for a week or two and then the other side strikes back, ad nauseam, ad infinitum, ad mega-yawneum .

I do believe that EA could deliver. Some of their games might not be everyone's cup of tea but their games are nearly all technically flawless, high quality productions so they might be able to nail it.
It's also nice to know that the OT is still on the table. We haven't seen any OT material in waaaay too long and if Battlefront is getting Hoth and speeders and AT-ATs then that is a massive step in the right direction. The escape from Hoth is one of those settings that can (almost) not be revisited enough times.

As for a Jedi Knight, I would love to see either something in the Order 66 era (between Episodes III and IV like Force Unleashed but executed much better and with Vader, Palps, Obi, Yoda and maybe a young Princess Leia towards the later parts of a new JK series) or some New Jedi Order stuff which we will probably get from 2015 on anyway when the new flicks come out.

RPG-wise, as I said I'm more than done with the Old Republic setting and I never thought that the original games were that great anyway. KotOR sucked with its lame story, cliche characters, tiny levels (Xbox restriction) and limited inventory (guess what... Xbox restriction again). Would love to see something more along the lines of The Witcher. Mature audience. Strong focus on one hero/heroine with followers. That sort of thing.

Well, and of course it'd be more than awesome if they returned to space but my hopes of that are zero. I bet they'll do some arcade crap (tablets/mobiles) as soon as the new movies are out but a "serious" space sim with a campaign will probably never happen again unless it is a fan project for another game (here's to hoping that Star Wars modders will be all over Star Citizen's editor the minute that comes out).

Aug 24, 2013, 03:34
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 03:34
Aug 24, 2013, 03:34

Do a proper KotOR which features Revan

They've totally forgotten about the original KotOR, do they even remember why they named the MMO ToR

Aug 24, 2013, 00:22
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 00:22
Aug 24, 2013, 00:22

If they insist on supporting xbox 360 and PS3 then whatever they put out for Star Wars won't be all that great.

I'd make games based on Han Solo using the old books that put him in the Corporate Sector. No force powers, little Empire, but solid stories with interesting atmosphere.

Aug 23, 2013, 22:47
nin

Re: Evening Interviews Aug 23, 2013, 22:47
Aug 23, 2013, 22:47
 nin

Aug 23, 2013, 22:19
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 23, 2013, 22:19
Aug 23, 2013, 22:19

walrus1 wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 22:13:
Look EA here is how you make a great Star Wars game in four very easy steps!

Step 1: Play X-Wing and then Play Tie Fighter

I'd add the Jedi Knight series to that, and KOTOR (the non MMO-RPG version, at least). There are some really good Star Wars games, it's just kind of strange to think that there haven't been any in so long now.

Aug 23, 2013, 22:13
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 23, 2013, 22:13
Aug 23, 2013, 22:13

Look EA here is how you make a great Star Wars game in four very easy steps!

Step 1: Play X-Wing and then Play Tie Fighter
Step 2: Remake those games for modern machines with great graphics
Step 3: Don't add your DRM BS and don't chop large chunks out to sell as DLC
Step 4: Enjoy massive profits!

Of course they won't do a proper space sim and any game will be just be a DLC nightmare.
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older